Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

101 - 125 of 961 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Tania M

I loved this course, it was really interesting, there were bunch of examples to improve our understanding and there were amazing activities, i really felt sorry when the professor finished, it's the course that I've enjoyed the most so far, so I just gotta say thank you! It was amazing! I highly recommend it to the people who really want to learn, it's quite long but it's worth it!

By Kadir D

Apr 17, 2020

Very well designed course. At first, I was biased that this would be one of the courses I will leave without completing. But from the first minute up until the end this course kept me alive. I suggest you take the cases and assignments seriously, you will be amazed how your negotiation skills will improved. At worst, you will understand what you were doing good/bad until now.

By Lucia A H

Apr 16, 2020

I took this online course in my first year of bachelor (although it's a master level course) and had a fun time following it and Dr. Nalebuff. The videos were very interesting and well done, and the concepts were taught in a way which made them easy to grasp. The course is also interactive and allows one to challenge their knowledge and skills. A highly recommendable course!!

By Gracia N

May 13, 2020

I think it's a very interesting course that expands your negotiating skills. It includes many practical examples that are very useful for understanding the concepts. The case studies allow you to conduct negotiations by applying the lessons learned. It implies a lot of dedication, more than the hours that the course tells you to invest to do it correctly, but it is worth it.

By Philip O

Oct 12, 2019

An excellent investment of time and effort to gain both powerful and useful insights which help polish existing negotiation skills or enable new approaches that can be used in any negotiation. Don't hesitate to take this course as it will yield great returns on your time and effort invested in taking it. So, enjoy the learning and strike better deals as a result. Good luck!

By John S W

Feb 19, 2020

Some of the material in the beginning of the course is not very clear and some of the exercises need to be updated to match the accompanying documentation. This course also requires partnering up with a class-mate which can be challenging. However, over all, the instructor does a great job of providing many insights and tools that can be of use in real world negotiations.

By Suee C

Apr 22, 2020

This is the best course I've done so far. I strongly recommend the course for who needs basic knowledge for the successful negotiation. Whole supplementary videos were interestingly introduced. And additional practices with other online course attendees from all over the world were special gifts to learn. I am looking forward Prof. Nalebuff's upcoming lecture. Thank you

By Edward H C F

Jul 23, 2018

So far, the best course I have taken in Coursea. Full of practical and interesting presentation, I am still enjoying the learning experience that covers the difficult theory in so much fun, clear and concise explanation.

Despite the difficulty for finding a partner in Asia to complete the course negotiation exercise, this is the best learning experience I have ever had.

By Darryl B

May 08, 2016

This is without question one of the best course I have taken online or in a classroom as an undergraduate or in graduate school. The professor is smart, witty and has a great presentation style. As this is my first course on Coursera, I am so happy that I found it. My goodness, how much more money and opportunities I would have had if I had this course 10 years ago.

By Al A

Feb 09, 2020

I've been negotiating in my professional role for 14 years and still had a lot to learn from Barry's course. His application of economics principles to real life negotiation was enlightening. The production of the course is the best I've seen on Coursera, and the delivery style was very engaging from the start. Would love to attend one of his classes in person!

By Onam W

Jul 09, 2020

I loved this course. The concepts and theories were very well explained. I loved doing live negotiations, Being right in the moment negotiating definitely helped me in putting the theories in practical use. I also discovered a lot of new things about myself, one being how much I enjoy negotiating. I would like to thank Mr. Barry for being an excellent teacher.

By Rizki C R

Jun 03, 2020

It was a very useful course to everyone especially for profesional, was short but very comprehensive. The course has a lot of new information that I haven't knew before. So many things that I didn't know about the principled of negotiation but I have done lots of negotiation for years. This course definitely can help me with my work and also in life. Thank you!

By Denitsa S

Engaging, interactive and thural course that will give you not only the basic principles of negotiation, but a case-studies experiance where you can put thepry into practise. I woul recommend this course to all my friends as I am sure the structure, execusion and implied ideas are on a high level and will further develop you as e professional and as a person.

By Neerav G S

Nov 09, 2019

Excellent course! Very well made videos able to retain attention, Special Thanks to Professor Nalebuff for teaching me so much about the nit and grit of negotiations in a very interesting manner. The practical negotiation experiences help tremendously, I appreciate the efforts of the entire team to help prepare this course. Thank you.

Neerav Shah, India

By Bhupinder S

Sep 19, 2016

This course is a great resource of negotiation skills for me (some one new to Strategic / Managerial Skills). I cleared this course with good score and purchased the certificate for this course as well and this to my professional skills.

I would recommend this course to someone who is looking to grow negotiation / strategic and or managerial skills.

By Kay N

Sep 10, 2019

Unlike many other negotiation courses which only focus on the importance of eloquence and gesture to affect people's decision making process, this course introduces a better approach to negotiation through very specific and persuasive principles. An excellent course which has helped change my perspective on negotiation. Thank you very much Barry.

By Joseph N S

Jan 06, 2018

This course is really well thought out, and the professor takes a logical--and fun--approach from explaining the concept of the pie, all the way to more advanced topics. Additionally, the real-world experiences and engaging videos helped me absorb the information more quickly and relate it back to my own past and, hopefully future, negotiations!

By Joey B

Nov 05, 2015

The good: introduction of some deep concepts that I haven't seen yet, in a clear format.

What could be better: I would have preferred the course to focus more on the technical aspects, and there were quite large sections that I thought didn't add much to the information content.

Thankfully there was enough good for it to get a high rating overall.

By Mark C

May 09, 2020

Excellent course - Barry does an incredible job of breaking down the complex art of negotiation into practical chunks that can easily be applied to real word situations.

Examples, illustrations and guest speakers are all exceptional.

Easily a 5/5 and highly recommended to anyone who deals with other people on a regular basis (namely - everyone).

By Damla Ö

Apr 26, 2020

This is definitely a perfect course. It changed my point of view enormously. Highly recommend to everyone! This is very effective, there are many case studies, many videos and readings that help you certainly to be a better negotiator in your professional life as well as in your daily life!

Thank you very much for offering such a great course!

By Prateek D

Jun 08, 2016

This course is highly recommended for anyone in the world of business, whether you are running a business, want to run one or are a corporate employee. The course is very well presented with animations and graphics and business games are included which help you learn a lot. Quite simply put this is one of the best courses I have ever taken!

By Monika S G

May 07, 2020

This course had amazing pedagogical methods of teaching all important concepts. Various activities that were to be accomplished as a part of this course were very unique too and above all the aim of this course to introduce strategic methods of negotiating was met successfully, I learnt new principles of negotiating with people. Thanks !

By Yi W G

This is a very interesting course and it has opened my eyes to the different methods and approaches for negotiation. I chose to try out the course first before deciding whether I should pay for it. Half way through I really enjoyed the contents of the course and ended up paying for the certificate to add in my LinkedIn as well as my CV.

By Olesia A

This course is one of the best on Coursera. It covers just as much to start developing oneself as a professional negotiator. All course materials - quizzes, group assignments, and lectures have been well prepared and organized. Thank you, Professor, for clear and engaging instructions. Taking this course online was a smooth experience.

By Tolga Y

Jan 27, 2020

Barry Nalebuff's "Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator" in my opinion is a masterpiece that made me think about things to this date I've never considered during negotiations. If I would have the time I'd certainly be tempted to take this course at Yale University as well.