Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

MK
Mar 5, 2021

Great course. Im a chemical engineering, applying for master's in Chemical Biotechnology. This course really helped in understanding the basics of this amazing field. Thanks guys. Humans are awesome.

JC
Apr 28, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

76 - 100 of 522 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Josia P

Jun 28, 2020

Was fun to get more insight into what is possible in biotechnology, and the thought processes behind it. Most lectures were well excecuted. I will definetely be continuing my study of industrial biotech.

By Fatima S

Apr 16, 2021

The coursea has offered a great opportunity with the collaboration of University of Manchester. The course I learned enhanced my knowledge and skills. Sure, it will benefit me more in the future.

Thanks

By Ana d l P P

Jan 29, 2021

Quite complete for a six week course.

It enriched my knowledge and helped to understand personal/profesional aims.

More stability in teachers would have been appreciated, congratulations on the last two.

By George N E

Nov 19, 2017

An eye-opener indeed. Particularly on the trends and prospects in the application of bio-molecular techniques in the industries and the in silico design and modification of enzymes ; fascinating indeed.

By Estefania M

Jun 7, 2020

It is a great course, full of information and additional materials to complement the lectures. I strongly recommend it for someone who wants to be updated on new techniques in the biotech industry.

By Samer S

Jul 4, 2021

Very informative course. I am grateful to all scientists who have invested the valuable time for sharing their knowledge and research experiences for our career benefits. Thank you very much....

By Mayra

Sep 12, 2020

Me encanto el curso, tiene mucha información interesante. Durante la clase me interesó mucho más aprender, habían temas que no tenia conocimiento y gracias a coursera puede conocerlas.

By Deemi O

Jul 9, 2020

It was very easy to understand the concepts, super interesting and engaging. You learn a lot of the applications biotechnology already has and the many more it I’ll have in the future.

By Ruth M B

Apr 2, 2021

Es curso que se enfoca en los puntos cruciales sobre la Biotecnología, en los Bioprocesos involucrados, las líneas de investigación o aplicaciones de la Biotecnología. ¡Muy completo!

By Megan B

May 12, 2020

Really educational course. Good case studies. Good Introduction to the industrial biology world. Nice mix of instructors with different specialties. I feel like I've learned a lot!

By PRANJALI B

Jul 24, 2021

its really a great course to study from basic level to advance level knowledge related to industrial biotechnology. thank you so much for create such nice platform for learners.

By Ana C R A

Oct 4, 2020

It is a good course, where I learned many things about the industrial biotechnology. Although in the university I saw many things about this theme, here I deepened my knowledge.

By Haththotuwa G A S S

Jun 26, 2020

Even though I successfully completed and haven't received the certificate , this course has provided me a great chance to get an idea about the industrial bio technology sector.

By Nolba M

Jun 1, 2020

This course gives you an overview of industrial biotechnology, it is very well illustrated with examples. It also offers complementary material to consult. Excellent, thanks!

By Nicolas M M

May 11, 2021

Completé este curso por solicitud como trabajo de clase en mi universidad y me interesó demasiado la temática que aborda, lo recomiendo para ampliar la gama de conocimiento.

By Mónica M V D

Jan 16, 2021

The information was very useful and I learned a lot! Great content, just notice that some videos are cut suddenly and sometimes, you cannot see the complete information.

By Ralph V A

Sep 26, 2020

The course is very informative, fun, and enlightening. The topics are presented in a way that it could be picked up by anyone with little to no experience in the topic.

By RITU R

Jun 15, 2020

It was really informative course and I got to learn many new and advanced things in Industrial Biotechnology. My favorite topic was Pharmaceuticals and fine chemicals.

By MALLIMOGGALA H

Jun 8, 2020

Everything is interesting and a good course to improvise our thinking skills practically but only issue from my side was 1 or 2 lectures were not audible properly.

By Tishita P

Aug 2, 2021

Industrial Biotechnology is a very informative course. It covers all the aspects of Biotechnology. I would like to thank all the scientists for their contribution.

By Komal P

Jul 15, 2020

All aspects of industrial biotechnology are very well explained by professors.It was really beneficial and worth to enroll for industrial biotechnology course.

By Vandita V

May 9, 2020

Very informative course. Starts with the basics and gradually introduces and builds upon the concepts. The questions in the assessment are also very well made.

By Apoorva M

Jul 1, 2020

The course gave me better knowledge on how industrial biotechnology works and what are its different aspects. It was very insightful and enjoyable experience!

By Krishnamoorthy P

Sep 6, 2020

It is great course for folks longing to learn on recent advancements in the field of biotechnology!. As a engineer, it is great one to learn on science area.

By Dr. H P

Jun 11, 2020

This course given compherensive idea about various fields biotechnologist can perform. It is good have such vast diverse knowledge for considersing options.