Back to Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students

Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students, University of Pittsburgh

About this Course

Understanding the clinical terms and abbreviations commonly used during verbal or written communication in U.S. hospitals is challenging. This course is designed for U.S. health care profession students and for international students and practitioners who want to become more familiar with the language of the U.S. clinical setting. Others, such as caregivers and medical interpreters, who wish to develop a better understanding of terms and abbreviations used by health care providers will find this course helpful. The course provides visual and auditory learning experiences to enhance the understanding of terms and abbreviations commonly encountered on a general U.S. hospital unit. All content including quizzes are available at no cost to the learner. If you need a certificate, you can apply for financial aid or pay the fee. To find out more, click Learn more and apply next to the information about Financial Aid. (Use a computer, not a mobile device, for this step.)...

By FB

Jan 02, 2018

This course was really helpful. I took notes and will review them often to keep abreast with the medical terms. These will also help me communicate clinically with my PCP. I truly enjoyed this course!

By SH

Aug 26, 2017

I found this course to be very helpful. It was thought out, it was clear, it made you think critically. It changed your mind set intentionally for learning purposes, and it was effective for me.

86 Reviews

By Janice N White

Jan 01, 2019

Interesting course with well developed and engaging content

By Amruta V Vora

Dec 13, 2018

Its really useful. I have learn many new abbreviations that I was not aware of. It's nice to have this course done.

By Julianna Szczepanski

Nov 30, 2018

I enjoyed the challenging quizzes by the end of the course. Thank you Dr. Swigart.

By Diane Wold

Nov 28, 2018

Great!

By Kathleen Mascarenhas

Nov 26, 2018

Easy and nice. Learnt alot

By Monica Salcedo

Nov 04, 2018

Medical terminology is the standardized means of communication within the healthcare industry. The importance of fluency in medical terminology, which applies to all hospital personnel, including allied healthcare professionals, cannot be overstated.

By Omnia M

Oct 23, 2018

Great

By Florina-Anamaria Mang

Oct 16, 2018

Splendid!!

By Nathan Edward Marr

Oct 16, 2018

Very good course for learning how to speak with medical terms. I have had no real training in the health care field, but I work at a hospital and I want to get ahead in the administrative side of health care. This was a great course for the person taking his first health care baby steps. Next step is Intro to Human Anatomy.

By Wadha

Sep 29, 2018

I had so much fun learning these new Terminology and Abbreviation , also the information about each disease , equipment and system. i would like to thank everyone made and helped in making this amazing course . ❤😢