Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

MG
Sep 5, 2018

This was an entertaining way to learn the theories. Theories can be very dry and through the videos, I had a good visual of the different considerations when designing language learning experiences.

251 - 275 of 1,366 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Anthony B

Oct 3, 2019

This course specialisation helps me to revisit the theories concerning teaching and learning a language, which are useful to face the demand brought by the 21st century.

By Altaf M

Apr 16, 2020

Very detailed mater related course with peer assignments and quizzes.It really fanatic to join it.I have learned a great deal of skills while studying these approaches.

By Verônica B B

Oct 31, 2016

This is a great course to learn more about teaching English, all the different approaches and techniques. It's really worth and fun! Dr. Shane is an amazing professor!

By Yani

Jul 20, 2016

I can really see how the professors try really hard to make this more engaging as they do not dwell on boring discussions. I also appreciate how enthusiastic they are.

By Ameer A

Jun 22, 2016

wonderful course that gave me a very strong historical background about methods of teaching. I would like to retake it again in this is available in the future.

Ameer

By Craig W S

Mar 7, 2016

Great Course. I learned a lot and enjoyed it. Excellent presentations. Dr. Shane has a neat talent that came through in the history vignettes and devil/angel debates.

By Erin J M

Jan 12, 2019

This is a very fun course that teachers you the various approaches to how people teach English, and demands introspection about why you plan to teach Engish as well.

By Jose A G R

Nov 7, 2017

As with the first course, I learned a great deal of things. The Doctor is so enthusiastic, Miss Cinco is so clear and gorgeous and the videos and graffics so good...

By Wu B

Feb 12, 2017

This is a great course which help me know and comprehend all the historical approach. I like the un- stressful and interesting way which teachers used in the course.

By Diana L

Nov 26, 2020

Kudos the people behind this course for presenting usually "boring" theories in a way that is very engaging, fun, and bite-sized information! I truly learned a lot.

By Ibrahima D

Jan 9, 2020

Great course for anybody wishing to have a clearer understanding of methods in language learning. I was impressed by the level of mastery of teachers in this class.

By Déborah V

Dec 5, 2019

Very interesting course, to understand the different approaches to the teaching of a language. It has been very funny and instructive. Thank you very much for it.

By Glenda H

Nov 5, 2019

This course serviced as both a reminder/refresher course of what I already knew yet may not have been practicing. I thoroughly benefited and enjoyed this course.

By Safaa E M A

Jul 12, 2018

it is really an awesome course. enough to mention how delicious dr. shane present it. alot of thanks to dr shane ,all are standing behind the camera and coursera.

By Paola J B

Jun 20, 2017

I really enjoyed this course because I learned that there are lots of approaches and as teachers we have not only to know them but also take the best of each one.

By Olga K

I would like to thank The University of Arizona and Coursera for this opportunity to get educated at home with much fun and use! Dr Shane Dixon is such a star!!!

By Rafael S

Mar 11, 2020

You guys are the most entertaining teachers I have ever seem. The course makes me laugh and smile all the time. The content is top notch! I absolutely adore it.

By Katie r

Nov 11, 2019

This course has made me think a lot more about what a learning situation is and how to nt only guild students to see it, but use it in my own language learning.

By Polina v R

Jun 21, 2020

It was interesting to learn different approaches and their history. I found the information was really useful and could be applied to my classes in the future.

By Renson I V S

Mar 4, 2016

There is no words to describe how useful, acurrate and helpful is this course! Thanks a lot for this chance to improve our teaching skills and ESL perception.

By MOHMAD F T

Jun 4, 2020

This course has been very helpful for me because I have learned many things from this course. And it was a wonderful journey with Dr. Dixon and Dr. Jessica.

By Ankita J

Sep 24, 2018

This course enlightens us about the different approaches to teach English, It explains the methodologies used in the earlier centuries. It is really helpful.

By Michele F

Dec 17, 2017

This is another great course in the TESOL sequence at ASU. This is one of the better online classes I've taken - the instructors really keep it interesting.

By Kaosu N

Jul 29, 2020

Very clear and straightforward! Really nice to learn about the history of language teaching and take that into account when thinking about my own teaching.

By Nur I A

Dec 3, 2019

the way the lecturer teach us is so nice and adding notes below the video is useful for those who haven't can understand speech if it is fast and thank you