Back to Fundamentals of Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Finance by University of Pennsylvania

4.0

In this course, you’ll learn the basic fundamentals of corporate finance. Based on the pre-term qualifying courses for Wharton MBA students, Professor Jessica Wachter has designed this course for learners who need a refresher in financial concepts, or for those who are learning about corporate finance for the first time. You’ll identify foundational concepts in corporate finance, such as NPV, Compound and Simple Interest, and Annuities versus Perpetuities. You’ll also learn how to apply the NPV framework to calculating fixed-income valuation and Equity, using hypothetical examples of corporate projects. By the end of this course, you’ll have honed your skills in calculating risk and returns to optimize investments, and be able to assess the right set of financial information to achieve better returns for your firm....

DT
Jan 18, 2021

It was an Amazing journey learning with Coursera & University of Pennsylvania!! I went back to my school years and I remembered back my Algebra, thank you so much!!

NA
Feb 6, 2021

Quote comprehensive but the solution to quiz questions should be provided in order to know the correct way of solving and approaching the question

1 - 25 of 54 Reviews for Fundamentals of Finance

By Darshan T

I liked the 1st week of the video lectures. From week 2, things get confusing. I do not understand why the notes have different symbols for same variable..sometimes it's called face value (FV), other times just value (V), other times price (P). There are just too many terms defined which strip away the core of 'findamentals'. Define only what's necessary. Don't build me a clock, just tell the time. I think for general public who is not familiar with financial terms, this is not the course I would recommend for learning the fundamentals.

By JLMcCloskey

Aug 29, 2020

The instructor understands the subject well and knows what she's talking about. The notes and the downloads are great study aids. But the multiple tech issues taking the tests is an ongoing and still unresolved problem. Sometimes the data is accepted and credited, other times there is an issue with the data being received. Monitors for this course experience the same problems and have stated as much in the forums. In week three, discussions drop, questions remain unanswered. I tried to unenroll according to the instructions provided (https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/208279756-Unenroll-from-a-course) but there was no option to "leave course". So the tech issues surrounding this course make it not worth taking.

By Supanan P

Sep 7, 2020

The instructor is knowledgeable and is able to explain things well, especially in the first few topics. However, at times, the instructor seems to assume that learners have some familiarity with the terms introduced. The notes and supplementary materials are incredibly useful, but typos make them appear a lot less professional. The thing that the instructor can improve the most is the quizzes as some of the questions are too confusing. This is because the examples given throughout the module are very straightforward, meaning learners do not get the chance to familiarise themselves with the languages used in some of the quizzes.

By Cailean M

Nov 10, 2020

Terrible explanations literally worst course I've taken on here

By Michael A

Dec 22, 2020

There were several issues I had with this course. The videos were a bit challenging to get through. I found it difficult to follow the professor and the notes were the exact same so they were not helpful. I felt that the quizzes were not always accurate and there were not enough explanations when reviewing the lectures and readings. Overall for a foundations course, this was very difficult where it did not need to be.

By Kenneth

Dec 16, 2020

I don't think the course taught the content well, and rushed through things at times. They don't prepare you enough for the quiz and the quiz is riddled with mistakes, I suggest changing it to an MCQ instead. Thankfully their corporate finance course covers some of the topics

By Daniel O

Feb 3, 2021

I feel like the classes are 2 + 2 and the quizzes are differential equations... of double and triple integrals.

The fact of having to type the answers makes you not sure if it is wrong to round or not, or if the nomenclature was not what was desired for this particular answer, I'm sorry but I abandon this, the professor It is very well prepared, but this took me too much out of my boxes, I have like 4 hours trying different things to know if my answers are wrong for using a wrong formula or only the desired nomenclature was different.

In other courses such as python for everyone you can quickly contact a specialist to review what you are doing and support you, here there is no way to get support to know if you are doing something wrong, I cannot simply put the exam questions in the forum .

Finally, to be a fundamentals course, it is assumed that the student has too much previous knowledge, it should not be called fundamentals then nor have a classification for beginners that it is assumed that no previous experience or knowledge is required, for example there are things explained through limits , which I don't think everyone has knowledge of

By Anita K

Jan 11, 2021

It's not for beginners. Furthermore it is too difficult to keep up.

By steven w

Feb 1, 2021

Not as easy as stated.

By Carolyn P

Aug 31, 2020

The professor was extremely knowledgable and explained things quickly but well. The notes are very helpful. There are some bugs with the quiz's due to rounding errors that make them VERY frustrating to complete. Quiz 3 is a bear and there are still a couple questions no one can get. But other than that, great intro to finance that can be done in 2 weeks vs. 5 if needed.

By Dr. D H

Dec 3, 2020

It would be very helpful, not only to get 0 or 1 points in the quizzes. For some questions I could not figure out the correct answer. So I do not know how to improve.

By Ummehani M P

Oct 24, 2020

Whole course is good but in the quiz, there should be only 50% for passing as the quiz are very hard

By Aditya

Jan 8, 2021

Firstly thanks to Coursera for providing this high-quality course on fundamentals of finance. Secondly, I am left in Awe by the immense depth and command of Miss Jessica Wachter on the subject. Being from an engineering background, finance is something that I am completely alien to, but under her guidance, I was able to not only grasp the concepts but was able to apply them in the very challenging questions in the quiz. It's my dream to pursue an MBA in Finance from Wharton and study under her guidance in real life!

By Stefan A K D

Sep 9, 2020

Amazing content, they need to work on the answers decimal points because I had trouble with 2 exercises, one in which I had 0.20 and I should not round it I had to put 0.19 and another in which I had 0.49 and I did not round it but the "correct answer" was 0.5, so you should like correct this or at least as to round every exercise or none.

By Walt B

Nov 11, 2020

Good overview of financial concepts from a knowledgeable professor. The course would have been more helpful if the quizzes included explanations of answers: oftentimes I brute forced an answer without really understanding why it was I got to the correct result.

By Erik T

Nov 2, 2020

The professor is brilliant; however, the lectures don't prepare you enough for the quizzes. I love math and algebra, but the word problems were either confusing or vague. Definitely read the lecture notes to these modules.

By André V

Oct 25, 2020

it could have more details and examples

By Suli Z

Jan 22, 2021

I learned a lot of financial terms and concepts, such as NPV, annuity, YTM, HPR, ROE, and IRR. At the same time, I also learned how to compare and select two investment activities with different conditions. This course helped me a lot and expanded my knowledge.

By Sjouke R v d B

Feb 20, 2021

Excellent taught course with difficult quizzes, brought me a lot of extra knowledge and financial skills. You might need some extra books of material to finish the quizzes. I enjoyed this course very much.

By Maurice K O

Jul 4, 2020

great introductory course for finance. the course materials were also very helpful

By Jacob M

Feb 2, 2021

This is a great introduction to the fundamentals of finance course. Professor Wachter is very clear and concise in her lectures and examples. The provided lecture notes are a great supplement to the recorded lectures.

The only negative thing about this course is the quiz, specifically how it is graded. There were numerous problems in multiple quizes that marked the correct answer as being incorrect. Or the answers required too many decimal places of precision to be marked correct. Ex: inputing .12 instead of 0.1200 would be marked wrong. This is stupid and an unnecessary hassle. Perhaps this is an issue with Coursera itself and not the course itself, but either way it should be addressed.

By Ann K

Jan 30, 2021

There should have been many more examples and the quizzes after you submit them should should you the correct answer and how it was obtained.

By Tracey W

Feb 19, 2021

Definitely not a beginner course. This course lacks a thorough breakdown of financial concepts and a basic understanding of financial terms. The quizzes feel like you are not meant to successfully complete them. I felt like instead of fully understand the basic principles, I was rushing through just to pass it, which I couldn't. It is very frustrating and I wish the quizzes were a little more straightforward. I think anyone taking this course should take a true beginners course first, or have a secondary resource to help you along the way. I ordered an intro to finance book to help me understand the basics first to help me along the way. The lectures are a joke when it comes to the quizzes and the presentation is also very sloppy.

By James K

Mar 3, 2021

The course really gives me a clear insight on the basics on finance, It's really easy to understand and the lecturer do a great job in explaining the concept so it was easier to remember.

It explains clearly each of the financial terms and what it indicates, such as where NPV and IRR differs and where it's viable, Yield to maturity, etc. I would recommend this class to anyone new to finance!

By 谷金盈

Dec 27, 2020

The course format is good for finance beginners and the teaching is perfect.

the only problem is that I do not know when I should round up my answer in the test, that sometimes bothers me