Back to Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System by Duke University

Ever wonder how Netflix decides what movies to recommend for you? Or how Amazon recommends books? We can get a feel for how it works by building a simplified recommender of our own! In this capstone, you will show off your problem solving and Java programming skills by creating recommender systems. You will work with data for movies, including ratings, but the principles involved can easily be adapted to books, restaurants, and more. You will write a program to answer questions about the data, including which items should be recommended to a user based on their ratings of several movies. Given input files on users ratings and movie titles, you will be able to: 1. Read in and parse data into lists and maps; 2. Calculate average ratings; 3. Calculate how similar a given rater is to another user based on ratings; and 4. Recommend movies to a given user based on ratings. 5. Display recommended movies for a given user on a webpage....

GW

Feb 19, 2016

I really like this approach to a final project. I learned a lot outside of the course by using a different, full-featured IDE and writing unit tests for my code. Pretty challenging!

CT

Sep 17, 2018

Challenging, but I feel that I learned a lot about programming. I'm looking forward to the UCSD intermediate programming course.

1 - 25 of 51 Reviews for Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System

By Khaled H

Aug 14, 2017

i have taken the whole specialization . so this review is for the whole specialization in general and for the capastone in particular.

the first and the second course is very easy . but the three remaining course are a little bit tough

so you will need to struggle and persist to complete the whole specialization especially the great project .

indeed the project is extremely great . you will use all the concept you have learned through this specialization to implement this great project .... but NOTE this specialization in general and the project in particular is NOT for a BEGINNER Programmer. it is for some one who has a background in programming . but overall you will learn a lot great stuff and concepts .. so have fun and enjoy programming .

By Edward F

Jun 10, 2017

I took the full Specialization, so I'm going write the same review for each of the 5 modules.

This is a great course, but it's not for beginners. They ask you to do a lot of coding, which is great since that's the only way to really gain proficiency. And the code they ask you to write is, in my opinion, pretty hard for someone new to coding. My hat's off to someone new to programming who makes it through the five modules.

So, thanks to Duke for putting together a great course. It was very good.

By Douglas A

Oct 01, 2016

I posted a question on the last week on the forum and never received an answer from a mentor. I had one response from another student which did not actually address the issue of my question and I had several views. And it wasn't as if there were a lot of questions posted. One course mentor could have easily answered all of them.

By Thomas H

Jan 30, 2016

Loved the project, but I am going to keep my review at 3 stars until there is a module to add capstone project to a web page. This would be super helpful for showing my work to a future employer!

By Suhash B

Jul 07, 2019

This has helped me enhance my knowledge in Java Programming.

By Abrar H

Jul 01, 2019

Well paced Course!

By Shaun R

Mar 29, 2019

Most everything was good in this course. There were a few things that they didn't explain how to do ever throughout this 5 course program which was frustrating, but other students helped to fill the gaps on that part. Otherwise it was a great course that helped me put all of my knowledge to use.

By Matios D

Mar 28, 2019

Great course.

By LAKKOJU N S S R T

Mar 05, 2019

learnt how to apply java in real time applications

By Guangchen X

Mar 01, 2019

Not enough submissions to review at the end. So not very friendly to self pace learning. Had to wait to review other people's submissions before complete the course, which may waste some time since it's paid by month.

By Eugeny K

Jan 31, 2019

Great course. Somewhat easy relatively to other courses in this specialization.

By Peter G W

Jan 14, 2019

This whole series really challenged me but I've learned more from this course than any of my other previous attempts to learn programming. I feel a lot more confident now taking on more challenges in software development. There were some homework problems near the end that could have been explained a little better (sometimes I was overthinking it). I also felt that perhaps instead of BlueJ, I would've liked to use something like Eclipse in order to better understand the main() function. All in all, I would definitely recommend this course for those interested in programming or wanting to learn Java.

By David H

Dec 11, 2018

A great capstone for this specialization. One quibble is with the time estimates: all the reading assignments are marked as taking 10 minutes, which is probably true: just reading and understanding the reading will probably take that long. However, these assignments also task the student with writing code which is impossible to write in 10 minutes. Throughout the specialization, I often took between 1-7 hours to complete a reading/coding assignment. So the time commitment that they advertise is totally out of whack with reality.

That said, the material is mostly well-presented and interesting and the coding practice does give you good experience of what it is like working in Java.

By Chris T

Sep 17, 2018

By Martin G

Jul 18, 2018

Didn't liked this course. Maybe I excepted more from the idea to build a recommendation system

By Lei H

Jun 10, 2018

Very interesting project!

By Diar S

Feb 26, 2018

good course and very interesting things to learn.

By 蒋恬梦

Feb 07, 2018

Thanks to all the teachers!!

By Makiko O

Dec 20, 2017

Enjoyed it!

By YiFan ( Z

Dec 12, 2017

Fantastic course! The instructors were very engaging, the lessons were varied and provided me with a wide variety of information in the field. After completely this course, I definitely feel much more confident working in this field.

By Devul N

Nov 05, 2017

This course has a perfect capstone project, that really requires all of your understanding from the previous courses to come together. The Movie Recommended System may seem challenging as little help is provided to help you make it, but once you finally make it, its one of the best things you can show off. Thanks for an amazing course!

By 于泽众

Sep 13, 2017

nice

By wen c

Sep 06, 2017

very very very good course

By Alexandre C

Jun 16, 2017

Nice introduction to Java and programing principles in general

By Kishaan J

Jun 11, 2017

Offers an opportunity to practice all the concepts learnt so far! Good job by the team!