Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

51 - 75 of 260 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Daniela T S

May 8, 2019

Thank you for a very well structured course presented in a very comprehensive way. The knowledge and skills I acquired during this course are very valuable to me as a career counselor and as a doctoral student. Thank you! :)

By Maciej K

Aug 11, 2020

For me it was the hardest one out of the first 3 courses in this specialization (I'm not a native speaker) but at the same time it was very interesting. Both Angela and Claire shared really valuable knowledge here. Thanks!

By Sathish K T

Nov 27, 2019

Good course! I thoroughly drilled me into 'research method'. Also, you really need discipline and perseverance to complete this course compared to others in this specialization. Loved the entire experience. Thank you.

By Alfonso A C S C

Aug 4, 2018

This course was awesome. Because of its statistical content is not that fun as the prior courses, but once you get thru and understand the end goal, it is so insightful and useful to understand scientific research.

By Víctor O

Jul 9, 2018

This MOOC, together with the other 4 MOOC of Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, changed my life. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless whether you are interested or not in psychology.

By Lisa M P

Apr 3, 2020

This was an exceptional course, with a lot of detailed information on experimental research models. I enjoyed reading the material and exploring my hypothesis utilizing character, grit, and research methods!

By Stephanie M S

Aug 11, 2020

This was by far my favourite course of this specialization. Angela and Claire made math and numbers enjoyable! I never thought Id hear myself say that, but it happened! it was well placed and well executed.

By Ray W

Dec 27, 2019

By Molly W

Oct 24, 2020

By Heleen W

Jun 25, 2018

Claire you did an AMAZING job having me listen and absorb all about statistics, every class again.. I had never expected I could be so attached to a statistics class. Thank you very much.

By Blase S

Jun 26, 2018

A bit of a struggle to learn the technical terms, but helpful in understanding and appreciating the scientific approach to researching various approaches to positive psychology.

By Ngabirano D

Jun 8, 2020

i am so happy that i graduated. The course has helped me understand more. Now when i learn this course in class i can easily see that i am ahead of others in understanding it

By Zuzana Č

Thank you very much!

I am very grateful for this course and great work of both ladies, professors Angela Duckworth and Claire Robertson-Craft.

I wish you all the very best!

By Alan C P

Jun 29, 2017

This is an excellent course as an introduction to reading and understanding research. As an early stages post grad student, I have benefitted enormously from this course.

By Nooruddin B M

Feb 5, 2019

An exciting introductory course for understanding research design and analysis. Highly recommended for beginners in research. Thanks Dr. Duckworth and Dr. Kraft.

By Abhishek N

This course is very well designed. It has been informative and is a valuable and essential component of the Foundations in Positive Psychology Specialisation.

By Derrik G

Sep 27, 2019

love the class. read Angela's book several times as I used resilience in my dissertation years ago and was familiar with the foundational studies. Thank you!

By Mary M

Jun 19, 2018

I thought one of the ideas behind this course in helping people find an easy way to read research articles and not be intimidated by the process was great!

By Annika W

Apr 28, 2018

Such a great course! I really like how you combined research methods and design with the theory of grit. It gave me a lot of ideas for my own research.

By Francisco O T

Nov 24, 2018

Angela Duckworth is amazing, she is an expert and example of Grit, thank you so much for your honesty and authentic search of meaning and purpose.

By Ruben D C

Sep 21, 2020

Excellent!!! I congratulate each of the people who gave their knowledge and experience in this course, they are people who have a lot of Grit !!

By Leonor C A C

Nov 18, 2019

Excelente curso. La forma en la que está organizado facilita el aprendizaje de un tema complejo como la Investigación en Psicología Positiva

By Hugo A J C

Aug 14, 2019

excelente grandes herramientas que nos ayudan a comprender mejor la manera de hacer una buena metodologia de hacer hipotesis y verificarlas

By Gregorius W

May 31, 2018

I think this course is very creative, not only it talk about grit but also to educate people on knowledge about proper scientific research.

By Dana Z

Oct 26, 2020

Excellent! Really enjoyed the planning and intent with which the professors taught and incorporated "guest speakers" along with lectures.