Back to Disaster Preparedness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Disaster Preparedness by University of Pittsburgh

Have you ever viewed a news report depicting the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster? The damage to human life and property are both staggering and heartbreaking. All parts of the world face the possibility of floods, hurricanes, tornados, fires, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural phenomena. Are you prepared if disaster would strike you? This course will help you prepare! The course is appropriate for any learner who is proactive about developing the core competencies of disaster readiness and survival planning. It is especially useful if you are seeking techniques that can ensure your personal protection, as well as the safety of your family, property, and belongings, during a natural disaster. In addition, it offers essential preparation for a variety of emergency situations and inconveniences, even if you do not live in major tornado, flood, hurricane, tsunami, or earthquake zone. For instance, could you and your loved ones manage without access to potable water, electricity, fuel, and banking facilities? If you are unsure of your ability to respond in any of these possible scenarios, this course is for you! Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the Disaster Cycle, specifically the Mitigation and Recovery phases, and will create an extensive personal preparedness plan for survival in the absence of common amenities, such as food and water, shelter, and communication. You will also acquire practical, easy-to-apply strategies for maintaining a healthy attitude during disaster which can allow you to remain calm, avoid panic, and draw upon inner and outer resources in dire circumstances. Although death may be an inevitable outcome of extreme circumstances, a balanced outlook can provide comfort for all parties involved. Finally, issues of how institutions and governments can aid in disaster are also discussed. If you are interested in this topic you may be interested in other online programs at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing. Learn more about those programs by visiting our website: http://www.online.pitt.edu/programs/school-of-nursing/...

CH

Jan 31, 2017

Really great course that's paced well. I believe this is a course everyone should and CAN take! These things are important to know especially if you live in an area where disasters are prone.

EB

Oct 05, 2015

Excellent course, logically put together and well presented. It raises multiple issues, some of which we were aware of but had not addressed and others which we had not even considered.

1 - 25 of 126 Reviews for Disaster Preparedness

By Michael C

Dec 31, 2019

This is a pretty good course, and one which I do recommend. I certainly learn a lot of information from it. The only thing that kept me from giving this course 5 Stars is that it contains a peer reviewed assignment in week four, but the peer reviews never seem to get done. The discussion board for week four is nothing more than students begging for someone to peer review their assignment so they can complete the course. This is not the type of course where a peer reviewed assignment works well.

This one criticism aside, the course is very well presented. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable, and you will be better prepared for a disaster after completing "Disaster Preparedness".

By Neal B T

Jan 15, 2020

Course content was well organized, intentional and practical. I decided on this course because I wanted to additional knowledge on the factors and dynamics of disaster management and preparation, as I look to volunteer with one of the local disaster relief networks in m6 local area. On the other hand, if you’d like to increase your awareness about disaster management on a personal level to keep you and your loved ones safe, this is a great course for that as well, strongly encourage it!

By Jeffrey P S

Sep 04, 2019

The online course Disaster Preparedness is a very excellent course . The learning content is very interesting and it was presented by a learning facilitator who is an expert in his field . We are currently experiencing the impact of climate change and the Disaster plan taken at the end of the course is no less than very useful and applicable as a an adaptive measure to protect lives and minimize damage in the event of a disaster. Thank you so much !

By Emilio C

Mar 03, 2019

Practical, targeted course, quite based on US vision, but applicable in many other contexts. Some of the links to external material do not work any longer, it would be great if they could be reviewed. In any case, thank you very much for having compiled this useful knowledge!

By Dr N N

Jul 23, 2019

Definitely, it is a great guide line for 'disaster preparedness'. Course is well planned, very informative and interesting too.

Yet, there is scope to improve the course by providing more specific knowledge related to specific disaster.

Thank you.

By Emma B

Oct 05, 2015

By Christian O P Y

Mar 13, 2020

The best course with hands-on skills ready for use and application in a disaster situation. Very interactive with key stakeholders representatives sharing their experiences.

By Andrea C

Oct 31, 2019

Well organized and very well presented. This course takes the learner from the fundamentals of preparedness, to designing personal preparedness plans. Very worthwhile.

By Noel C

Apr 01, 2020

Great course, really enjoyed it. Lots to learn. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to be prepared.

By MOHAMED M K

Apr 06, 2020

As a registered Occupational Therapist from Malaysia, I am very satisfied with the content of this Disaster Preparedness online course offered by the University of Pittsburgh. The contents of the course have helped me understand the emergency response and disaster preparedness process. With current Covid 19 pandemic that happens all round the world including Malaysia, it gives me some ideas how to prepare myself and my family to face effects of disaster in terms of mitigation plan, response and soon recovery plan. I have also learnt that we have to be prepared anytime not only physically but also mentally, with application of positive attitudes and mindset. I am looking forward to further my understanding in psychological first aid that will benefit my clients and their family after disaster.

By Yogesh G

Aug 31, 2017

This course is super useful. Many don't get the point of being prepared, others take it to extreme, often useless levels of preparation bordering debilitating paranoia. This course is grounded in reality and gives very useful, actionable tips to being prepared. Prof. Michael Beach is very effective and encouraging. Will recommend.

By BERTHIA N

Jul 19, 2019

I enjoyed the content of this course. I will recommend it to my friends and neighbours to force/ guide them to prepare their own plans. Many people I know are still 'winging' it, which is not safe. Thank you University of Pittsburgh for making this course possible.

By Justin D

Dec 03, 2015

The course was very interesting an informative. I feel much more prepared for if an unfortunate scenario is to present itself to me and the family. I'm very glad for this opportunity I received and the knowledge I now possess. Thanks.

-Justin Dougherty Winter Park, FL

By Leagaioalii M

Jan 31, 2017

Dr. Beach was engaged with students on video. I really enjoyed the interaction with other students globally on the 'Open Forum' portion. MOOCs gave me the opportunity to learn on my time frame. I highly recommend purchasing your certification, you've earned it!

By Muhammad A

Mar 24, 2020

I have learned many things relating to how we need to be prepared when it comes to an emergency situations whether it could be natural or man made disaster. Disaster Preparedness by the University of Pittsburgh is a great platform to learn.

By Krista H

Mar 07, 2020

Very well written and lead by the professor. Expanded my knowledge and built on what I already knew from previous similar courses. Would definitely recommend for someone who is either just starting or wants to increase their understanding

By Theresa W

Oct 11, 2017

Very timely. I am grateful for the opportunity to get some good information on preparedness with out the hype of the WTSHTF ideology. Preparedness should be a common goal for any emergency, or at least the most predictable ones.

By Almaz K

Feb 29, 2016

The course helped me a lot to gain fundamental understanding of emergency preparedness plan, right attitude and awareness of how to act in a disaster. I would recommend this course!

Regards,

Almaz Kassymkulov

Astana, Kazakhstan

By Natalie D

Mar 12, 2020

Learnt so much, also realised that we are fortunate in Cape Town that we are not faced with so many disasters. All the best to you all who experience various disasters and are always prepared for it. God bless

By RITESH G

Oct 11, 2017

Excellent Course. The case studies from Japan are really informative and give a good insight into the Disaster Management System. The modules on Personal Preparedness are a must for everyone in today's time.

By Christina H

By Alfredo P

Dec 20, 2016

Very good course that gives you the basic information about preparedness.

It would be very interesting to know how to take a practical course in disaster preparedness and survival techniques

By Alan C R

Dec 06, 2019

Exceptional class, very organized by the Professor and beneficial to those of us in the healthcare space AND for anyone interested in being prepared for local or regional disasters.

By Jim C

Sep 04, 2015

Very insightful course. The peer-reviewed plan was also incredibly useful, both in the exercise itself and seeing the risks (and mitigation plans) by others. Outstanding!

By Pamela W

Aug 14, 2015

I loved this course and all the interesting speakers. I learned a great deal and how much I am unprepared for a disaster, I had no idea. Well worth every minute.