Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

AA

Jul 07, 2019

A very useful course, specially designed for those who either forgot the grammar or did not study English grammar properly in the journey of learning English. It is a path way to good writing skills.

2401 - 2425 of 3,026 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

Oct 20, 2015

R

By Renato d S P

May 06, 2020

First of all, thank you very much for putting this course together. I have just finished it, and I decided to leave this assignment for last since I wanted to share some general comments.Overall, I have learned a few new details here and there, including certain new ways of explaining the use of some structures and punctuation rules. It was very good for me to review the notion of "sentence compound" and "verb compound".My general observations about this course are:(1) It offers a very basic notion of verb tenses without any in-depth analysis of certain special or more complex situations. I guess I was expecting the chance to explore some more details in this course.(2) There were different moments where I disagreed about the use of commas recommended by the instructor. My disagreement was based on the writing guidelines I have learned throughout my life while attending courses/workshops offered by professional editors and university professors as well as while studying different materials (grammar books and writing handbooks. (Please see a list with some titles below.)(2.1) One case refers to the use or not of commas with Relative Clauses. As you may be well aware, commas should only be used with nonrestrictive clauses whereas restrictive clauses are never separated by commas. However, some sentences shown in the video "More Uses of Commas" as well as in the quizzes failed to make such distinction.Two examples from the video:(A) "My roommate, who hates seafood, doesn't want me to cook shrimp." [In this example, the use of commas is correct if I assume that there is only one roommate in this situation, which is clearly identified. Therefore, the relative clause is nonrestrictive as it is just adding extra information about the roommate.](B) "The dress, which I bought for tonight, is too tight for me to wear."[Here we have a very general subject "the dress", and we need the relative clause to help us identify which dress the speaker is talking about. Therefore, the relative clause is clearly a restrictive clause and should not be separated by commas.](2.2) Another situation that I somewhat disagreed with was with the rule about adding a comma before "and" in a series of three or more things/people/phrases etc. This last comma (aka "series comma", "serial comma", or even "Oxford comma") is actually "debatable" among many different authors. In general, it is considered an optional case, not a mandatory one.(3) In the video about Present Perfect and Simple Past, we were shown a table divided into two columns/sides: on the left, there were words normally used with Present Perfect, and on the right, words that were used with only Simple Past.(3.1) Among the words normally used with Present Perfect, we had already, ever, yet, never.However, as we all know, we can perfectly use either Present Perfect or Simple Past for new or recent happenings, especially in North America and in informal situations.For example:- I've lost my keys. Have you seen them? OR I lost my keys. Did you see them?The same applies to the words previously mentioned in bold as well as always, just, before:- I have already called Martha. OR I already called Martha.- Have you contacted Martha yet? OR Did you contact Martha yet?- I've never spoken to him. OR I never spoke to him.- Have you ever seen anything like that before? OR DId you ever see anything like that before?There would be some other things to say, but I believe that is enough for now.Thank you very much for this course in any case. I am sure most of my peers are learning a lot from it. :)

By James H S J

Jun 08, 2017

This is a great introductory course for refreshing one's memory or learning basic grammar rules. Unfortunately, the 7-day free trial option does not allow the same level of access to the discussion board assignments as those students who pay for the course. Based on my experience, my classmates were unable to see the content that I posted; however, I was able to provide feedback and add private comments to their posts. Also, with the free version, some of the supplemental practice exercises did not open, but all of the lecture videos, quizzes, and course assignments functioned properly. If you are taking the course as a refresher, then you can make it through the class before the free trial period ends, just note that it does take some time to watch all of the videos and complete the assignments. If you don't want to rush, the course is inexpensive, and the content is worth it.

By christine j m

Feb 06, 2016

This course is really helpful especially for people wanting to write English articles better. The course outline is well laid out, videos are easy to understand, and exercises are very helpful for practicing your punctuation. The only negative point for me is how the teachers use a very strong American accent that some of the letters in a word are not pronounced anymore, like 'meanin' instead of 'meaning' and 'writin' instead of 'writing'. It doesn't really affect the teaching, though. All in all, this course helped me a lot and I recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their punctuation and review their English grammar knowledge.

By Vidhi P

Mar 08, 2016

Even though the course was pretty basic, there were many new things I learned, especially certain tips and tricks. The lessons are simple; the examples were good for understanding and to the point. The course-content, video and audio qualities are good. Links to extra materials are also provided towards the end of each week.

I felt the assignments were too simple. They were reviewed by other students and not by the course organisers. Though peer-review is a good practice, comments from the teachers would be much appreciated. I would prefer more options for discussion on a topic, other than through the assignments alone.

By Patricia C D M

Apr 10, 2018

I really liked this course. It helped me to understand about some grammar rules that I didn't understand before, and also made me learn new things. The methodology is so interisting, it made me search more and more information about the English grammar before I submit or analyse any classmate activities, because I wanted to make sure that I was doing it properly. To be honest, it is not 5 star, for me, because I believe that if it had a specialised tutor, I could feel more confident about my learning.

By Anjali R

May 12, 2020

This course is very good with helping the learner punctuate, use the correct tenses, and form sentences with appropriate sentence structure. I would suggest making the practice exercises available in Chrome, as well. I would also suggest external monitoring of the peer-graded assignments, because if everybody is a learner, it is not necessary that everybody will critique correctly. In addition, I think most people would do the assignments out of obligation, and not out of the need to learn and review.

By Suryakant S

Jan 19, 2016

This is should be your go to option if you are looking for brushing up / learning fundamentals of english grammar. The course material is simple , to the point and accessible to a all regardless of the level of your English fluency levels. However, this course lacks a an active discussion forum and the peer graded assignments are designed in such a way that often it is impossible to discuss doubts or explore further nuances . Other than that, the course meets all that it sets out to achieve.