Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

JR

Mar 07, 2019

This course was eye-opening. I learned so many great techniques that I can immediately incorporate into my daily life. Thank you so much to the creators of this course for such invaluable information.

BA

Nov 06, 2016

Amazing course, I learned a lot of new techniques for self motivation, and effecient learning. Now, I feel more confident to take further steps in improving and developing myself. Thank you so much :)

26 - 50 of 13,309 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Harry L

Mar 01, 2018

Incredibly dated I couldn't stay engaged

By Lian L

Jan 27, 2017

Dear Professors/Instructors/TAs/moderators/coders:

It is very good for you to start your work in a very early time! BUT it is so rude to send emails/notifications/greetings/reminders to me in a very early/late time (e.g., 7AM, 10PM). During that moment, I was waked up frequently by your emails which do NOT include a big deal.

By sara h

May 04, 2018

I took the course....and while I found it interesting it- I started to get emails from them every Friday since I've taken it. The most recent email included information about an "important article" by racist white supremacist Adam Perkins. They also called his book 'the welfare trait' - 'interesting'..... A simple browse through his twitter will show you what kind of garbage this man believes. After receiving this email- I can't trust the advise that these people give. Don't support this course.

By Jelle d P

Jan 26, 2018

I had to do this course mandatory, unfortunatly I found the examples used for brain activety etc ´raping neuroscience´ (Given I have a background in this field) . I understand that these methods work to let other people understand these 'octopus' brain stuff.

I only had to take a look at the summary videos and could do all the 'exams' without any problems.

I had some chuckles with some of the wrong answers, but that is about all the positive feedback I can give. It also brings some joy that I can see that you really enjoy what you are doing.

Sincerely,

Jelle de Poel

By Zélia M L B L

Nov 23, 2015

First MOOC that I can accomplish, even in my busiest days, because I'm motivated to learn the lessons taught in it and I like the teacher and class format (small videos and always repeating concepts).

By Greeshma

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

By Ferry V

Oct 13, 2016

Videos aren't of good quality and the tools aren't concrete enough to be useful. There is not enough material. I hope they will improve it because the subject is interesting.

By Samia K

Oct 22, 2016

its boring

By Nirmal S

Oct 18, 2015

Practical tips are few, and neuroscience is not the title of the course, but is widely discussed. The title implies "Tools for learning" but I didn't get anything useful out of this course.

By Thierry D

Jul 23, 2016

nul de chez nul

By Patrick M

Aug 20, 2017

this course states tons of info that is obvious. I mean tons. at one point the instructor says if there is a class review before a test it would be a good idea to attend. At another point her colleague says you can get a lot of intellectual stimulation by having smart peers to talk to. They also say your brain will work better if you exercise and get a good night's sleep. Are you serious? This is your advice? Could this be any more obvious? The course is filled with obvious statements like this making it much longer than it needs to be. Seriously, it could be cut in half if not by two thirds. They also tell you the names of different chemicals in your brain. How this helps you learn better I don't know. There are a few good pieces of advice here and there. It's a shame you have to listen to so many lectures to hear them. They could have cut out the obvious stuff and got to the point much quicker.

By Wesley S

Sep 26, 2016

Filled with redundant balderdash and extremely dumbed-down and slow-paced. Offends the learner.

By Nicholas D

Nov 21, 2015

This course tells you to use a timer while studying without the TV on and to avoid procrastination. It also stresses review while learning. This isn't anything new. The course discusses diffuse and focused modes. Diffuse modes are described as being as important as focused modes. Running, day dreaming and sleep can help enter diffuse modes and integrate focused learning. Save you time and skip this course.

By kevin b

Sep 29, 2016

I

By Marwan S

May 21, 2017

not very useful

By Matt M

Apr 20, 2017

To be honest, there are no techniques here that cannot be found in many other places. The only difference is that they explain the science behind the techniques, which in terms of practical application is not very useful at all.

By Victoria

May 31, 2016

boring

By Catherine A

May 29, 2017

It over simplifies everything... The only thing that is remotely difficult is reading the quiz, not because the questions are hard but because they have been written poorly.

By Rohan M

Oct 06, 2017

I am very much grateful for the video. But I find the videos very much boring. Further, the concepts were not new as well. I believe that rating and giving an honest feedback would help the community.

By Khaydukov A V

Jan 23, 2019

Очень маленькое количество знаний размазанных по большой тарелке (4 недели)! Пара техник типа "Принцип помидоро" о котором я и до этого курса знал, а всё остальное сплошная вода и истории каких то "супер" людей оторванных от реальности! Порой слушать эту тягомотину совершенно не интересно! Зря потраченные деньги и время!

By Leena

Mar 21, 2018

The reason I gave just 1 rating is nor because course is well designed or bad content. I gave simply 1 rating because inspite of very intresting course content, voice quality is very bad. Specially when Barbara speaks, I tried to listen her with higest volume but she was not speaking louder enough.So I decided to sto stop the course. I didn't even complete week 1. I LOST MY INTEREST

By Yvette D

Sep 09, 2019

its too bad course

By Eduardo T Z

Mar 22, 2019

I wish this would be taught in schools at early age and through out. Many fail because many don't have a frame of study to rely on. This is a course that has help me have a more grounded study habit that works.