Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

Creative Writing: The Craft of Style, Wesleyan University

About this Course

Your style is as unique and distinctive as your face, your voice, except that you can choose it, you can can work on it, enhance it. In this course we will introduce aspiring writers to the art of putting pressure on written language. We will study the use of metaphor and imagery, and demonstrate how clarity, grace, and inventiveness in word choice are imperative to a story’s success. Writers will emerge with the revision skills essential to all writers of good stories and good prose....

By MS

Apr 19, 2016

Great class for the content I needed. I audited this class and benefited from the theory discussion and practical exercises. The class guided me to improve my writing style which was my ultimate goal.

By LR

Dec 18, 2018

Lessons were well done, good mix of teaching and illuminating discussion between accomplished writers. Exercises are creative and well thought out. Feedback from classmates is generally helpful.

148 Reviews

By Leo J Ryan

Dec 18, 2018

By Victoria France Stavish

Dec 14, 2018

This is the course I had been looking for, but didn't know it! I enjoyed the professor and the exercises, which were about putting pen to paper, so to speak. Just what I needed and wanted. I feel very much myself as a writer after doing these assignments, reviewing the work of other writers, and receiving insightful peer reviews. Thank you for offering this course and specialization!

By Laura-Alexandra Chis

Dec 09, 2018

Loved every bit of it! Gets the creative juices flowing!

By Patricia Goodson

Dec 05, 2018

Excellent course I appreciate the conversations with visiting writers. Prof. Scibona is an engaging teacher and clearly presents useful information. The list of words to avoid was worth the entire course.

By Alfred Kamara-Laye

Nov 27, 2018

I did not know what this meant when I started. I thought you just right once you get the flow. now I can write and review my work checking my style of writing and learnt a lot form the interviews from visiting professors.

teacher is cool and sometime I loved your way of teaching.

By Milagros Vilaplana

Nov 26, 2018

I was fascinated with this course. I think it raises the bar on how to become a better writer fro the reader's sake. Writing is more like painting and less than retelling. It's important to respect the reader's intelligence, she/ he can figure out the obvious, and as writers we want to entertain, engage the reader's curiosity, provide pleasure in the human senses. I also found it one of the most challenging of the courses because of the emphasis and care we should take in word choice. Words are the substance of all good writing, they should not be squandered!

By Brigitte Pace

Nov 19, 2018

Great tutors. Thank you!

By Shalini .P. Sawkar

Nov 14, 2018

This was a particularly difficult course among the others. Expectations were higher, assignments were tougher, but it helped me immensely in writing better. Polishing my writing and editing. My writing has become crisp, and specific. I am more confident as a writer now.

By Christine Wilinsky

Nov 13, 2018

I really enjoyed this class and got out of it exactly what I put into it. The only thing I disliked was the exercise where where the subject matter was specified and I had to write about that particular matter rather than creating my own. I get that the entire point of the exercise was to execute what the gist of the lesson was, but personally, I prefer to write about my own content rather than being restricted to A reacts to B and what is C.

By Denise Fortman

Oct 31, 2018

These four Creative Writing courses have given me great new tools for writing. I approach each piece with a new confidence and creativity.