Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

GA

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

OM

Apr 29, 2016

Great course. Took it since it was the most popular MOOC on coursera,. Have started using a few of the techniques and they are very effective. Highly recommended no matter who you are and what you do.

226 - 250 of 12,913 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Juan C H V

Jan 15, 2019

Debo decir que es un excelente curso, con dos excelentes profesores.

By Eugene C

Jan 15, 2019

Fun class; thanks for the info :-)

By Lin J

很赞,改变了自己对学习的很多看法,能够让自己更好地,更有效率地安排时间和进行学习。

By RAJ W

Jan 14, 2019

Of of the best courses that i did. Both the instructors are amazing. Thank you so much.

By Ibrahim B

Amazing and to useful

Thanks

By Swamy S

Jan 14, 2019

Great course, with lots of useful tips.

By Charles C

Jan 14, 2019

I have learnt a lot of great ideas from this course.Thank two professors and many great people for great job.

By Zach H

Jan 14, 2019

This course does something that I think every education system should use as a hard foundation to their teaching philosophy, it teaches people how to learn effectively and efficiently. It is incredibly frustrating that in my 18+ years as a student through primary education and on to graduate levels, I was never meaningfully taught how to study for myself but this course has done an outstanding job of doing just that. This should be required learning for every education system.

By Szymon O

Jan 14, 2019

Great for people who want learn and work faster and easier :)

By Weiyong X

Jan 14, 2019

This course is very helpful. I should really start applying these techniques to my own learning!

By Mohamed S M A H

Jan 14, 2019

I like it too much it is very helpful material ....thank you

By MUHAMMAD A

Jan 15, 2019

An excellent course . Techniques are very useful which include in course.

By Rudy B

Dec 31, 2018

According to me this is one of the best MOOCs on Coursera! I highly recommend it as first MOOC. It is very helpful for you student life, your professional life, and your personal development.

By khallaf e h

Dec 31, 2018

these videos are really useful and free education for all . i really learned a lot .

By Alexander N

Jan 02, 2019

Lots of new insights about learning, very useful.

By Elsayed D E M

Very Useful and fantastic course

By Sonja L

Jan 02, 2019

As a chronic procrastinator, I usually get work done in the most stressful way possible because I've never found the motivation to get past all the excuses I make for not starting earlier, even after researching so many study techniques and hacks. This course has been amazing in explaining the reasons that commonly praised techniques work in terms of how our brain actually functions. For example, I have heard that revising at longer intervals will help you remember more information. In contrast, Barbara Oakley explains that spaced repetition will consolidate information from your short-term memory into your long-term memory, as the information won't be considered unimportant and erased from your neural networks. Knowing why these techniques work really motivates me to actually use them.I learnt so many new approaches to studying and life in general in LHTL. I highly recommend it as a way to boost productivity, minimise stress and feel better about the process of studying as something to look forward to, now that there's a framework behind it!

By Anees S

Dec 31, 2018

One of the best course ever I have learnt in my life.

By János H

Dec 30, 2018

This course taught me essential skills for learning. I recommend it to everyone, especially if you are young, starting a university and no one ever told you how to learn effectively.

By Olena O

Jan 01, 2019

helped me a lot!

By Brittany V

Dec 31, 2018

I recommend this course without reservation to everyone I meet. It has been one of the most transformative courses of my life. I'm a terrible procrastinator, and I've never yet had any of those self-help tips, books, apps, etc that worked. This course is the one thing that has me going steadily along the right track. Understanding the learning process is key to taking full advantage of it.

By BorgCat

Jan 02, 2019

Highly recommended if you are interested in becoming a better learner. Especially useful for students. tons of useful optional material as well.

By Itamar A T

Jan 02, 2019

Excellent material and the optional interviews should not be optional.

Thanks Dr. Barbara and Dr.Terrence for such enlightening material.

By Alexander N

Jan 02, 2019

One of the best self-development courses I have ever taken