Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

ZL

Nov 23, 2015

First MOOC that I can accomplish, even in my busiest days, because I'm motivated to learn the lessons taught in it and I like the teacher and class format (small videos and always repeating concepts).

MC

Oct 29, 2019

I enjoyed this course so much. I learned a lot about how I can become a better learner. This course was very interesting and useful. I have some tools that I can use to optimize my learning potential.

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By My I

Oct 03, 2015

This is an amazing class. It makes my professional life easy as well as my personal life. Everybody should take this class, and also the teachers are brilliant about all subjects that we see in class.

By Dzianis K

Jun 02, 2019

Курс к обязательному прохождению перед другими шагами в образовании. Открываешь глаза на все ошибки которые допускались ранее, открываешь для себя новые возможности в обучении и усвоении информации.

By Iurii Z

May 14, 2019

Thanks for this great course!

2 points to make it better (as per my POV): update it a bit with a new visuals (it feels like studying in the 90's with); the test Q/A's are sometimes too easy and even if you don't know the material you can easily guess (which might create an illusion of competence haha).

By 罗海波

Oct 16, 2018

事实上大多数的学习只注重学习的结果,而这门课程更加注重你学习的过程中发生了什么以及如何去优化它

By Jelle d P

Jan 26, 2018

I had to do this course mandatory, unfortunatly I found the examples used for brain activety etc ´raping neuroscience´ (Given I have a background in this field) . I understand that these methods work to let other people understand these 'octopus' brain stuff.

I only had to take a look at the summary videos and could do all the 'exams' without any problems.

I had some chuckles with some of the wrong answers, but that is about all the positive feedback I can give. It also brings some joy that I can see that you really enjoy what you are doing.

Sincerely,

Jelle de Poel

By Nicholas D

Nov 21, 2015

This course tells you to use a timer while studying without the TV on and to avoid procrastination. It also stresses review while learning. This isn't anything new. The course discusses diffuse and focused modes. Diffuse modes are described as being as important as focused modes. Running, day dreaming and sleep can help enter diffuse modes and integrate focused learning. Save you time and skip this course.

By Lian L

Jan 27, 2017

Dear Professors/Instructors/TAs/moderators/coders:

It is very good for you to start your work in a very early time! BUT it is so rude to send emails/notifications/greetings/reminders to me in a very early/late time (e.g., 7AM, 10PM). During that moment, I was waked up frequently by your emails which do NOT include a big deal.

By Khaydukov A V

Jan 23, 2019

Очень маленькое количество знаний размазанных по большой тарелке (4 недели)! Пара техник типа "Принцип помидоро" о котором я и до этого курса знал, а всё остальное сплошная вода и истории каких то "супер" людей оторванных от реальности! Порой слушать эту тягомотину совершенно не интересно! Зря потраченные деньги и время!

By Matt M

Apr 20, 2017

To be honest, there are no techniques here that cannot be found in many other places. The only difference is that they explain the science behind the techniques, which in terms of practical application is not very useful at all.

By Ferry V

Oct 13, 2016

Videos aren't of good quality and the tools aren't concrete enough to be useful. There is not enough material. I hope they will improve it because the subject is interesting.

By Harry L

Mar 01, 2018

Incredibly dated I couldn't stay engaged

By Samia K

Dec 26, 2017

fine

By Robert B

Mar 14, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

By Jared R

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

By Greeshma

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

By Leena

Mar 21, 2018

The reason I gave just 1 rating is nor because course is well designed or bad content. I gave simply 1 rating because inspite of very intresting course content, voice quality is very bad. Specially when Barbara speaks, I tried to listen her with higest volume but she was not speaking louder enough.So I decided to sto stop the course. I didn't even complete week 1. I LOST MY INTEREST

By Rohan M

Oct 06, 2017

I am very much grateful for the video. But I find the videos very much boring. Further, the concepts were not new as well. I believe that rating and giving an honest feedback would help the community.

By Nirmal S

Oct 18, 2015

Practical tips are few, and neuroscience is not the title of the course, but is widely discussed. The title implies "Tools for learning" but I didn't get anything useful out of this course.

By Catherine A

May 29, 2017

It over simplifies everything... The only thing that is remotely difficult is reading the quiz, not because the questions are hard but because they have been written poorly.

By Liliana S R M

Feb 01, 2016

This course did not motivate me at all. Videos where mainly repetitive and the questions seemed to be there to serve no purpose.

By mohamad w a