Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

ZY
Oct 10, 2018

Teachers are great. The course is fun and informative. I love this specialization. I look forward to completing all the courses as soon as possible. I highly recommend this course and specialization.

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

176 - 200 of 1,557 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Rasha A M

Aug 8, 2020

It was a great enjoyable course.I really enjoyed and understood methodology for the first time in my life. You are really brilliant educators and the idea of the time machine and the devil and the angel is really brilliant.Thanks a million.

By Olga G

Oct 30, 2018

I can describe this course as structured, balanced, fresh and easy to comprehend. Moreover, I feel like it brings me back to life ...

Fantastic teachers, who do know how to motivate - thank you!

I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Luis T

Feb 7, 2016

It's a quite helpful and useful course if you want to get familiar with the history of all the approaches related to teaching English as a Second Language. Also, it makes you realize how much we as teachers still use from those approaches.

By Maria P M G

Nov 5, 2019

This program has really helped me to understand how different we can teach English and how much it affects the way we transmit. A great course to strengthen communication and expand the vision toward our students and the world around us.

By Cassiano R

Loved every single minute of it. As a teacher for sixteen years, I’d never stopped to think of where my teaching approach comes from. It is amazing studying the history of teaching and seeing how it is applied now and developed so far.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 15, 2016

I am really happy with this course. I love it because it's interesting, it's designed to make students think and takes studying and learning to a completely different level. It makes me want to study and want more too. Great course!

By ARMAN D

May 12, 2020

It was excellent and well done! I have learned so many new things and i believe it would help me through my career and also maybe other careers which are not very related to English Teaching it is good for Teaching in general, too

By José D C M

Sep 18, 2020

This is a great course, if you want to improve your teaching skills, you are in the right place . I m so grateful for the opportunity to take it and to learn a lot about this necessary field as an English

Teacher. God bless you!

By Apivat H

May 23, 2017

Great overview and survey of the major theories and approaches to Second Language Acquisition. This module provides learners with a grounding in historical approaches and an understanding of predominant schools of thought in SLA.

By J V I S

May 8, 2019

Wonderful Course and the methodology employed to interestingly explain theoretical concepts was awesome. I like to record my special thanks and appreciation to both the Course instructors and very specially the Course designer.

By Jenny V J

Nov 25, 2020

I loved learning this course. Despite the limited time, the Professors were able to give us a clear content about the different language teaching approaches throughout history. The video presentations were fun and informative!

By Hannah D

May 11, 2019

Thank you so much for this course! I learned a lot and totally had fun with the material. Dr. Shane Dixon's stints were done so well that I can only wish to be at least half as good the teacher that he is. Good job to everyone!

By HANY A E M H A

Nov 9, 2017

a very good and powerful course . It is needed in many careers. The teachers are very professional and they have what you need . i enjoyed the class pretty much . i have gained a lot of information which helped me in my class .

By Julien B

May 23, 2017

Excellent course! I was a little put off by the sometimes "cheesy" time machine videos, but the information presented helped me refine and communicate my ESL teaching methodology. Much thanks to the team that put this together!

By Yakubovskyi O

Nov 30, 2020

Familiarity with the history of language approaches is required for a deep understanding of their own and current theory of teaching with the world practice of teaching on the basis of different language approaches over time.

By Bacher R

Mar 19, 2018

It has been always so boring for me to study about theories of teaching and going back to history, till now! I never enjoyed studying an online course like this, and Dr Shane, You are a true inspiration of a Great teacher :)

By Kristin H

Oct 10, 2020

I enjoyed this historical journey of language learning theories. It was helpful to consider each of them objectively and evaluate their pros and cons. It is also interesting to read the varying perspectives of classmates.

By Abigail C

Oct 11, 2019

Loved the overview of teaching techniques and the fact that I have shared vocabulary and understanding of teaching techniques to use when discussing learning/teaching approaches with other similarly-certified instructors.

By Carlos J T S

Dec 30, 2018

The second part of this course gives the teacher a deep understanding of the different approaches that have been used throught time and allows teacher to apply these approaches effectively accordinf to the learners' need.

By Guillermo A M L

May 3, 2019

Excellent course! I understand a lot more about where the techniques we commonly use in teaching come from, and how we can improve our teaching style to get the most out of every student. This course really helped a lot.

By Alondra C

Feb 3, 2021

Excelente trabajo de los especialistas, hacen que todo sea más fácil de comprender.

Las lecturas muy interesantes y todo el material del curso es muy motivante a seguir viendo más y realizando más rapido las actividades.

By PD G

Jun 10, 2019

I have learned so much from this course about the history of ESL. It has been fun and entertaining but, most of all, I know that it has provided me with the critical tools I will need to become a future ESL teacher.

By Ayoub B

Jun 10, 2021

it was a very mind enriching course for sure. Am very thrilled with this experience and in been taugh a lot in the field that am very intrested in. Thank you very much for the coursera people, mostly the professor.

By Oyku B

Feb 8, 2018

The content certainly sticks! MUD. The presentation is great, instructors are passionate about the course and the acting is memorable for the purposes of the content of the modules. It is also fairly challenging.

By Linda P

Jan 29, 2021

This course has enlightened me on how the teaching and learning language has evolved. The assignment submission has also helped me to understand the course. I really excited to continue my learning with coursera.