Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style by Wesleyan University

Your style is as unique and distinctive as your face, your voice, except that you can choose it, you can can work on it, enhance it. In this course we will introduce aspiring writers to the art of putting pressure on written language. We will study the use of metaphor and imagery, and demonstrate how clarity, grace, and inventiveness in word choice are imperative to a story’s success. Writers will emerge with the revision skills essential to all writers of good stories and good prose....

MS
Apr 18, 2016

Great class for the content I needed. I audited this class and benefited from the theory discussion and practical exercises. The class guided me to improve my writing style which was my ultimate goal.

LR
Dec 17, 2018

Lessons were well done, good mix of teaching and illuminating discussion between accomplished writers. Exercises are creative and well thought out. Feedback from classmates is generally helpful.

76 - 100 of 251 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Style

By Terry R W

Jun 9, 2020

I learned a lot about style in this course- and discovering that my favourite author (Jane Austen) was one of the first to use FIS, has me going back to read her again!

By Veda D

This course was exactly what I wanted. it helped me be a better writer. I have improved every week because of all the interesting exercises. I enjoyed it tremendously.

By Nevil M

Jan 18, 2019

Fantastic! I like the streamline part and usage of punching word ( nouns and verbs). Prof. Scibona Thank you for pointing out the do's / don'ts and other valuable tips

By José A C R

Apr 2, 2017

A great course that forces you to evaluate and re-evaluate the way in which you write, facing you with decisions to improve your style that are sometimes hard to make.

By Matthias N Y

Mar 28, 2018

You have awaken my passions of writing. Your assignments helped me to improve. Could you please send me your email contact for further chat and details.

Many thanks.

By Renee C W

Aug 30, 2018

Great instructive lectures and study materials, excellent assignments for honing your craft. Even as a seasoned fiction writer, I learned so much from this course!

By Edith-Marie R

May 25, 2017

Had a lot of fun Took a little more time than I anticipated but it was good practice and good for practicing and pushing my writing a bit (I was getting rusty...).

By SD J

Oct 23, 2018

Salvatore Scibona is awesome!

His enthusiasm is infectious. I've learned a lot of new techniques. More importantly, I've started to think differently about prose.

By mu�oz S R

Nov 27, 2020

Me gusto mucho este curso, muy útil. Me gustaron los videos, los conceptos, las actividades extra. Solo me gustaría agregarle algunos textos y estaría de diez.

By Kaitlyn B

Oct 18, 2019

I really enjoyed this class, especially Professor Scibona, as he reminds me of my favorite uncle. He also explained what he meant in true storyteller fashion.

By Pooja S

Sep 8, 2018

Salvatore Scibona is excellent and his teaching style is very engaging. I have enjoyed the craft of style and gained a lot of useable information out of it.

By Luisa

Sep 21, 2017

I would definitely recommend this course. The professor is amazing! He makes everything so easy to understand and you really appreciate the art of writing!

By Ibrahim N

Mar 8, 2017

Very interesting and educating course. I am very happy that I had a chance to learn something about creative writing from the writer such Salvator Scibona.

By Gaby S

Jun 4, 2020

I loved this course. It was packed with useful information and advice. I needed amazed by how much I learned in such short videos. Thank you, Salvatore!

By S. J W

May 13, 2016

I thought the videos were excellent and the interviews of great value. I always download the text, create a .docx, and follow the videos word-for-word.

By Inés K

Dec 20, 2018

I've only done week 1 so far, but I just love the way Salvatore Scibona talks about writing, his enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to the next weeks!

By Ian B

Jun 20, 2017

By far the most useful course in the Creative Writing Specialization. It really helps you revamp your writing by making it leaner and more focused.

By Lorenzo M V I

Dec 18, 2016

This course takes your writing craft up a notch! The writer hones his or her clarity while becoming a sharp editor and more powerful storyteller.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

This had been my favorite one, incredibly practical and useful, I feel that I can understand better how to construct my story in a believable way.

By Muzun A

Jul 17, 2020

This is the best course in the specialization. Very good and informative with no repetition of the same information. I learned a lot. Thank you.

By Monica N M

Oct 16, 2019

Easy to follow, content goes deep into what the mind of a great experienced writer looks like. Highly recommend for people of any writing level!

By Damilola O

May 24, 2017

This course has taught me so many things that I would not have learnt otherwise. Thank you for creating this course! I enjoyed it thoroughly.

By Denise F

Oct 31, 2018

These four Creative Writing courses have given me great new tools for writing. I approach each piece with a new confidence and creativity.

By Max H

Jul 7, 2017

i love his way of teaching. very educational and pedagogical. I'm a visual learner and this catered to me more than the other craft courses

By Casey

Mar 23, 2016

Excellent class for learning prose and editing. I wish there was a class to learn even more about the craft of style, an advanced class.