Back to The Importance of Listening

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Importance of Listening by Northwestern University

In this second MOOC in the Social Marketing Specialization - "The Importance of Listening" - you will go deep into the Big Data of social and gain a more complete picture of what can be learned from interactions on social sites. You will be amazed at just how much information can be extracted from a single post, picture, or video. In this MOOC, guest speakers from Social Gist, BroadReader, Lexalytics, Semantria, Radian6, and IBM's Bluemix and Social Media Analytics Tools (SMA) will join Professor Hlavac to take you through the full range of analytics tools and options available to you and how to get the most from them. The best part, most of them will be available to you through the MOOC for free! Those purchasing the MOOC will receive special tools, templates, and videos to enhance your learning experience. In completing this course you will develop a fuller understanding of the data and will be able to increase the effectiveness of your content strategy by making better decisions and spotting crises before they happen! MOOC 2 bonus content in the paid toolkit includes access to Semantria's analytics engine to extract some data on the markets you are developing and have it analyzed. As a student in this course, you are being provided the opportunity to access IBM Bluemix® platform-as-a-service trial for up to six months at no-charge with no credit card (up to a $1500 value). NOTE: By enrolling in this course, given access to IBM's Bluemix technology for one month for free as well as Lexalytics' Semantria tool. For those earning a Course Certificate, you will be given an additional five months of Bluemix and three months of Semantria at no cost with a special key code. By enrolling for a Course Certificate for this MOOC, you are acknowledging that your email will be shared with Lexalytics for the sole and express purpose of generating your individual key code. After the key code has been generated, Lexalytics will delete your email from its records. Additional MOOC 2 faculty include: * Steve Dodd (SVP Business Development, Effyis - dba BoardReader and Socialgist - Global Social Media Content Access) * Seth Redmore (CMO, Lexalytics, Inc.) * Chris Gruber (Social Media Analytics Solution Architect, IBM) * Russell Beardall (Cloud Architect, IBM) * Tom Collinger (Executive Director Spiegel Research Center and Senior Director Distance Learning, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern) * Tressie Lieberman (VP Digital Innovation, Taco Bell)...

WL

May 26, 2018

I am enjoying the journey. I anticipate being a better digital marketer than ever before. Thank you for helping me to be better all the way around: personally, academically, and professionally.

SJ

Apr 02, 2016

I love the real-world and practical examples given for social listening. I think the descriptions of exactly how the social listening tools actually work help me with getting my own work done.

201 - 225 of 234 Reviews for The Importance of Listening

By Gavin B

Apr 20, 2017

Lots of application that are discussed within the course have been updated, so the tutorials are not longer relevant. This made it challenging to utilize the applications to the full extent.

By Kimberly J

Feb 01, 2018

It was a bit salesy in my opinion. IBM Blue Mix was pushed big time which was very off putting.

By Paula M O

Apr 04, 2018

I found this course really useful in terms of understanding the importance of listening, engaging in the conversations, and doing the follow up in order to position your brand positively. But the tools are not updated enough and some of them won't even work like shown on the videos.

By Antonio F R

Nov 15, 2017

Missing updates on software usage.

By Fabio P R

Feb 04, 2016

I found it was very interesting, for sure, but maybe too focused some times. Also, it seems good for listening to twitter, for example, but not other social medias that could be much more interesting in different situations.

By Anaïs N

Apr 10, 2016

I found the course useful to better ground and assimilate the ideas presented in the first one.

But on the other hand, as mentioned by other learners, I do find it a little too much on the commercial side.

I did find very interesting to learn to use some of the tools such as Klout. I think that in time, and working in the Social Media department of a company, I would get the chance to see the interest of Lexalytics but I DID NOT understand anything related to Bluemix... I felt it was superfluous in this course.

All in all, I did appreciate the course as it made me think more deeply about my goals, but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the €71. I feel it could have been shortened a tad bit and go more to the point.

I do look forward to the next course though as I am learning a great deal no matter what :)

By Stephane D

Mar 01, 2016

Some interesting content and great softwares/tools. However this second mooc is a bit too much on the commercial side (including VERY pricey softwares that few of us will ever use I guess). Fortunately, the other moocs of the specialization are much much better!

By Mariana M

Mar 10, 2017

I understand that it's important to know and get familiar with the tools but in my case I already use hootsuite to share and analyse my content. It was very confusing all the tutorials around the platforms.

By Katherine B

Dec 07, 2015

I found the monitoring tools a bit difficult to grasp in the time frame.

By Christina R

Dec 23, 2015

I liked the assignment, and the course... for the most part. What I didn't care for was so much time being spent on the IBM BlueMix and other software tutorials. I don't really see the value in those software, and it felt very sales pitch-y. I can't imagine using them in my day to day, so it just felt like a waste of time. But I did like all other aspects of this course, including the Taco Bell insight, as well as the details on Social Mention and the other free web applications that is more pertinent to future social work.

By Kathy D

Mar 08, 2016

It's a very special MOOC since they give great tools but it gets a little bit complicated because at the end, you need a tool that sumarizes rather than teaches you programming. Either way, I believe all the MOOCs are fantastic and necessary. They give great examples!

By Robin J

Feb 13, 2016

Too much basic stuff about Twitter and how everything works in detail. Could be more advanced.

By Casey

Oct 07, 2016

more of an ad for all of these software companies rather than being taught anything.

By Sharon A

Oct 10, 2019

Great course, but there are still some topics not updated to 2019 reality.

By Moutasem S

Nov 05, 2018

The Mooc's material is old and need updating, and there is a bulk of websites registrations we didn't need to fulfill our target as it is already expired or changed the scope, on other hand it guides to the main goal of listening to the target market and interact with influencers.

By Chakshu K

Sep 29, 2019

The material and a lot of the tools are outdated or have shut down. This course would be much better if that can be addressed.

By Linda L

May 04, 2018

Good, just frustrating there is no one in the forums to help when the apps we're being asked to use aren't working for us. I would have been nice to have some direction and to save some time. The course information will be helpful.

By Ali T

Oct 25, 2016

Honestly- I think the first two classes are very boring. The fact that there is a 60 year old man sitting at a table is the antithesis of what this course should be to be honest.

By Valeriya C

Feb 23, 2016

I would prefer to learn about less SMM tools more in depth, rather then getting to know so many just briefly. Felt a little bit overwhelmed.

By Christine_Akers

Feb 18, 2016

I liked this course, but there is room for improvement.

For the assignment where you list keywords and hashtags associated with your target audience using Social Mention, the keyword results are only as good as the search term you use. And there was not much guidance on how to determine that search term. For instance, my target market is comprised of sales and marketing managers in corporate and creative environments. What should I search for to find out what they are talking about? I truly don't know. I took a guess and completed the assignment, but it would be helpful to understand the strategy for using social mention successfully.

Secondly, the IBM Blue Mix section did not work. I signed up (using my Coursera email) but never received a confirmation email. I checked my spam folder. I created a support ticket through IBM and received support emails, but never got the confirmation email. They re-sent it several times but it never came through. Viewing the discussions, I was not the only one this happened to. And I had stopped watching the videos because I thought I needed that access to finish the course. Getting that straightened out would be a huge improvement.

By Mihai M

Jul 08, 2017

well, my main problem was that the tools MOOC provided didn't fit on the regional needs that I have.

Most of them have just an English oriented content analysis. Unfortunately, this MOOC didn't help me so much.

By Diana G

Mar 03, 2016

Using MOOC 2, I was really hoping we would go more in depth on (free) tools like Google Analytics. I would have liked information on how to better utilize the information I get from Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook's built in analytics tools as well. I know I'm under-utilizing them at present, and there's good stuff there.

In spite of claims to the contrary, the Lexalytics and IBM Bluemix videos did feel like extended infomercials. Moreover, I work for a small non-profit, and we have neither the funds or bandwidth to utilize programs like this. I think the time could have been better used doing a deeper dive with Klout and SocialMention. I'm working on the assignment now and feel like we barely scraped the surface with both of these programs.

There are just too many tools being introduced in this MOOC, and not enough practical learning. Tools are fantastic, but it's important to be utilizing them properly, otherwise I end up feeling like I'm wasting time.

By Kayley K

Nov 06, 2016

Aside from week 4, I found this course to be little more than a commercial for various social analytics programs. Also, there's a Google+ assignment. Google+ wasn't relevant five years ago, let alone in 2016. There's some potential in this course but it desperately needs to be updated for 2017. This course may be helpful to people just starting out as social media professionals but if you're already working in this field, you will find this course incredibly dull.

By maya l

Mar 11, 2017

This course was difficult to follow and the free trials offered seemed forced upon us. Lexalytics isn't available for a Mac, so I couldn't even use it. I think this portion of the specialization would be much better if it focused more on the value of these tools rather than trying to get us to install them. It might be useful for some (especially those in B2C or willing to play around with the tech), but it was a waste of time for me. I would have preferred to just take a look at some proven case studies linked to the tools.

By Don S

Jul 03, 2017

Needs updating. Several links no longer work.