Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

EA

Apr 29, 2017

This was a great course! I learned a number of different techniques and strategies for learning more effectively that I can't wait to implement in my studies. I highly recommend Learning How to Learn.

ZL

Nov 23, 2015

First MOOC that I can accomplish, even in my busiest days, because I'm motivated to learn the lessons taught in it and I like the teacher and class format (small videos and always repeating concepts).

51 - 75 of 13,299 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Arnav R

Mar 22, 2019

Really refreshing and simple course that being said , it's a must have skill as simplicity is very hard to acquire nowadays!

By Eduardo T Z

Mar 22, 2019

I wish this would be taught in schools at early age and through out. Many fail because many don't have a frame of study to rely on. This is a course that has help me have a more grounded study habit that works.

By Eiad H A S

Feb 10, 2019

it's very good and beneficial MOOC thanks a lot

By tio w

Jan 19, 2019

As someone who has taken "the science of everyday thinking" on EDX, I thought there'd be no online courses that are as insightful, transformative, and broadly applicable in life as it is until I discovered "Learning how to learn" on Coursera. Although both share some similar advice and tips, LHTL has a much more in-depth look at human brains' way of absorbing and processing information from a neuroscientific point of view. Not to mention that both instructors are highly respected and excellent at presenting knowledge throughout the whole course. I genuinely hope that this course can reach more and more people trying to lead a more productive and meaningful life.

By Brocton R

Apr 11, 2019

Anyone interested in improving their ability to learn should take this course.

It stands alone as the single best resource available.

By Hongmei L

Mar 24, 2019

I decided to take several online courses to help advance my career, and all of them are new subjects to me. When I was at school, I had no problem passing all the tests needed, but I don't feel I retained the knowledge as well as some of my classmates did after the semester (and all the tests) was (were) over. Nowadays in real life, there are projects to be completed and I kept on procrastinating to the last minute. It's rather stressful to handle work responsibilities this way. I am grateful that this course provides many practical techniques that I can utilize in my daily work and my self-learning plans, from how to avoid procrastination, how to retain more from what is learned, to how to make weekly/daily learning plans. Highly recommended to anyone who is serious about learning and is looking for strategies to learn effectively.

By Suzan H

Mar 25, 2019

We love learning how to learn

By Andre J

Apr 27, 2019

All the information in this course is VERY USEFUL. As a student and a teacher, I've learned a lot and have changed my way of learning and teaching. Thank you!

By Claudio M F L

May 24, 2019

A simple but very good course. It really provides helpful and powerful tools for learning.

By Артимёнок П

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks for the valuable advice.

By Maria A

Aug 04, 2019

Thank you for a very helpful and meaningful course. I shall use the knowledge that I have learned here during my future studies! My boyfriend and I did this course together and he found it very helpful too :p

Yes, I am the boyfriend. It is true! :P

By John L

Apr 29, 2019

Interesting - and fun. You can't leave it without feeling your understanding of learning has changed for the better.

By Jared R

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

By Jacques K

Jul 05, 2019

Exceptional course. I work on personal development now for 13 years, have for example read from scott h young a decade ago - and now he is interviewed here and mentioned. Great to see one of my "teachers" featured here.

I have a bachelors and masters degree, recently got some more hard certifications (AWS cloud architect and developer) and needed a way to even learn more and more efficiently in the future both for work / career and personal life.

iI want to learn davinci resolve video cutting, improve in photography, photoshop. lightroom.

As mentioned, i have been working towards personal dvelopment for 13 years, read though about 50 books and 1000 pages of blog posts, but never retained much info - now i have the tools to retain that info, test myself on it, and use spaced repetition to retain it for a decade. Discuss it with my wife to even more deepen the knowledge. Use pomodoro and other techniques to really do my courses 100 percent and not loose interest after 10%.

Thanks Barbara and Terence for this great course which is a lifechanger for me even after i already gained so much knowledge in my past 38 years on this earth.

This course should be mandatory in every school education all of the world as it explains the PROCESS of learning and not just focused on the PRODUCT. I wish, i knew about this course when i was 15 or even 20 years only (now that i am 38).

By My I

Oct 03, 2015

This is an amazing class. It makes my professional life easy as well as my personal life. Everybody should take this class, and also the teachers are brilliant about all subjects that we see in class.

By Xhely

Sep 02, 2019

I really loved this course. It wasn't love at first sight, of course, and the first date didn't catch me at all. But as I progressed, I became more and more interested, until I finally loved him.

It is a course that I recommend for people of all ages, as we are constantly learning throughout life. But I recommend it above all to parents, as this way they can guide their children much better in the learning process.

I would have loved to know this material long before, but it's never too late :) I learned a lot,

Thank you!

By Robert B

Mar 14, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

By Vsevolod K

Jan 16, 2019

Powerful mental tools!

By Gaurav A

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

By Wesley J P

Jan 28, 2019

This course provided helpful practical guidance and implementation of effective learning techniques.

By Caela C

Jan 28, 2019

Who knew learning could be fun?! I have been out of school for 20 years now and this was a great course to take to ease myself back in.

By N V L

Jan 29, 2019

Excellent course

By CarlosMogrovejo

Jan 28, 2019

A stellar course, I have no regrets taking it and I am very happy with what I learned!

By Andrew W

Jan 29, 2019

Great course and, as a teacher, has given me scientific basis for the teaching methods we use in class.

By Kim P

Jan 27, 2019

I am a high school teacher, and I learned so much more than I thought I would. Thank you.