Back to Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System by Duke University

Ever wonder how Netflix decides what movies to recommend for you? Or how Amazon recommends books? We can get a feel for how it works by building a simplified recommender of our own! In this capstone, you will show off your problem solving and Java programming skills by creating recommender systems. You will work with data for movies, including ratings, but the principles involved can easily be adapted to books, restaurants, and more. You will write a program to answer questions about the data, including which items should be recommended to a user based on their ratings of several movies. Given input files on users ratings and movie titles, you will be able to: 1. Read in and parse data into lists and maps; 2. Calculate average ratings; 3. Calculate how similar a given rater is to another user based on ratings; and 4. Recommend movies to a given user based on ratings. 5. Display recommended movies for a given user on a webpage....

GW

Feb 19, 2016

I really like this approach to a final project. I learned a lot outside of the course by using a different, full-featured IDE and writing unit tests for my code. Pretty challenging!

CT

Sep 17, 2018

Challenging, but I feel that I learned a lot about programming. I'm looking forward to the UCSD intermediate programming course.

1 - 25 of 57 Reviews for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

By Khaled H

Aug 14, 2017

i have taken the whole specialization . so this review is for the whole specialization in general and for the capastone in particular.

the first and the second course is very easy . but the three remaining course are a little bit tough

so you will need to struggle and persist to complete the whole specialization especially the great project .

indeed the project is extremely great . you will use all the concept you have learned through this specialization to implement this great project .... but NOTE this specialization in general and the project in particular is NOT for a BEGINNER Programmer. it is for some one who has a background in programming . but overall you will learn a lot great stuff and concepts .. so have fun and enjoy programming .

By Edward F

Jun 10, 2017

I took the full Specialization, so I'm going write the same review for each of the 5 modules.

This is a great course, but it's not for beginners. They ask you to do a lot of coding, which is great since that's the only way to really gain proficiency. And the code they ask you to write is, in my opinion, pretty hard for someone new to coding. My hat's off to someone new to programming who makes it through the five modules.

So, thanks to Duke for putting together a great course. It was very good.

By David H

Dec 11, 2018

A great capstone for this specialization. One quibble is with the time estimates: all the reading assignments are marked as taking 10 minutes, which is probably true: just reading and understanding the reading will probably take that long. However, these assignments also task the student with writing code which is impossible to write in 10 minutes. Throughout the specialization, I often took between 1-7 hours to complete a reading/coding assignment. So the time commitment that they advertise is totally out of whack with reality.

That said, the material is mostly well-presented and interesting and the coding practice does give you good experience of what it is like working in Java.

By Thomas H

Jan 30, 2016

Loved the project, but I am going to keep my review at 3 stars until there is a module to add capstone project to a web page. This would be super helpful for showing my work to a future employer!

By Douglas A

Oct 01, 2016

I posted a question on the last week on the forum and never received an answer from a mentor. I had one response from another student which did not actually address the issue of my question and I had several views. And it wasn't as if there were a lot of questions posted. One course mentor could have easily answered all of them.

By Matios D

Mar 28, 2019

Great course.

By Eugeny K

Jan 31, 2019

Great course. Somewhat easy relatively to other courses in this specialization.

By LAKKOJU N S S R T

Mar 05, 2019

learnt how to apply java in real time applications

By Mateusz A

Mar 29, 2016

Most excellent Capstone of a course. Love the continuity....

By Arunabh G

Nov 17, 2016

This Caption project will help you to apply and have better understanding of the 5 courses in this specialization.

By Roman

Feb 06, 2016

Excellent course! I really enjoyed this! Realy cool project!!!

By 蒋恬梦

Feb 07, 2018

Thanks to all the teachers!!

By Rudik E

Feb 04, 2016

It was Great!

By Mario P

Sep 15, 2016

I've learned a lot of how to build a programs in object-oriented language. Thanks a lot, it is the best course I've attended.

By Devul N

Nov 05, 2017

This course has a perfect capstone project, that really requires all of your understanding from the previous courses to come together. The Movie Recommended System may seem challenging as little help is provided to help you make it, but once you finally make it, its one of the best things you can show off. Thanks for an amazing course!

By Kishaan J

Jun 11, 2017

Offers an opportunity to practice all the concepts learnt so far! Good job by the team!

By Oscar R

Feb 02, 2016

Great/Excellent teachers.

By RAFAEL G V

Oct 17, 2016

Muy bueno, como introducción a la programación es muy completo y te abre las puertas para entender hasta otros lenguajes.

By Nirlan N Z d S

Jun 20, 2016

Excellent course! A real challenge! It is awesome when you apply what you have learned!

By Antonio P

Dec 11, 2016

A clear and well organized course

By wen c

Sep 06, 2017

very very very good course

By Makiko O

Dec 20, 2017

Enjoyed it!

By Maria D

Jan 28, 2017

I like the exercises a lot and I suspect is a great thing that I leave the course with a lot of questions.

By 于泽众

Sep 13, 2017

nice

By Hamza B

Feb 03, 2016

I loved so much , it helped me a lot