Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

AA

Jul 07, 2019

A very useful course, specially designed for those who either forgot the grammar or did not study English grammar properly in the journey of learning English. It is a path way to good writing skills.

2501 - 2525 of 3,027 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Ena X

Nov 11, 2015

A very good review on punctuation and tense. However, I think the course is a little too simple. I hope that the class could cover more grammar topics in depth.

By Paul C

Mar 04, 2018

I enjoyed this course. In order to plan the next step, however, I would like to see a video explaining how all the courses in the Specialization fit together.

By Majesty W F

Jan 07, 2016

I have learned a lot with this course! It's like you are really attending a class, and socializing everyday with your classmates. I really had fun. Thank you!

By Thisumi W

It was useful to identify my mistakes when using grammar. And i love the way of exercises. But sometimes repeating the same thing. totally I love this course

By Ekaterina

May 22, 2017

It was a very useful class for me. A lot of topics, in which I was confused, were clarified during the course. However, not all punctuation rules were given.

By Virginie M

Apr 15, 2017

I am glad to have learn and understood better what was covered in this class. I think there would have been opportunity to explore grammar even more, deeper.

By MINQI C

Jul 14, 2019

I think for the homework part could be more challenge, and some of the exercise pages could not be opened. Overall, it is a great course, and I recommended.

By Estefania G M

May 22, 2020

I decided to enroll in this course, and it has been a great experience. Definitely, this course met my expectations, and set my knowledge to keep learning.

By Fairouz

Feb 06, 2016

Very simple and easy to follow instructions. The lessons, exercises, and peer reviews are all interesting. I learned so much from this module. Thank you!

By serge

Dec 07, 2015

It si a great course! The minor comment, combining the subject of variety of sentences with commas and parallel structures could be a bit overloading.

By Zachary S

Mar 27, 2018

Great course. I definitely learned a lot. If you have a good grasp on grammar, a lot of this should be review. Overall, a lot of useful information.

By Angela S V

Nov 01, 2015

The course has been very interesting and useful; however, I would have liked that my homeworks were reviewed by both the teacher and the colleagues.

By Kittipong T

Jul 02, 2019

This course is suitable for beginners. So if you want to start writing and do not have skills, Learning the grammar and punctuation is your answer.

By Jay K

May 25, 2018

It would be better if you leave more space for the student to communicate with each other, by that, we shall create more opportunities to practice.

By Khadija K

Oct 25, 2017

Great course for english learners who wanna develop their writing and, especially, for those who still have problem with tenses and punctuation use

By Leema R

Apr 24, 2018

The course time was entirely good, and i got the correct grammar once I finished the course. It had been always a pleasure with coursera.

By Iman A A

Dec 29, 2015

Good one , some parts was even useful for what I was seeking for - IELTS General Writing

Flash Practices and in-Video Questions was interesting too

By Lena C

Nov 29, 2015

Some types of assignments and quizes are not comfortable to use. But thas is just about technical issues.

Educational part of this course in great.

By Soha E

Nov 12, 2015

It's a short and concise course for all learners and teachers of the English language. I've recommended it to my fellow ESL instructors.

Thank you.

By Steven M

Oct 18, 2015

Excellent course! You can make it even better with concise handouts for every lesson which highlights all the main points for personal future use.

I really want to appreciate all the teachers and Coursera management for such a plate form to provide knowledge and enlightenment beyond borders.

By Elizabeth S

Jun 29, 2016

Very helpful course. I liked a lot. Although I would prefer for some quizzes not to be locked unless paid.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

E.

By Abigail S

Jan 02, 2019

Very helpful for anyone who hasn't done many grammar courses; However, if you are familiar with grammar rules, then this might be rather boring.

By Ankur S

Mar 13, 2018

Course , that i throughout enjoyed and learned a lot from it. Only thing, I missed was it do not cover all of the topics ,but only few of them.

By Lavinia F

Dec 01, 2015

It is a very complete overview. It is very helpful for reviewing English grammar and punctuation. The additional resources are also very good.