Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

MG
Sep 5, 2018

This was an entertaining way to learn the theories. Theories can be very dry and through the videos, I had a good visual of the different considerations when designing language learning experiences.

101 - 125 of 1,366 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Lindemberg P d S

Apr 23, 2019

Awesome!!! It's pretty interesting to know the development of teaching a foreign language since 19th until the present days! I believe that every foreign or English teacher should have, at least, a basic knowledge of ESL language learning in order improve their skills and lessons better.

By Marina H

Nov 29, 2017

As teachers we have to know differences between Approaches in order to make a class productive. All of these simulated possible activities and techniques for learners to use in our own classes.This course help us how can we implement these ideas . It`s very interesting, funny and useful.

By Monica P C C

Feb 3, 2019

Very good course! I learned the different approaches that an ESL tecaher uses in their courses. Although I instinctively knew some of them, I did not know where they come from or why, and it helped me clarify those doubts, as well as learning many new techniques I can use in the future.

By Konstantin U

Oct 17, 2018

Wonderful! I love how informative and fun the instructor and his team have made the course. The reenactments and role-plays are awesome. The instructor is not only a great teacher, but also a talented actor! The information in the course has substance and is also practical for teaching.

By Lingling Y

Feb 14, 2020

Very enjoyable especially with the time machine going back in time where Dr Shane dressed for the era. Excellent effort. Learnt a lot through the evolution of the theories in language learning. It helps me to recall some of the things i had learnt 6 years back in the Teaching College.

By BUNYAMIN C

Apr 16, 2017

Every lesson I have faced new useful and effective information... Generally this course we have seen some Approaches, I mean methodology... As you know methodology is a very boring issue but I have seen and gotten them very enjoyable way in this courses' videos. Thank you very much

By Nafisa A

Oct 1, 2020

I would like to thank all the staff of the Teach English Now course staff. The courses are very informative and helpful. Thank you for giving us such a great opportunity to learn online and take courses from professional teachers. I'm very grateful being a part of this community.

By VICKY K

Feb 13, 2016

The way the theories are represented in such a funny way ,it catches your attention.It was a very interesting course in which I learnt the basic theories of Second Language Acquisition and I understood how these theories have formed the current way of teaching.Excellent work!

By Nancy E M

Jan 18, 2016

Absolutely brilliant course. Covers a wide range of language acquisition techniques through the years and the advantages and disadvantages of each, as well as how each one may look like today, what has been kept, and what my be modified and how for use in today's classrooms.

By Paulina V

Apr 27, 2020

This is such an important course giving you an overview on history of teaching ESL. I would definately recommend Coursera and this TESOL course to anyone who interested in teaching ESL. Looking forward for next coursers from Arizona State University and Coursera. Thank you.

By Hilda O M

Nov 26, 2020

Studying with Coursera has been a great journey for me. It has given me the opportunity to recognize my shortcomings in teaching and upgrading my teaching skills/techniques as well. I want to thank everyone- our mentors, my peers and of course Coursera for the big help.

By Marina F

Mar 9, 2019

I really love this course from the get go. Again lovely graphics, engaging teachers and very useful information. Thank you for the sharing this knowledge at such a slow price! I hope education because more accessible like this in the future. Thank you for leading the way.

By Xu H

Nov 17, 2016

From this online course, I have a better understanding of theories of second language acquisiton. The techniques in this course are quite inspiring for me. In my future teaching, I will try more techniques from different theories to help my students learn English better.

By Rakhmonova M

Sep 26, 2020

At university we learned all approaches that we learned during the course. However, I did not have full information about them. Now I learned many new things and I discovered new teaching methods for myself. I really want to share them with others! Thank you very much!

By Inhae H

Aug 2, 2017

I'm so grateful of this program. I'm glad that I passed and grateful of receiving financial support and internet based condition. I already share information about this program who wants to get Tesol Certificate. Thank you so much for this program. And please keep C

By Nova R D R

Jan 28, 2020

As a new language teacher, this course is suited for me. I learned so many things from the approaches and techniques used back in 1880 up to early 80's. I can apply some of the techniques I learned as long as it is aligned to the needs of my students. Thank you ASU!

By Clyde M

Sep 3, 2019

This course expands and expounds on the general information of the first in this specialization. It provides a good grasp of teaching history since 1880, with an emphasis on choosing a style of teaching independent from one specific style. Well-presented materials.

By hema r

Jun 28, 2016

I could relate well to this course. As a Language Trainer, I have worked upon and devised several strategies explained in the Communicative and Comprehension Approaches. The purpose of teaching has become more meaningful....Kudos to Dr. Shane and his team mates..

By Jenny s

Apr 18, 2016

This is the frist time that I have enrolled MOOC course online, I have to say it's awesome, I learned a lot From ASU, this course is impressive and useful, Dr. Shane is the best tutor I've never seen who makes the class so interesting and I am eager to learn more.

By Oiday H M

Es muy útil, posee muy buena información. Este curso, como parte del programa completo para la certificación, es muy bueno, pues ayuda centrar los objetivos que uno como profesor(a) de un segundo idioma tiene que tener para cumplir apropiadamente con su trabajo.

By ylcalderon@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2018

It is really iinteresting and important to know the theories that lead the teaching and learning process in the field of learning a new language, and in here we have a very good tool to know what to apply and where to do so. Thanks for everything you taught me.

By Anselm C

Feb 9, 2016

I appreciate i have got the teaching course. and I have have learnt a lot of teaching methods and pedagogies such as Grammar Translation Approach, Audio-lingual Approach and so on. The most important thing is that it's not just a course but stimulation to me.

By Ashraqat E

I have learned a lot from this course. Now, i have a clear understanding of every approach and how to use it and apply it in my classroom to gain effective result in teaching and improving student's language . Thanks for the effort. The course is exceptional.

By William X

Jun 29, 2017

Great, five stars. Since learned history of language learning and teaching, I had a new angle to think and practise English teaching. It is very helpful for me, seems my brain get a new fresh air. the world is diversity, different purposes, different methods.

By George L

Sep 15, 2020

Very interesting to learn how teaching theory has changed and the "back & forth" of language theory from one time frame to another. This peaked my interest to delve deeper into the theories to see what techniques and tools I might use to enhance my teaching.