Back to Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System by Duke University

Ever wonder how Netflix decides what movies to recommend for you? Or how Amazon recommends books? We can get a feel for how it works by building a simplified recommender of our own! In this capstone, you will show off your problem solving and Java programming skills by creating recommender systems. You will work with data for movies, including ratings, but the principles involved can easily be adapted to books, restaurants, and more. You will write a program to answer questions about the data, including which items should be recommended to a user based on their ratings of several movies. Given input files on users ratings and movie titles, you will be able to: 1. Read in and parse data into lists and maps; 2. Calculate average ratings; 3. Calculate how similar a given rater is to another user based on ratings; and 4. Recommend movies to a given user based on ratings. 5. Display recommended movies for a given user on a webpage....

GW

Feb 19, 2016

I really like this approach to a final project. I learned a lot outside of the course by using a different, full-featured IDE and writing unit tests for my code. Pretty challenging!

JP

Jun 03, 2020

It’s a great project requiring good application of java. Some steps were hard to follow but understood them after some time. A good project to end a specialisation course. Cheers.

76 - 82 of 82 Reviews for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

By FANGRONG P

Feb 20, 2016

The project is a little bit easy yet tedious, a good practice of using Java though.

By Alexandre C

Jun 16, 2017

Nice introduction to Java and programing principles in general

By Roberto R

Mar 09, 2017

it was another nice exercise

By Lei H

Jun 10, 2018

Very interesting project!

By Ahmed N A

Sep 05, 2019

Once again the lecturers decide to give you 30% of the project and tell you to complete it. The first two weeks tells you to build a flimsy base for your application and the other two tell you to pull your crap together and go back and fix it. I don't understand what the point of that was, why didn't you make me do it right from the start? It was more frustrating than helpful but it wasn't a bad project, just poorly handled. Hard to call it my own when

By Martin G

Jul 18, 2018

Didn't liked this course. Maybe I excepted more from the idea to build a recommendation system

By Dionte J

Mar 17, 2020

I submitted a question to the forum back in Oct. 2019 for assistance with the last course in this specialization. It's now March 2020, I have gotten no feedback from moderators or course instructors, and this was the last course I needed to complete to earn my certificate. However, I refuse to continue paying a subscription fee for a course that isn't monitored or maintained.