Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects, McMaster University

About this Course

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

By OM

Apr 29, 2016

Great course. Took it since it was the most popular MOOC on coursera,. Have started using a few of the techniques and they are very effective. Highly recommended no matter who you are and what you do.

By VM

Jun 29, 2017

I don't write reviews very much so i will be brief.Taking out time for this course will be the best investment in your life. Wonderful ,helpful , Useful , Insightful , it's full of everything desired.

10,958 Reviews

By meera kanakamma mohan

Nov 17, 2018

My Fav course ever did!!!!

By Najib BOUHOUT

Nov 16, 2018

C'est un cours à suivre impérativement. Vous en apprendrez tant de choses qui vous seront utiles dans votre vie scolaire et professionnel. J'ai appris tout un tas de techniques, stratégies, connaissances que je n'ai pas appris pendant des années du bas et viens à l'école. Un Grand merci à aux profs et l'équipe de coursera.

By ALEJANDRO HERNANDEZ

Great course

By Julia Miasoiedova

Nov 16, 2018

the best course ever!! thank you!!

By Efrat

Nov 16, 2018

Fascinating, useful, actionable. Thank you!!

By Kingsley Gyimah A.

Nov 16, 2018

After completing this course, the enlightenment has not only enhanced my learning of courses, concepts and ideas but also given me valuable tools to be more productive in my personal life: Tackling other topics like procrastination, handling fear, being confident, looking to broaden your passions rather than limiting yourself to things that you are "naturally good at", and more has greatly improved my life!

There should be no hesitation towards taking this course, even if you have a way of going about your learning, there's always a perspective you are missing out on (Einstellung) !

Regards!

By Catherine Francis

Nov 16, 2018

I enjoyed the videos and material. They were to the point and practised what they preached by using metaphors and analogies like zombies and octopuses. The retrieval practises also helped me retain the material better. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the context in which the course was in. There was a focus on test-taking in week 4 which was not relevant to me as i am a working adult. However, I could see how some of the tips would be useful in my work. Good job, guys! Very useful and I appreciate it.

By Jasmin Ward

Nov 15, 2018

A truly outstanding course! I wish I knew all about all these techniques when I was at school and university, let alone having such supportive and knowledgable teachers! I look forward to receiving Barbra's email every Friday, they are jam packed full of useful resources. Highly recommend this course.

By Gredigui

Nov 14, 2018

Even If I knew some points it really helps me to to tackle my procrastination's issues

By Marta Lacadena Pérez

Nov 14, 2018

Very helpful, specially regarding strategies to tackle procrastination.