Back to Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students by University of Pittsburgh

Understanding the clinical terms and abbreviations commonly used during verbal or written communication in U.S. hospitals is challenging. This course is designed for U.S. health care profession students and for international students and practitioners who want to become more familiar with the language of the U.S. clinical setting. Others, such as caregivers and medical interpreters, who wish to develop a better understanding of terms and abbreviations used by health care providers will find this course helpful. The course provides visual and auditory learning experiences to enhance the understanding of terms and abbreviations commonly encountered on a general U.S. hospital unit. All content including quizzes are available at no cost to the learner. If you need a certificate, you can apply for financial aid or pay the fee. To find out more, click Learn more and apply next to the information about Financial Aid. (Use a computer, not a mobile device, for this step.)...

FB
Jan 1, 2018

This course was really helpful. I took notes and will review them often to keep abreast with the medical terms. These will also help me communicate clinically with my PCP. I truly enjoyed this course!

ER
Apr 15, 2019

The instructor's calm and clear explanations make this a joy to watch.\n\nThis course is very useful for me as a medical product translator to get an understanding of the actual clinical environment.

26 - 50 of 610 Reviews for Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students

By Rocio U

Jan 5, 2021

Very good course, I have learned a lot. Thanks.

By Olena T

Nov 16, 2020

Super.

Very helpful.

Well organised.

Thanks a lot.

By Tran V T

Jan 13, 2020

understandable, fundamental, absolutely useful.

By Nguyen C T

Sep 5, 2019

your course is really useful for medical staffs

By Stacy H R

Jul 31, 2021

Excellent beginning to my new field of studies

By Diana L G C

Feb 13, 2021

It really helped to improve my medical english

By Young-Im H

Oct 27, 2020

I have a very positive experience in learning.

By Omnia S

Oct 21, 2017

i

By Naomi L

Jul 30, 2020

It was definitely informative, but it would help if the medical dictionary had the words in it that they want you to look up in these lessons. Also several times I would try to look up a word with an asterisk in the PRS list and would be unable to find any part of the word in the list. My mother (who has worked in hospitals several times in her life and is familiar with medical terminology) couldn't find any part of some of those words in the list. It would also be extremely helpful if you could have some way of knowing what you got wrong in a quiz. Several times there would be a problem with several answers that seemed to be the same but with different wording, or there was a question in the beginning asking who the doctor is speaking to (the answer was not immediately clear and the question had nothing to do with medical terminology) and when it was marked wrong you had no way that I could find of discovering why your answer was wrong.

By Christina N

Aug 28, 2019

Some of the shorthand used in this course is not relevant in the clinical setting. The videos in week 6 were also cringy in the way the nurses handled the pt and how they carried out the procedures. The way they did things would be flagged immediately in the clinical setting.

Overall though it was a decent learning experience to add to my knowledge of clinical terms, and is a good basic introduction to what you will hear while working in a clinical setting.

By Juan G R

Aug 24, 2019

the recordings on most of the quizzes and practice quizzes were not working no matter the computer I was on or the browser I was using. Aprt from that I found the course to be very useful and interesting.

By Gavyn T

Aug 10, 2020

A lot less info than I would've thought, and some occasional typos and errors. The PRS list hardly helpful at all.

By Amani A A

Aug 14, 2018

this is a very superficial course. it was very helpful but it lacked depth and continuity

By shriyadixit

Apr 20, 2020

i complete all course not get certificate soo annoying this thing i dont like it !

By M Y

Oct 23, 2021

The common language of the world is English. Physicians can communicate with each other and with allied health personnel in English, which is the common language in all countries of the world. This course allows you to learn about the abbreviations of medical definitions, their order, normal values, abnormal values, names of diseases, medical emergencies and medical interventions while working in a healthcare facility. It seems difficult at first (for non-native English speakers), but after a little bit of progress, it is seen to be completed successfully. A big thank you to Dr Swigart and her team and the University of Pittsburgh who prepared the course.

Murat Yağmurca, Bursa, Turkey.

By Andrea D

Oct 30, 2020

It was a great pleasure and privilege to learn from Prof. Valerie Swigart and Ass. Prof. Michael Gold. What one has learnt is essential but very important life-saving essential methods, symptoms, procedures, equipment, descriptions. I have also learnt many new things with special focus on abbreviations which are a minefield. It was wonderful to be able to be virtually present in the hospital, and do the quizzes. The quizzes are thorough and extensive, and really enable one to revise and consolidate what one has learnt. I am grateful for the knowledge and resources they have shared.

By Sue L

Aug 6, 2020

I can't say how much I like the course. It is perfect including the content and the learning style. I am not only learned it also I gained the confidence of learning medical knowledge in a second language. I always seek an opportunity to learn something related to work in a Pharmacy too. (that is my dream job) but I didn't find one can match my goal in Coursera so far. I hope I can have one to learn to start my dream career in a pharmacy. Also, I want to thank the teacher in the videos. She explains so well and shows so much patient to speak slowly and clearly. Thank you so much!

By Tri N

Oct 1, 2020

This is really a helpful course for all medical students, regardless of being an international or U.S students. I highly recommend this for you because of some reasons. First of all, you will be taught by a supportive lecturer who gives you step by step instructions about how to decode many abbreviations in clinical circumstances. Secondly, the course will give you a list of PRS (prefix, root, suffix) that really come in handy with my campus life. Thus, I assure you that it will useful for you too.

By Janice S

Nov 10, 2020

Thank you for the time put in developing this course. I found it to be extremely helpful and quite educational. I particularly enjoyed the scenarios in module 6 that showed what it would be like in a clinical setting. The vocal demonstrations of the terms were great as well. I really appreciate all that I have learned and I feel that I have gained greater knowledge of terminology used in a clinical setting and am sure that this will be beneficial in my career.

By Alice X H

Aug 20, 2021

I learned some new medical terminology in English on American clinic unit even if I am a doctor. I graduated from my undergraduate university and graduate university in China. I have been living in the Bay Area for almost two years. I must learn more medical terminology in English and be familiar with American clinic situation. I hope I can work as a physician again at a hospital in the U.S. in the future. I'd like to help more people. Thanks so much.

By Rafael V d S C

Sep 25, 2019

It was a great opportunity to learn the basics on Clinical Terminology and really helped me through a clinical experience I had the chance to do after completing the course! It allowed me to have the first and important contact with most terms and abbreviations commonly used in different scenarios of healthcare professions. Great course instructors, easy to read and comprehensible materials. Highly recommendable.

By Nguyễn T Q G

Sep 14, 2021

The course is very useful for students who approach medical practice for the first time. Although it can't provide all the medical abbreviations due to limited time, I gain an overview about clinical terminology, which can help my studylotlot. The most thing I like about this course is that the teacher taught me how to decode comlicated medical words by myself. It's absolutely worth studying this course.

By Laura D H T

An excellent course. Topics gradually increase in difficulty, building up on previous lessons so as to continue to practice and not forget the knowledge acquired in the first weeks. I found it most useful and I was actually able to put in into practice today at work (as an over-the-phone interpreter), as I encountered the term "syncopal episode", which I learned during this course.