Back to Designing, Running, and Analyzing Experiments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Designing, Running, and Analyzing Experiments by University of California San Diego

3.6

You may never be sure whether you have an effective user experience until you have tested it with users. In this course, you’ll learn how to design user-centered experiments, how to run such experiments, and how to analyze data from these experiments in order to evaluate and validate user experiences. You will work through real-world examples of experiments from the fields of UX, IxD, and HCI, understanding issues in experiment design and analysis. You will analyze multiple data sets using recipes given to you in the R statistical programming language -- no prior programming experience is assumed or required, but you will be required to read, understand, and modify code snippets provided to you. By the end of the course, you will be able to knowledgeably design, run, and analyze your own experiments that give statistical weight to your designs....

PP
Nov 17, 2020

One of the best courses I have taken in relation to UX. Very good design, engaging lectures and examples, and well designed exams. I learned alot and enjoyed listening to Dr. Webbrock. Kudos to him.

MS
Nov 28, 2020

Great course.\n\nHighly recommended. It was very clear and I'm very thakful because there were many subjects I only understood partially before this course but are now very clear to me.

101 - 125 of 197 Reviews for Designing, Running, and Analyzing Experiments

By Natalie A

Apr 30, 2016

I found this course hard, but very rewarding. R is a tool which I see more and more frequently on job postings so I'm grateful for having had an introduction into the syntax and the tool. My only issue with the course was that, as this wasn't a programming course and was just an introduction into the tool, I had no way of troubleshooting problems when I had error messages or my answers were incorrect. I struggled to know how to fix my test answers when they were wrong and had to re-do most of the analyses until I got different answers.

That being said, the course materials were excellent and have provided a brilliant grounding into the tool which I'm sure to use into the future.

By Winnie C

Aug 29, 2019

I do see and understand other students frustrations sometimes when the code isn't working. R is not really a beginner friendly coding environment but I think all the parametric and non-parametric testing methods I learned in this course were overall valuable. This is also a difficult topic to teach within the amount of time given. I think Jacob did a good job. Sometimes, I think the difficulty comes from the quizzes, and if the video lecture can have more examples to walk me through, it would been a better experience.

By Angeline P

Apr 26, 2016

This is a really well-run course. The lecturer explains complex topics in a very simple way and is obviously very passionate about his subject. He is also far more engaged in discussions than any other lecturer. Unfortunately tis a total mismatch in the Interaction Design specialisation. We need to know what results mean and how to use them, we don't need to be able to calculate them to this level of detail ourselves. This should be pitched at a much much higher level for it to be a useful part of the specialisation.

By Daniela Z L

Dec 20, 2020

I liked very much the design part of the course. I did not like that much the part of the analysis of experiments. I come from a statistical background and I used to do regression models many years ago but with different software. While it was a refresher, I did not like how specific to R this was. There was no explanation of the R functions. It was more of a mechanical thing about following a recipe, than understanding the functions and their parameters.

By Renee

Apr 12, 2018

R is the hardest course for me for the whole Interaction Design Course so I went back to learn statistics from 0 at Khan Academy and came back to code R. I feel so accomplished when I passed all the tests! I think the course is well-explained but would like it better if it can offer some recommendations at the beginning of the course about 'must-know knowledge' (i.e. basics of statistics) for students coming from art background.

By Michael K

Apr 17, 2017

I think this course missed an opportunity to teach ways to run real life experiments in abstract of R-Studio. Instead, this was an R-Studio course in running experiments in abstract of what or why you would want to even approach these types of experiments. It didn't fit the specialization IMHO, but I did find it valuable as someone who is re-approaching and deepening my existing skillset.

By Shirley W

Sep 8, 2020

Indeed a tough bite!

It's a big leap into the wild sea of experiment design and analysis especially I don't have many memories of statistical analysis in university.

But the instructor has made it friendly for me to onboard and tackle the problems.

This is just a start. I think for an Interaction designer to understand the language that analyst speaks, we still got a long way to go.

By V.G.A. v d M (

Sep 8, 2016

Great course! It was difficult, but mostly due to my lack of basic knowledge about statistics. A primer lesson would have been great. But with some research on some topics on my own I could complete the course with a sufficient understanding of the concepts.

I found the lectures and assignments to be very clear and concise. Props for the professor ;)

By Luis A G

May 18, 2017

The video lectures and the r code supplied are of excellent quality, and the concepts were explained in a very simple and concise way. Despite this, the Professors' participation in the Discussion Forums was nonexistent, which in some cases was very necessary since some of the quizzes required some explanation.

By Cirus I

Apr 1, 2019

A good course providing the fundamentals for doing tests of proportions and analysis of variance. The former is well covered; the latter, being a bigger subject, in a bit less detailed manner as complexity increases. The accompanying R code provides a good basis with which to further investigate.

By Jess C

Apr 29, 2017

Tough course to get through and very different to the others in the specialisation but knowing about statistics has given me a different view of the world and I have really gained something from doing it. I can hold reasonable conversations with data analysts and the like now.

By bedo

Aug 23, 2017

Great course. The title is speaking and I found what I was looking for.

Great balance between theory (not much) and application (a bit more).

I used different statistical tools in different situation,

everything in R (you mast have a bit of knowledge of it).

Recommended.

By Holly D

May 1, 2016

This course was put together with lots of thought and care, and I appreciated the thoroughness of the files and assignments. The content was quite dry, and I'm not totally confident in my abilities to execute the tests in real life.

By Denys K

Mar 29, 2017

Some times i felt lack of explanation. Because there is a lot of math. And quizzes are too big (10 + 32 questions on Week 7). But overall i would say that this course is the only one to which i will definetly come back

By Alice

Dec 27, 2019

It's a hard course. It's better to have some statistic knowledge. I got a big picture of various methods after finishing this course and I think I need to search for more material to better understand them.

By Ram

Feb 27, 2019

Without any background in R programming and experiment design, I am able to learn a lot of useful stuff in this course. I wish the last three lessons and quizzes are a little more beginner friendly.

By Lucille

Jul 2, 2020

This course covers a very wide range of statistical methods but it could use more references to explain in more detail the different tests used. Overall this is a good overview.

By Aswin J E

Sep 9, 2020

While the course if useful as an introduction to spectrum of tests used in experiment design, heavy external reading is required to truly understand the concepts in depth

By Louis S

Nov 8, 2017

Great module but it was very difficult for me as I am a 'non-coder' and R Studio was at times very buggy, so my suggestion is to structure the course differently.

By Yao W

Jul 23, 2017

Students need to acquire additional knowledge to really understand the content.

The courses tend to deliver arcane content in a very sketchy way.

By Javier I R

Oct 20, 2020

Great course. There is some mistakes in some of the quiz. Nevertheless, the professor gives swift feedback to the questions send.

By kumku q

Oct 26, 2017

I have noticed some of the tests require knowledge that is gained in the next week. I would suggest fixing that.

By Andrea L

Jun 17, 2016

The instructor for this course was great. He was very responsive to students' questions concerns.

By Ken O

Oct 17, 2016

Designing experiments wasn't what I thought, and had a very steep learning curve.

By riley i

Mar 14, 2016

Thank you for designing a course that demonstrates that UX is not just painting!