Back to Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation by American Museum of Natural History

This course is an introduction to ecology and ecosystem dynamics using a systems thinking lens. Through a case study on Mozambique's Gorongosa National Park, learners will explore how scientists study ecosystems, and investigate the complex array of factors that inform management efforts. At the end of the course, learners will be able to grapple with real-world conservation questions, such as whether an ecosystem can recover from anthropogenic disruption and what role humans can, and should, play in that recovery....

AJ
Jun 1, 2019

This was particularly in-depth on the sciences of ecology, and having it based around a particular conservation project made it easier to follow each progressive lecture and concept that was explored.

YH
Jan 3, 2021

One of the best course, I have ever taken. The materials is not hard to follow and the in-depth explanation gives you a proper new perspective which is still open to debate due to conservation topic

26 - 50 of 731 Reviews for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

By Azajul I N

Apr 4, 2020

Wow. Just awesome. This course is fantastic. In a word, I will tell that the content of this course was beyond my expectations. Keep it up.

By Move P

May 31, 2021

“To tackle a very big problem, like climate change, we need to understand things systematically and fundamentally.” It just came into my mind after thinking about this huge problem. Today I’ve collected a dot as to ecology and learnt how it connects to other areas. My first expectation of learning ecology was that I wanted to understand the climate change problem through the lens of ecologists. I hoped to get into the roots of environmental issues and to acquire new knowledge that helps me pave the way for my dissertation in computer engineering. You know what? I think I got much more than I expected. Despite the very well constructed content, I got inspiration from the course instructors, especially Dr Corina Tarnita from Princeton University, who uses mathematical modeling to explain natural phenomena, such as population growth and patterns of trees growing in the forest. It’s fantastic to see the role of interdisciplinary and of course mathematics everywhere. This course, Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation, gave me a whole picture of the ecosystem in multiple perspectives, including biology, economy, and society. I learnt how to think systematically not only about the tip of the iceberg. I really enjoyed the course and learnt a lot! However, there are many steps to go and to learn. Thank you Coursera, American Museum of Natural History, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute for providing such a great MOOC for everyone

By Yogi H C

Jan 4, 2021

By Trisha G

Best course I have found in Coursera that is very intresting in learning and easily understand able. Enjoyed the course

By Linda A

Apr 15, 2020

A wonderful course driven by excelent ecologist, makes you to re-think everything you know about our world

By THARUN S

Apr 17, 2020

THE COURSE WAS WONDERFULL, IT WAS USEFUL

By Stefanie M

Jun 20, 2020

Very interesting course, if it was just for the content, I'd give it 5 stars, however the estimated time needed to complete reading the essays (and therefore the course) was in my opinion way too low. they estimated 10 minutes for each essays even though some were longer than others and it usally took me at least the double amount of time to complete the essays. However, I do not think that the essays were too long, just that they should adjust the estimated time so that users can prepare and organize themselves better :)

By Vignesh D

Apr 13, 2020

It was quite helpful. Understanding our ecosystem. Great course to learn about ecosystem

By Alexandra B

Jul 15, 2020

There is a lot of really great information, but far too much is reading rather than lecture related. I would much rather see heavy lecture domination provided by professors and field experts on Coursera than reading domination which is acquired by a Google search.

By Kamrul H S

May 8, 2020

Moderate. I t would be better if the each video includes 3-5 minutes with pdf lecture sheet. More modelling approach i.e. GPS, GIS & their use should be included.

By Jithin J

May 9, 2020

A well structured introductory course to ecology and concepts of conservation.

By Syed A I

Apr 26, 2019

Thank you very much for teaching this course.

By Ehsan S

The course content is very valuable and you will definitely receive lots of useful information on the ecosystem and of course learn a lot! However, the course materials are poorly organized for online learning purposes. At first, there are lots of reading materials (instead of the lecture) which are very similar to textbooks. These reading materials have a poor connection to the series of lectures which are interesting but they were not recorded for online learning purposes. The lectures are videos from a summer school.

By Michelle V

Jul 19, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this high-quality course! Week by week, I gained a greater appreciation of the importance of ecology and conservation – not only for targeted individual species but for the interactive balance of whole ecosystems. I learned not only what was being studied within the vast field of ecology but also how it was being studied, including field experiments and mathematical modelling. It was exciting to be taken along for the ride and see the research unfold with new data. The relations between termite behaviour, mathematical patterns in landscapes and their effects on the rest of the ecosystem are mind-blowing.

Be aware that the readings take quite a bit longer than 10 minutes, and there is occasionally some overlap between an article and a video. I was slightly disappointed that my good questions (in my opinion) on the discussion forum barely got answers, but perhaps they are yet to come. I do highly recommend checking out the further resources provided.

By My-Linh N

Jul 29, 2021

The material in this course from Dr Pringle and Dr Tarnita was very engaging and informative. I liked that they explained their methods and worked through their hypotheses using data, analysis and experiment to show that what seems like a messy and complicated system can be understood systematically. My only disappointment with the course was to hear how destructive modern crop production, deforestation and fossil fuel burning to our planet is while hearing no mention of the impacts of intensive animal agriculture on our ecosystems. The impacts of intensive animal agriculture on our greenhouse gas emissions, environmental pollution, deforestation and land and water use are significant and this course feels incomplete without a mention to it. This course that will likely be taken by many students who are passionate about the environment and so it would be a great opportunity to encourage individual action such as the adoption of a more plant-based lifestyle.

By Rahul S

Jul 27, 2020

Marvelous, Fantastic, and Amazing experience of being a part of this online course. As I am already post- graduate in Masters of Science in Biodiversity and Conservation from India. So I was aware of the basics of this course but the learning part was of implementation of those concepts in the actual world. Yes, We as a Biodiversity Conservationist should always think for sustainable approaches and affect less to nature.

Now about the content of this online course was really insightful and also the upgraded research studies I got to know here. All respected scientists, lecturers, professors, field workers as well conservationists were amazing, humble, kind, very nice in delivering and explaining the content. I really enjoyed taking this course.

Keep on organizing such great free online courses and aware more about such concepts to conserve world biodiversity. Thank you all.

By Skyler S

Jun 4, 2020

I absolutely loved taking this course! I've always loved biology and learning about the environment, and this class really furthered my knowledge on different ecological processes and conservation. I have a much better understanding of how different species play such a crucial role in their ecosystem as well as how biotic and abiotic factors influence the environment. Learning about how humans play a role in the ecosystem has made me more aware of the ways in which we can preserve the planet and restore the biodiversity of global ecosystems. I highly recommend this class to anyone interested in the environment, conservation and repopulation of different species, and how ecologists are taking a biocultural stance when deciding how to preserve ecosystems around the world.

By T.J. E

Wow, this is an amazing course, well organized, starting big and broad and zooming in progressively from there to build a very comprehensive introduction to ecology. Ultimately, this course is about more than just about "plants and animals," though: It's about a whole way of making sense of the world using systems thinking. I came away from it seeing the world around me differently, from the current COVID crisis, to the world economy, to climate and weather. Systems thinking is one of the great evolutions in our modern worldview, and I feel I have got a basic introduction to it here. Also, the readings were very thoughtful and helpful, the videos were slick and entertaining, and the instructors were experts. A+

By Sameen J

Sep 17, 2021

This is an unique introduction to ecology and conservation. It goes beyond just basics of ecology and focuses on how ecology is practiced in conservation. Centering the course around a specific example like Gorongosa was an excellent idea, it really helped highlight how ecology can be applied in conservation. The readings and lectures were very interesting and thought-provoking. I have taken a beginner ecology course before, so some of the concepts were familiar to me and I did not have any difficulty following the course - however maybe a proper beginner may face difficulties with some of the topics. Still overall it is an enjoyable course that takes a refreshing and fascinating approach to teaching ecology.

By Cesar M

Aug 6, 2020

This is the first course that I complete. Every reading and video is interesting and motivates for further learning. I am very happy that we have access to this quality content and knowledge for free. The case study shows how the systemic approaches of Ecology can be put into practice for solving some of the greatest challenges that we as humanity have. There are many philosophical and ethical questions involved and the discussions on different approaches and points of view are of great value. I recommend this course to anyone passionate and interested in understanding better how nature works and how important it is for us to support our decisions on scientific knowledge. Thank you!

By Somunint O

This course went beyond my expectations. It was a great introduction and guide to ecology, and managed to keep my curiosity for the subject going throughout the weeks. I especially love how the instructor based the course on a single conservation project in Mozambique, making it easier for the learners to follow what's being discussed. This course broadened my knowledge and passion for the field of wildlife conservation, and I am thankful to the instructors for putting all their time and effort into making this a wonderful experience for me, and for others! I am a high school student chasing his dreams, and I think taking this course motivated me to continue my desire to learn.

By Pham T K

Apr 18, 2020

Even though I haven't finished this course at the time I write this review but I simply can't wait :) This a great course for those are interested in learning about conservation and ecosystem. It explains the importance of conversation very well, especially in this age of global climate change, as well as some research areas such as ecosystem services and resilience. I would highly recommend this course for high school students who wanna discovery about this particular field, as well as environmental undergraduate/master students (any who related to environmental studies) for a better understanding about the ecological protection and conservation.

By Ajit K

Jul 26, 2020

Hello friends !!

I am Ajit from India. Being biotechnologist and fascinated by conservation work, I really wanted to explore my knowledge about ecology and conservation. I am happy with this course and this course completed all my expectations. I really recommend this course to those who are working in the fields of conservation, ecology and wildlife. The course materials include contemporary ecological studies, and research data that really help understanding the current scenario and related concepts. Thank you Coursera for arranging such a great course along with American Museum of Natural History and Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

By Lawrence

Jul 29, 2021

Very enjoyable course - the lectures were informative and delivered with clarity, and Gorongosa was a very engaging case study. I was surprised that there were several references to the Hudson River mussels which I don't recall being covered in any detail, but other than that, the readings were very helpful in providing the background knowledge necessary to follow the lectures. I particularly enjoyed the mathematical modelling and would have loved understanding an approach which might be used to model zebra populations (i.e. very low populations where stochastic effects might dominate and the logistic growth curve does not hold).

By Nazerke B

Jan 22, 2020

I would like to thank all the researchers who participated in making this wonderful course! Started in a simple way, the classes then gradually presented more complex and in-sight issues and gave detailed explanation to ecological definitions in a most comprehensive manner. Given examples helped complete the understanding of different ecological situations. I enjoyed the documentaries and lectures of all researchers. Now I wish to one day visit Gorongosa National Park, as well as meet all these researchers who work so hard to conserve the nature of our home, Earth! Thank you again! Best wishes!