Back to Designing, Running, and Analyzing Experiments

Designing, Running, and Analyzing Experiments, University of California San Diego

3.6

About this Course

You may never be sure whether you have an effective user experience until you have tested it with users. In this course, you’ll learn how to design user-centered experiments, how to run such experiments, and how to analyze data from these experiments in order to evaluate and validate user experiences. You will work through real-world examples of experiments from the fields of UX, IxD, and HCI, understanding issues in experiment design and analysis. You will analyze multiple data sets using recipes given to you in the R statistical programming language -- no prior programming experience is assumed or required, but you will be required to read, understand, and modify code snippets provided to you. By the end of the course, you will be able to knowledgeably design, run, and analyze your own experiments that give statistical weight to your designs....

By DS

Jun 04, 2017

This was really useful. The course was well structured and provided excellent real-life examples that are easily transferrable to other scenarios. Keep it up!

By ZW

Jul 26, 2017

Have to watch three times to keep up because it is really hard for people without former experiences... Anyway it is worth it

136 Reviews

By Emerson Wright

Mar 17, 2019

This should really be broken up into several separate classes. It is a whole lot at 1 time.

By Faraz Ahmed Khan

Mar 10, 2019

as a first introduction to the analytical side of quantitative/ qualitative experimentation amazing course, pulls you in... it is tough and requires more time than what is mentioned... but totally worth it.

By Jared Gillespie

Mar 07, 2019

I feel like the course overall was important. I'm glad I have the basic idea of how I can crunch research data using R. However, the course could be difficult and perhaps a bit deep for many people looking toward UX design. The instructor suffers from the academia cliche of having so much knowledge and skill that he can't always help students on a very introductory level. Case in point reading the class notes (a task usually unimportant and ignored by most users) is required, and yet even those notes are written from a perspective of knowledge of the subject. It's a bit like coming into a Spanish 1 class, looking to learn a bit about Spanish and the professor hands you a syllabus of which parts are written in Spanish. While I recovered from this shock, I think for many this snowballs into growing frustration and failure.

Add to this the complexity of coding across different computer operating systems and versions. There are times when you get an error and you don't know why. In a classroom the professor might tell you, "oh you forgot to _______". Here you can ask and you might get a response days or weeks later. It could also get so complex that even the professor is not sure what is going on. I had an error and there was no resolution, I had to google and solve it myself.

Overall, I'm glad I took the course. I had some really painful moments but I also solved problems and completed complex tasks, which felt rewarding. I definitely appreciate the approach of the professor, splitting time between lecture and hands on and having hands on assessment at the end.

By Ram

Feb 27, 2019

Without any background in R programming and experiment design, I am able to learn a lot of useful stuff in this course. I wish the last three lessons and quizzes are a little more beginner friendly.

By Cristine Louise Manasan

Feb 12, 2019

This is a very interesting and an important area in the Interaction Design Specialisation. This should have a dedicated specialisation on its own. While the exercises and the lectures are pretty decent,I don't think it's adequate to really grasp and master this subject. However, it's still a pretty good introduction enough to give someone a basic working knowledge.

By Jacky (Liang Hao) Zhao

Feb 10, 2019

Great course. You explained the topics very clearly!

By Luciana Vidolin Martins

Jan 26, 2019

Alunos podem ter dificuldade em baixar o programa. Tive que usar outro computador. Os testes são muito detalhistas e não acho que isso seja um conteúdo adequado para o curso, uma coisa seria ensinar sobre como realizar testes com usuários e técnicas outra é ter a necessidade de usar códigos e contas sendo que um programa de analitísticas mostraria o resultado sem precisar de todo esse esforço.

By Alfredo Hernandez

Jan 12, 2019

This had been the hardest class ever. I don't even know how I passed but also I don't see how I can remember to use Rcode for future work within HCI

By Richard Hodson

Dec 21, 2018

I liked the professor. He explained things well. My concern with this course it the understanding of it. I can do command line commands but figuring out which commands to use for each quiz question is complicated. The first few weeks I figured out which sections of the coursera.R file to use. Later weeks were more complicated. Perhaps files with commands and comments on a per week basis would be best. Not giving the answers to the student, but at least giving more context per file would be very helpful.

By erin

Dec 18, 2018

i can't figure out how to contact anyone about issues with the program used for this course... i have posted in discussions and searched for ways to contact someone and found nothing. more support is needed when using a program that isn't functioning the way we are taught. i'm about to take the quiz for week 6 but 2 of the main functions used gave errors and i'm not sure how to go from there since no contact or help is found readily. this is ruining this course for me, realizing that no support is available for significant issues like this