Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects, McMaster University

About this Course

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

By RS

Sep 07, 2015

I am a more effective learner as a result of this course. It has also, surprisingly, increased my enjoyment while learning. Thanks to Barbara and Terry for a well presented and informative production.

By MI

Oct 03, 2015

This is an amazing class. It makes my professional life easy as well as my personal life. Everybody should take this class, and also the teachers are brilliant about all subjects that we see in class.

11,260 Reviews

By Himanshu Sharma

Jan 18, 2019

This is the first course you should do from Coursera and probably before you start your college education. Gets you prepped up for the long run.

By Alex Israel Martínez Carrete

Jan 18, 2019

Love you guys! Thank you for everything. It has been a pleasure!

By

Jan 18, 2019

I'm French and this is an outstanding course. I really enjoyed the passion with which the professors teach. It was very enjoyable and very instructive. Thank you for making it free. I wouldn't have been able to afford it if it wasn't.

By Luyen Duong Thi

Jan 18, 2019

Helpful and Great course! Thank Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski so much!

By LOU CHENG

Jan 18, 2019

I have learnt effectively methods to learn!

By mehran shahidi

Jan 18, 2019

This course causes me to change my whole thinking about myself and possibilities that i can reach in my life.

This course teach, you can learn everything you want so you can be everything you want to be.

By Natalia Railean

Jan 18, 2019

I was profoundly impressed by this course presented by these two amazing and interesting individuals who spent their time and energy on helping others to improve their learning skills! Barbara Oakley is a masterful story teller, - so engaging! Her kindness and good nature shine through in her narrative. Thank you so much!

By Honeya Ordoubadi

Jan 17, 2019

One of the most important courses I've ever taken... and I've already recommended this to nearly a dozen people.

I strongly feel this should be a mandatory prerequisite at every stage of formalized education (middle-school, high school, college, grad school, etc...)

By Catalina Saenz Botero

The Best Course and the best and wisest teacher

By Colin Barnaby

Jan 17, 2019

Truly informative and transformative! Thank you.