Back to Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation by American Museum of Natural History

This course is an introduction to ecology and ecosystem dynamics using a systems thinking lens. Through a case study on Mozambique's Gorongosa National Park, learners will explore how scientists study ecosystems, and investigate the complex array of factors that inform management efforts. At the end of the course, learners will be able to grapple with real-world conservation questions, such as whether an ecosystem can recover from anthropogenic disruption and what role humans can, and should, play in that recovery....

AJ
Jun 1, 2019

This was particularly in-depth on the sciences of ecology, and having it based around a particular conservation project made it easier to follow each progressive lecture and concept that was explored.

YH
Jan 3, 2021

One of the best course, I have ever taken. The materials is not hard to follow and the in-depth explanation gives you a proper new perspective which is still open to debate due to conservation topic

76 - 100 of 734 Reviews for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

By KALYANI L

Ecology can no longer be termed as field of study for environmentalists and nature enthusiasts. As termed in the course, we are in the era called Anthropocene and we are the major players of the entire world. This also comes with the novel and pristine responsibility. We humans have to protect what is ours- the amazing biodiversity of the planet Earth.

By Ella M

Apr 20, 2020

I am a Scottish high school student currently studying biology and I wanted to learn more about ecology and conservation practices. I completed this course whilst at home because of the current covid-19 situation and it has kept me occupied and interested and left with the desire to learn more about ecology and human impacts on biodiversity, thank you!

By Nikhil D

Nov 13, 2020

Great overview of ecosystems, with captivating examples and fascinating lectures to keep the learner's attention. Not too technical in nature and broad enough to engage anyone, while it is contextualized for today's current challenges faced. The only assignments are multiple choice tests that are simple enough with a review of material. Great course!

By Theresa W

Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot! As a current college student studying biology, I found this course very valuable for looking at ecology from a broader perspective and especially appreciated the numerous examples included. It would be hard to come away from this course without looking at at least some aspects of ecology in a new light.

By Dean B

Mar 14, 2019

Excellent content, examples, and lecturers. Thought the breadth and depth of the material was perfect. Extremely effective use of Gorongosa National Park throughout course. Enjoyed the scenes shot in the park. Appreciated the inclusion of a little math/modeling. Very satisfied with this course, enjoyed it, and feel much more knowledgeable.

By Taylor H

Jun 28, 2020

This course was extremely interesting and useful! I am a second-year veterinary student who hopes to practice conservation medicine once I graduate. I wanted to take a supplemental course that taught me about conservation and ecology. This course was perfect for that and was packed with useful information. I highly suggest taking this course.

By Eva B

Jan 20, 2021

I enrolled in this course to get a better understanding of ecology and the way conservation is carried out and ended up learning so much more than I could have hoped to! This course has taught me so much and was a brilliant thing to do in my spare time. The deadlines are flexible, and it was easy to understand. I would highly recommend it!

By Bhavya D

Sep 21, 2020

THIS WAS MY FIRST EXPERIENCE LEARNING ONLINE AND I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED IT. ECOLOGY: ECOSYSTEM DYNAMICS AND CONSERVATION IS ONE OF THE BEST TOPIC TO LEARN. THE COURSE IS QUITE VERY INTERESTING FOR NEW LEARNERS OF LIFE SCIENCE. I AM GLAD THAT I GOT ANY OPPORTUNITY TO BE A PART OF IT AND EXPLORE MORE.

By Vaishnavi A

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent course. I had read a lot about ecology and conservation through other mediums, but this course was essentially different for me as I was able to actually see and understand the problems that scientists face and how solutions are worked out ( the mathematical models) through the Gorongosa National Park example. Loved it.

By Sabrina

Apr 16, 2020

Found this course provided a great introduction to what the study of Ecology is and the different topics you would learn about in pursuing this field of education. Would recommend that explanations be provided for each of the exam questions in order to further understand why an answer is correct or wrong. Great course, thank you!

By SOUBHIK M

Jul 9, 2020

I have now a clear view to see a ecosystem, how it's work, it's function and effect in our life. The main theme of this course; how to say, an ecosystem is recovered? That is widely demonstrated through the entire course, i felt amaizing to get a chance to admit in the curriculum. Thank you for giving me a part in this project.

By Wendelien

Mar 8, 2021

I've done about 5 different types of online courses and this was my favourite. The content was interesting, often challenging, and diverse. Also, the distribution of text vs lectures worked very well. I also think that the fact that real lectures, instead of a film of one speaker, were mostly used helped to make it interesting.

By Vladislav Z

Oct 16, 2020

I enjoyed taking this MOOC, it contained a balanced mix of reading and video lectures, felt like it was the appropriate length while presenting a sufficient quantity of information, examples and thorough studies on Gorongosa National Park. Also, I felt that the information presented in this course is interesting and topical.

By Han H Z

May 15, 2020

A meaningful course that is simple to understand and emphasizes the importance of understanding how ecology works and, in a way, using nature itself to solve climate issues. The 'Systems thinking' concept is eye-opening for me and I see myself using it often now. Well done to every person involved in producing this course!

By Jingtian Z

Dec 26, 2020

I like this course, I know about Gonragosa and how life become rare there. I also know how to think systemly, this is the basic of understanding ecosystems. I now how hard we try to recover Gonragosa's ecosystem. Have we successfully recover the ecosystem to pre-war status by killing waterbuck and producing other animals.

By Jim M

Jan 22, 2022

This coarse provided the best overview of the subject of Ecology I have ever experienced. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a better understanding of ecology and ecosystems and why they are important. The bibliography in each section is comprehensive and points the way to further independent study opportunities.

By Khoa M

Aug 15, 2021

I love this course for how eye-opening it can be. The essay readings can be quite tedious, but there are also recorded lectures that I find very interesting. It'd be great if the answers to quiz can be shown to us after we finish them. Other than that, I've learned so much from this course, and I'm so grateful for that.

By Joanne N

Oct 3, 2021

I​ found this course to be extremely relevant and important. All of the presenters were very knowledgable, well-spoken, and adept at explaining the material so that it was easy to understand. The articles were thought-provoking, and the references listed reliable sources for additional information. Excellent course!

By Dr. R S V

Jun 8, 2020

I amaze with the way of delivery of scientific interpretations in very simpler way. I got new dimension to understand concept of ecology it’s dynamics. It will help me in practicing conservation philosophies with proper understanding. Thank u to all who put their efforts in providing it on Coursera learning platform

By ANGELO K S

Jul 15, 2020

This is by far the most comprehensive yet concise program I have encountered here in Coursera. I love the idea of having a real scenario of conservation efforts and studies (Gorongosa National Park) as an example for the program, that way we could apply the things we learned from the lecture directly to the field.

By Redvers F C

Jun 21, 2020

This course is the best course that I have ever studied. The lectures were fascinating, intriguing and the lecturers were all extremely informative, my interest in these subjects will undoubtedly grow because of their ability to hold my interest on these fascinating topics of great importance to our natural world.

By Davis R J

Mar 15, 2021

This course represents a generous repository of exciting and essential knowledge that is capable of taking someone from a position of having absolutely no appreciation of biodiversity to having a deep understanding of ecology and how humans and their every day lives impact nature -- as a critical part of nature.

By Sara F

Dec 20, 2020

Fantastic course! Such an incredible insight into conservation biology, and the various applications around the world. Learning using a case study takes the theory, and applies it into real-life example that you can connect with, improving the learning experience. Thank you for producing such a wonderful course!

By Luca O

Dec 13, 2020

Very informative, engaging, and excellently explained, by all teachers involved. Besides being a non trivial introduction to many key topics, the course also presents some key controversial issues with a genuinely scientific, ideology-free approach, and brings multiple points of view to the learner's attention.

By Santiago F

Jan 10, 2022

A​s a person with no background in Ecology, this course allowed me to understand basic concepts in the subject. But even more importantly, it showed me the ways in which humans should shape their efforts taking into account many more variables than are teken today in the decision process across all activities.