Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

AA
Jun 21, 2021

Interesting courses! I am learning a lot. Thank you very much Coursera. I have just completed course 2 and been delivered a certificate but I just can't access my new course. What should I do, please?

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

51 - 75 of 1,589 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Adalto F d G

Jun 1, 2016

The high level of the content and the teachers able to inspire, are maybe the best reason to do this course. I never saw so good teachers as they have here and the ability to teach and give valuable information to the learners as done here. In another situation, this course should cost a lot of money.

Thanks to professors Shane Dixon, Jessica Cinco and Justin. More than teach, you are able to inspire!

By Rosa F

Oct 25, 2020

Even if as teachers we already know about the different approaches and the use of its techniques and strategies, the way you use to explain the contents, has helped me a lot. Now I'm learning in the good and right sense. I have more clear how to help my students and its helped me also to auto reflect where and who i am and where and how i want to go from here in my teaching-learning process.

Thanks!

By Rachel G

Jul 10, 2017

By studying the history of teaching approaches, I learned both the purposes behind teaching techniques throughout history and why the do or do not work based on a learner's purpose for learning a language. And, as a bonus, as a second language learner, I learned new learner strategies too. The information was clear, and the method of presentation made it both entertaining and memorable. Thanks.

By Aaron T

Nov 29, 2020

The lessons are engaging and interesting to say the least. It is interesting to learn all of the approaches that have been used throughout history. I will take what is useful from the approaches, discard what is useless and finally, make an approach that is truly mine! I recommend this course to anyone who is keen on the theories of 2nd language acquisition or on language acquisition in general!

By Ester A

Jan 17, 2021

I'd like to say special “Thank you!” to my main dearest American teachers and all members of team of this wonderful, and, very useful for people around the world, course. Thank you for your unreal help for such women like me. Your great program really changes for better a lot of lives. You make me a person, who is full of happy and hope for better fate in the future. Love you all very much!

By Ariel S M

Feb 27, 2016

Like the course before this one, Theories of Second Language Acquistion was exceptional. I love how the professors creatively distill very important facts and information in a format that is enjoyable and refreshing for students. I wish all Coursera Courses were carefully planned and presented like this course - how you present it is just as important as the content that you are presenting.

By Kirsten M

Apr 2, 2020

An excellent overview of the history of ESL teaching methods. Presented as vignettes using simple caricatures, it is easy to follow and the exaggerated style makes each theory memorable. The graphic organizer that the course provides keeps your notes in place, and will come in handy at Final Exam time. This is not an easy course; you will work and you will learn, but you will also enjoy.

By Shane D L

Feb 14, 2016

Shane Dixon is a little over the top, but it's clear that his energy and enthusiasm is backed up by his knowledge (also it makes sense that he would have such a personality considering the need for it in his ESL classrooms). Everything he says is directed towards helping you understand how to apply what you are learning in a class. Easily the most interesting online course I've taken.

By Fernando C C

Nov 5, 2020

It was an extraordinary class, filled with interesting and appealing ways of teaching the contrasting strategies of learning. The only aspect that at the end quiz was a little dizzying, was those three questions of strategies and tools used by three of the language learning schools of thought, after all the information, it was a little hard to pinpoint the minute details of them.

By Chị H

Feb 27, 2020

I love the lecturers and Coursera so much. I feel motivated when learning this course. It helps me a lot to get a deeper insight into the English teaching approach. I used to lack interest in the history of previous research, theory but lively illustration and fantastic teaching styles of lecturers awake my mind. I am grateful for having this opportunity to upgrade my profession

By Anastasia Y

Jun 23, 2020

This course is one of the most interesting and challenging ones I have ever encountered. The lectures are full of important names, dates, and information and I couldn't be more satisfied with this. The only thing I didn't quite enjoy was the Angel and Devil Approach: it wasn't as interesting to watch and, to be honest, a little weird. But the mentors did a great job! Thank you!

By Pawel V

Jul 22, 2020

Highly useful in getting insights into the theories of Second Language acquisition. I could imbibe many techniques that can be used in my classroom. Definitely helped me in becoming a better teacher. The trainers are excellent. The material provided is really awesome. I feel all language teachers must take the course. it will be a very enriching experience for them as well.

By Claudia Y A M

Aug 16, 2020

I am deeply grateful to Coursera for bringing this platform to the rest of the world. It opens the opportunity to learn and acquire new skills. Special thanks to Shane, Justin, and Jessica for driving the lessons in this course in a very interactive, fun, and creative way. It was an amazing experience, where I learned a lot and help me in acquiring new skills. Many thanks.

By Umarov K H

Mar 31, 2019

Very informative and helpful. It worse the time I have dedicated to it. Thank you very much to Coursera and Arizona State University for the provided opportunity and great experience and theoretical knowledge. I really didn't have funds for the course, thanks for your kindness and the will to bring knowledge even free of charge and without any benefit for you.

Thank you!

By David S B

Mar 9, 2016

This course was nicely contructed and fun. It contained a lot of helpful information for a person desiring to teach English as a second langauge. It helped me to move closer to my own approach and philosophy to teaching language. I would indeed reccomend this course to others. I may recommend this course to my teaching staff. This is reasonably priced and informative.

By Erik M

Apr 13, 2020

In this course I was introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. I also learnt the basic studies in second language acquisition and the pedagogical implications. I understand the importance of using my own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique.

By Eman A A

Nov 2, 2017

An excellent course, this course get us to know all about theories teachers use in the past until now and i learned a lot of new teaching methods and how can I use these theories in my classroom ,and I have to thank the instructor Mr. Shane for his professional,easy and lovely teaching way the best instructor I've ever known I've learned a lot from his way of teaching.

By Aigul Z

Feb 13, 2016

Cool! Thanks a lot for such a wonderful opportunity to have a clearer view of chronology of ESL approaches.

It gives more confidence and understanding what this or that technique is used for. I know much more than I used to and therefore, I develop my teaching and methodology awareness.

I look forward to the next course and hope I will implement it widely in my practice.

By Tuyana S

Jun 5, 2020

I love how wonderfully teachers structured the material. Everything is made for the learner to comprehend and remember by giving interesting ideas and bright memories. Shain is not only a great teacher but also a great actor. Thank you for making the learning process so engaging and easy to understand! definitely recommend this course for the one who is into teaching.

By Yoshua A H D

Feb 17, 2018

It is an excellent program that allows current teachers to obtain certification for what they already do and may have learned parts of from experience. Besides that, your given a week to complete courses free, and for those like me who are struggling financially and making pesos, this is really a blessing and opportunity for anyone willing to work hard and dedicated.

By NAKITENDE R

Mar 4, 2020

This course gave me an insight into the approach i may apply according to the different situations and the different learners i may encounter.It also gave me background knowledge about language instruction which i have incorporated into my teaching philosophy.Thanks to my instructors who strive to make me understand at every level of my learning.

Nakitende Rovina

By Hector S

May 22, 2021

This course is great in case you want to build or refresh your understanding of English language teaching methodology. It offers a detailed and easy-to-grasp description of the most influential approaches to language teaching and also makes a connection to real classroom activities. I highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to become a better English teacher.

By Marilia L S

Mar 20, 2016

I really, really enjoyed this course. As a beginner in the teaching career, it was really mind opening, I've already applied some of the things learned in my classes. The teachers are amazing, and made me really want to have classes with them personally. I've just started the next course, and probably will do all the ones available. Thank you, very very much!

By Mariia T

Sep 7, 2019

Thanks a lot to our professors for the material they have prepared in this course. I enjoyed it a lot, especially Dr. Shane’s videos in which he tried to show different approaches (my favorite ones are the Audio Lingual approach and the Affective-Humanistic approach). All of them are true-to-life and funny which makes learning easier and motivational for us.

By Atiqa F

Jun 25, 2020

I am so glad to finish this amazing and informative course on Teach English Now! It gives me a vast knowledge of different approaches and theories that will help me to teach the second language acquisition.Now I am confident enough to share my knowledge about theories of Second Language Acquisition . Thank you, Coursera to provide us such a great platform.