Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

AA

Jul 07, 2019

A very useful course, specially designed for those who either forgot the grammar or did not study English grammar properly in the journey of learning English. It is a path way to good writing skills.

2476 - 2500 of 3,023 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Yufan L

Jan 16, 2016

The terminology is likely to be difficult for ESLs, and the guidance is likely too easy for native speakers.

Spent most of the time on 2.0x speed and multitasking because it wasn't nuanced enough.

By Samagra a

Jun 29, 2019

this course really helped me increase my knowledge about writing grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs , if you are looking to increase your level of writing , this course is for you.

By Helena C D B

Feb 15, 2016

Very good, But I missed some more practical exercises on writing. For us, non-native english speakers sometimes it is very difficult to identify our mistakes. But the whole module is very good.

By Altaf H N

May 12, 2020

As beginner in research area this is first milestone in academic writing, I have read and done lots of online courses. This provide better understanding with proper style and learning method.

By ABDULLAH A N

Apr 07, 2020

It is really exciting course though I failed two times to complete it. I think the instructor voice should br mo cleared.This is informative but need more clear the section. Thanks, Coursera.

By NGUYEN N T A

Mar 27, 2020

The course is so helpful which reminds me a lots of grammar and word uses. However, I find it inconvenient when I need to use Firefox in some lessons. Chrome will be preferred, in my opinion.

By GAURAV

Sep 24, 2016

Very Much Useful to Student Community, particularly when these are given in form of assignments to student groups. the videos are interesting at the same time it gives a joy of Fun Learning

By R. D H

Mar 20, 2020

Instructions and actions in some of the practices are neither intuitive nor are they clear. It appears that some are written with the assumption that a student has taken the class before.

By Paola S D

Mar 01, 2017

In my opinion, it was a good course because it was well structured, understandable and easy to follow. Even tough I found it useful, I would like to find more content on english grammar.

By BEGIN

Jan 18, 2016

I recommend this class to anyone willing to know how to punctuate and use correct tenses in English. The grammar rules are clearly explained and illustrated with many helpful examples.

By Ji K

May 18, 2016

The course is quite informative and useful. However, I think the charge of 60e is too high since the skills introduced are both elementary and limited. 10e would be a proper price.

By Girish K

Oct 02, 2015

The course was short and to the point which helped me understanding the use of punctuations specially Comma and semi colon and different types of sentence structures and variety.

By Akshat S

Mar 27, 2016

The course is apt for the people who are adept at speaking and amateur in writing. The course definitely improved the way I frame and put out my sentences for readers to read.

By Erin L

Feb 27, 2016

A simple introduction to grammar and punctuation that is well laid out and easy to understand. I explored this course as a refresher, and it served that purpose quite well!

By Yang Z

Nov 22, 2015

This course is very useful as It covers the essentials of English grammar. It's help me out of the explosion of grammar rules by presenting them in a combinatorial manner.

By Julie S

May 27, 2017

This was an excellent review of previous grammar courses I have taken, covering information that will be useful in continuing with the Academic Writing specialization.

By Hank Y

Jan 06, 2016

Good enough for students who know a little about English writing, but it is a little too easy for international students who have already begun their study in America.

Mar 19, 2020

Mostly basic stuff. This is well structured and easy to follow and understand. However, if you are looking for advance grammar and punctuation course, this is not it.

By José A N M

Feb 10, 2016

Great class. Some slides show awful colors. I think that could be improved. Also professional transition betwixt slides could give the course a more "polished" look.

By Somaia H E

Mar 29, 2020

one of the most amazing courses as I've learned a lot . I did not face any problems understanding the teacher or the info. Thank you so much for your great efforts.

By Ching-Han H

Oct 26, 2015

This course is really useful, clear and well-organized.

It is not only teaching me how to use punctuation correctly, also developing my logical thinking in English.

By Ena X

Nov 11, 2015

A very good review on punctuation and tense. However, I think the course is a little too simple. I hope that the class could cover more grammar topics in depth.

By Paul C

Mar 04, 2018

I enjoyed this course. In order to plan the next step, however, I would like to see a video explaining how all the courses in the Specialization fit together.

By Majesty W F

Jan 07, 2016

I have learned a lot with this course! It's like you are really attending a class, and socializing everyday with your classmates. I really had fun. Thank you!

By Thisumi W

It was useful to identify my mistakes when using grammar. And i love the way of exercises. But sometimes repeating the same thing. totally I love this course