Back to Disaster Preparedness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Disaster Preparedness by University of Pittsburgh

Have you ever viewed a news report depicting the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster? The damage to human life and property are both staggering and heartbreaking. All parts of the world face the possibility of floods, hurricanes, tornados, fires, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural phenomena. Are you prepared if disaster would strike you? This course will help you prepare! The course is appropriate for any learner who is proactive about developing the core competencies of disaster readiness and survival planning. It is especially useful if you are seeking techniques that can ensure your personal protection, as well as the safety of your family, property, and belongings, during a natural disaster. In addition, it offers essential preparation for a variety of emergency situations and inconveniences, even if you do not live in major tornado, flood, hurricane, tsunami, or earthquake zone. For instance, could you and your loved ones manage without access to potable water, electricity, fuel, and banking facilities? If you are unsure of your ability to respond in any of these possible scenarios, this course is for you! Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the Disaster Cycle, specifically the Mitigation and Recovery phases, and will create an extensive personal preparedness plan for survival in the absence of common amenities, such as food and water, shelter, and communication. You will also acquire practical, easy-to-apply strategies for maintaining a healthy attitude during disaster which can allow you to remain calm, avoid panic, and draw upon inner and outer resources in dire circumstances. Although death may be an inevitable outcome of extreme circumstances, a balanced outlook can provide comfort for all parties involved. Finally, issues of how institutions and governments can aid in disaster are also discussed. If you are interested in this topic you may be interested in other online programs at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing. Learn more about those programs by visiting our website: http://www.online.pitt.edu/programs/school-of-nursing/...

CH

Jan 31, 2017

Really great course that's paced well. I believe this is a course everyone should and CAN take! These things are important to know especially if you live in an area where disasters are prone.

EB

Oct 05, 2015

Excellent course, logically put together and well presented. It raises multiple issues, some of which we were aware of but had not addressed and others which we had not even considered.

26 - 50 of 125 Reviews for Disaster Preparedness

By Rajeev C

Feb 02, 2016

Superb course material and presentation by Prof Michael is simply awesome. Thank you so much for providing me an opportunity to learn through this awesome platform.

By Ichsan N

Nov 21, 2019

By taking this course, I can share my knowledge with the emergency response community and all parents at my child's school about how we should respond to disasters

By ASHUTOSH T

Mar 17, 2018

A course offering multiple insights in to family Disaster Preparedness.This course will be extremely helpful in surviving any Disaster situation successfully.

By Lita L

Oct 23, 2017

Great course. Everyone should be required to take this. There are disasters just waiting to happen in all parts of the country and the world. Be Prepared!

By Miguel J R D

Jul 10, 2017

Gracias por ofrecerme la oportunidad de aprender junto con Mike a través de la plataforma de Coursera. Espero poder seguir avanzando con vosotros.

By Perumalu K

Nov 17, 2017

Great course thanks to the teachers and coursera for creating this wonderful opportunities to learn l will definitely recommend to my friends.

By PANKAJ P

Mar 25, 2020

Extremwly useful. Many a things which I was completely unaware were explained so easily. Thanks to Mr. Beach and His colleagues..

By Stacy M

May 19, 2016

Very informative, thorough, and interesting! Instructor very knowledgeable and communicable along with excellent guest speakers!

By Garry K

Feb 09, 2017

Learned a lot more than I expected and finally got motiveted to formalize and finish our emergency plans and supplies.

By Kamal S

Apr 05, 2019

i learn a lot of things from this course this course will definetly help me in my future for better opportunity

By Myra Y A

Mar 02, 2020

The course is very helpful to me not only because of my line of work but also personally in the real world.

By Stefano M

Jul 15, 2016

lessons are very clear and rich of links to external material, and instructor is communicating effectively

By Keith K

Mar 08, 2020

Excellent course, teaches disaster preparedness , after disaster response / survival, and recovery.

By My I

Sep 10, 2015

I'm really enjoying this class on Disaster Preparedness with Mike Beach. Mike is a great instructor!

By JULIA

Feb 20, 2016

This class is amazing, informative and full of useful information. Highly recommend this class.

By Syed N A

Mar 23, 2017

Great course, really useful for people who want to pursue a carrier in disaster management.

By Madina K

Dec 19, 2016

I really liked it. Thank you teacher. It was very interesting to listen to and make a plan.

By Dr A A

Nov 22, 2016

Well described course and it helps me to improve my understanding on disaster preparedness.

By Sean b

Aug 27, 2015

I wish there were more majors at the university level with this specific topic of study.

By Dr. O A C

May 26, 2019

It was a great exposition on preparation for Disaster. it is recommended for everyone.

By Ravindra B

Jan 16, 2017

Very interesting and informative, the information provided will be put to good use.

By Timothy L

Jan 26, 2016

Good basic course for understanding of disaster preparedness at a high level.

By John C J

Sep 24, 2015

Awesome course that presents a fresh, sane approach to being prepared.

By Francisco P

Feb 25, 2016

Thanks for thie great course I am enjoy it so much

All the Best

By Brandon S

Apr 02, 2020

Amazing course with great and valuable insight and information!