Back to Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System by Duke University

Ever wonder how Netflix decides what movies to recommend for you? Or how Amazon recommends books? We can get a feel for how it works by building a simplified recommender of our own! In this capstone, you will show off your problem solving and Java programming skills by creating recommender systems. You will work with data for movies, including ratings, but the principles involved can easily be adapted to books, restaurants, and more. You will write a program to answer questions about the data, including which items should be recommended to a user based on their ratings of several movies. Given input files on users ratings and movie titles, you will be able to: 1. Read in and parse data into lists and maps; 2. Calculate average ratings; 3. Calculate how similar a given rater is to another user based on ratings; and 4. Recommend movies to a given user based on ratings. 5. Display recommended movies for a given user on a webpage....

GW

Feb 19, 2016

I really like this approach to a final project. I learned a lot outside of the course by using a different, full-featured IDE and writing unit tests for my code. Pretty challenging!

JP

Jun 03, 2020

It’s a great project requiring good application of java. Some steps were hard to follow but understood them after some time. A good project to end a specialisation course. Cheers.

26 - 50 of 82 Reviews for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

By ASMA B

Jun 04, 2020

I get more knowledge and I am very happy to have this chance to meet the great teacher her .

By Shubham S

Aug 09, 2020

The course was excellent and it gave a hands-on practice on a real-time problem statement.

By AKASH K S

Jan 31, 2017

This is a excellent course and covers all the concept taught in the entire Specialization.

By Tanmay G

Aug 30, 2019

Amazing Capstone Project!! I loved it! Really good specialization.....

Highly recommended!

By Kishaan J

Jun 11, 2017

Offers an opportunity to practice all the concepts learnt so far! Good job by the team!

By Nirlan N Z d S

Jun 20, 2016

Excellent course! A real challenge! It is awesome when you apply what you have learned!

By Chew W Y

Jun 17, 2016

Succinct and fun material, rating movies that is relevant to most. Thanks instructors!

By Eugeny K

Jan 31, 2019

Great course. Somewhat easy relatively to other courses in this specialization.

By Mridul M

Jul 13, 2020

It was one of the best specialization that I have completed so far.

By David N M

Jul 01, 2016

Excellent course with outstanding instructors. Requires commitment

By Roman

Feb 06, 2016

Excellent course! I really enjoyed this! Realy cool project!!!

By Jinqiang Z

Oct 11, 2019

it's very practical and not too difficult for Java starters.

By Suhash B

Jul 07, 2019

This has helped me enhance my knowledge in Java Programming.

By Mateusz A

Mar 29, 2016

Most excellent Capstone of a course. Love the continuity....

By Suryaa

Oct 01, 2020

Fun and insightful! It's worth every bit of one's time.

By Sai d r

Oct 09, 2020

This is the best course I have done in online platform

By Luis E S B

Sep 13, 2020

A very challenging final project with a lot of fun.

By LAKKOJU N S S R T

Mar 05, 2019

learnt how to apply java in real time applications

By Diar S

Feb 26, 2018

good course and very interesting things to learn.

By Hamza B

Feb 03, 2016

I loved so much , it helped me a lot

By Arnav J

Great challenging capstone project

By Antonio P

Dec 11, 2016

A clear and well organized course

By 蒋恬梦

Feb 07, 2018

Thanks to all the teachers!!

By GtzL

Sep 22, 2020

I like so much the courses!

By wen c

Sep 06, 2017

very very very good course