Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

76 - 100 of 942 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Dwarkanath P

Feb 25, 2016

Absolutely loved the course! Watched every lecture. Professor Barry Nalebuff is a great teacher. His enthusiasm towards the subject matter is noteworthy. Didn't feel like a 11 hours course at all. Maybe because I played it on 1.5x ;).

The course helped me understand a great deal of theory on negotiation. I compared the course content to my experience in negotiations and found the mistakes I was making. I'll try to correct those in future negotiations.

I'd recommend the course to everyone!

By Sandeep V

Jul 04, 2020

One of the best course on Negotiation strategies. Though this being my very 1st course, the course content was well covered & all the concepts were explained in detail with animations and diagrams where ever necessary.That helped in easy explanation & understanding of even some difficult content. The case studies were excellent in the way they were carried out with anonymous peers. We had exchanged ideas & helped provide inputs which made the course even more interacting & interesting.

By sulafah b

Aug 19, 2017

I love this course. the professor is amazing. the material is really simple and easy to understand although some cases took me lon time to comprehend all the details but as what is says" if it dose not challenge you, it wont change you" . this course gave me the confidence to engage in negotiation and how to argue and what to do when its get tough. I strongly recommend this course for those who looking to learn the basic and principles on how to make the best out come of any deal.

By Adam Ł

Mar 31, 2017

[Going through Week 8 now] Mr Nalebuff is a great teacher, he introduces advanced concepts basing on the most understandable day-to-day examples. The course material covers a wide range of topics, but every single one of them is taught thoroughly and professionally.

Great cases to get some hands-on experience with negotiation.

Beautiful animations by Mr Dan Ashwood, hats off for you sir.

I am definitely going to recommend the course to some of my friends keen on the matter.

Thank you!

By Shane I E

Oct 08, 2019

Outstanding course that Barry and his team have put together. You will be hard-pressed to find a more fun and engaging learning program. The content is interesting and challenging. The exercises are fun, testing and really help solidify concepts and practices, as well as introducing you to some remarkable individuals around the world. I ended up negotiating with a magistrate in Ghana and a lawyer in Poland. Highly recommend this course to novice and experienced negotiators alike.

By Sebastian S

Dec 02, 2019

Have you ever heard the saying, "there are things you know you don't know. And there are things you don't know that you don't know." This course had so much material that I would have never pursued to learn because I never knew it was a thing. I think everyone in life needs to take this course. It is applicable to the day to day life we all live. Thank you so much Professor for taking the time to put this together. I wish there was a part 2 after this introduction class.

By Colin P

Aug 07, 2018

This course opened up a new way of thinking for me about negotiation and value creation, and got me thinking about applying game theory to real world applications (my mental pie is expanded!). The format is different from any other online course I've taken: you start at 60, go to 100, then cruise at 40 for the rest of the course. Finding a negotiating partner, and the coordinating the logistics, can be challenging, but is worthwhile. Persistence in this course pays offs.

By Dóra B

Very interesting, informative and well structured material by Barry Nalebuff. I was eager to learn and always pleased to take one more video every das. I also appreciated that the mastery quiz was hard enough to test knowledge, yet possible to pass, leaving a "successful taste in mouth". As working on the IT field, it was good to learn about negotiation. Something that is not specially determined by rules, so it taught me to think out of the box. Excellent course! :)

By Gary K

Fantastic course and really mind opening. Starts off numbers heavy which in the end provides logical reasoning behind negotiations and takes us away from the go to negotiation practice of proportional division. Good quality video and content and it's enjoyable and a great learning curve to have both online face to face and email negotiations with other students around the world. I am already putting lessons into practice and had some great results.

By Marco E L

Apr 08, 2020

This course was really excellent, one of the best I took on this platform. The lessons are clear and rich in interesting notions, short stories help put the concepts into reality and make them more clear. The professor a great talker and following the lessons was easy and pleasant. Little math involved and a lot of arguments more than rhetoric devices. Also, the exercises are useful because they show different possible frames for a negotiation

By Tamar A

Mar 31, 2018

Great course with a great professor! Although some of the material requires reasonable math skills, overall all the material was easy to understand and the cases and examples made the theory uncomplicated and memorable. The knowledge and skills acquired during this course made me a lot more confident while dealing with any type of negotiation - I express my gratitude for Mr. Nalebuff for the terrific work he does done by teaching this course.

By Kunal S

Jun 02, 2020

one of the best courses available. The delivery is flawless. You are going to learn a lot of new thing the develop a great arsenal of practical tools that will come in very handy while facing a negotiation situation. Loved the cases, and can imagine the amount of thought process that must have behind making the cases so alive. You literally breathe the assigned roles and if your are honest during role plays, you would learn a lot.

By Jose G P L

Apr 23, 2020

Grandioso, Yale demuestra que es una universidad top a nivel mundial. Muchas gracias a Barry Nalebuff por compartir la experiencia del MBA de Yale SOM y por compartir a expertos como Linda Babcock y Herb Cohen. Recomiendo este curso a cualquiera que desee mejorar sus habilidades gerenciales y dar un paso adelante en su carrera.

Solo por mejorar, incluir los subtitulos en español, pero aun así, me permitió practicar el inglés

By Nischal S

Jun 05, 2020

The best course I have done on Coursera till now. Highly engaging Professor with a great way of delivering content: the Professor has used graphic illustrator(s) and role players from the Yale Dramatics School to illustrate examples, rather just simply standing and speaking into the camera all the time. The Case studies and Peer-assignments were especially interesting. I'm already recommending this course to my friends!

By Sai R R M

Apr 19, 2020

This course will help anyone, even if you have no corporate experience or negotiation experience as the concept has been explained using lots of real-life examples and case studies. The case studies, in particular, were amazing as they really get your brain pumping with everything you learn to that point. Overall, this is one of the best courses out there and you should really try taking it and giving it a chance.

By Vijay R

Jul 19, 2019

Professor Barry taught very well. The best online class i attended in coursera, edx, udemy etc. Much appreciated. The peer learning is amazing if you are lucky enough to get highly skilled partners. My partners included a guy with Six Sigma Black belt, professional trainer with post grad in business who trains many professionals and a medical-business expert. You learn a lot and this was a spectacular experience!

By Christina S

Apr 18, 2017

GREAT COURSE. Barry is an excellent teacher - his videos are effective, the practice quizzes really drive home the concepts, and the in-person practice negotiations were both fun and informative. All of the guest teachers provided great perspective and insight on the world of negotiating. I feel like I got a well rounded introduction to negotiation, and I'm confident enough to apply the principles in real life!

By Prajesh P

This course has given me considerable knowledge to mathematically approach any negotiation. The negotiation exercises specifically gave me an insight on how emotional/human my approach to a negotiation was, and I hope I will be able to approach all future negotiations with these points in my mind. The concept of the "Pie" is something that I feel will be very helpful in making any future decisions/negotiations

By Renee O

Jul 15, 2020

The BEST course I've taken in a long time, it's challenging and it drives you to learn. I love it because it's not a 'plug and chug course', you can't simply memorize the details to regurgitate it. If you love learning and love a challenge this is for you. If you need to understand negotiations and how to make it fair for business whether domestically in the US or Globally like me then take this course.

By Garrett C

Apr 01, 2017

I've completed 13 courses on Coursera. Far and away, this is the best class! Barry Nalebuff is a terrific lecturer and teacher. The course is well assembled (professionally animated in some sections!), interactive (case studies worked on with classmates), and features outside experts. The ROI from this course is off the charts! Take it - your career, and even personal life, will greatly benefit from it.

By Bradley W H L

Jun 03, 2020

This is a fantastic course compared to few other courses I had taken from online learning. The first 3 weeks of this course seem like the reasoning doesn't make sense to me and I almost gave up this course. Luckily I didn't. From 4th week onward, it start to make sense and logic. I believe this course makes me a better negotiator and it gave me a wider scope in viewing about things in my everyday life.

By Meera D S

Apr 20, 2020

This is an amazing course but let me give you a heads up, the course is going to be tough but it will leave you thinking and will enhance your creativity when solving problems. What I loved about this course is the ability to negotiate using logic and not the norm of lying about better offers and etc. Kudos to Barry because this is one of the most enjoyable courses I've taken in Cousera.

By Harpreet S

Apr 15, 2020

Well articulated course which you can learn at your own pace. Professor Barry was outstanding in terms of his delivery and engagement. After this course you would definitely see things differently which will benefit you in real life both professionally and peronally. Kudos to Yale university and coursera technical team to make this course very interactive.

Keeping on increasing the pie.

By Elanda S

Jun 07, 2020

One word: Excellent. I've not expected this level of engagement and interaction, nor the sense of empowerment after completing the course. Prof Barry and all those involved- you did an amazing job of not only bringing alive the subject matter, but doing justice to teaching good and fair principles applicable to all of life. ...and everything in life is a negotiation ;) Well done ALL!

By Shah S K

Jun 29, 2020

It is worth going for the course. It helped me to learn a lot on how and what to prepare before negotiation, to fix our Batna, to determine reserve price, sharing the pie and dealing with the tough situation during the negotiation. Also one of the best part was to make negotiation partner through the discussion forum. It was really useful to learn different perspective and cultures.