Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

51 - 75 of 289 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Jafed E G

Jul 6, 2019

By Dianne O

Aug 14, 2020

The course was fast-paced and rigorous. The syllabus was constructed well and the assignments stretched me. I was impressed with the number and quality of the reading materials. I was intellectually stimulated and loved every minute.

By Marcos M C

Dec 11, 2017

An intense course of much reading, but excellent. He reminded me of statistical concepts and demanded more than I thought. I learned a lot how to take the analysis of the studies and mainly the GRIT concept. More than for beginners!

By Claudia A

Mar 19, 2018

Very helpful to understand research studies and to plan our own. Grit insights by Angela Duckworth are always fantastic. The practical uses from the interviews open new windows in how all this knowledge can be used. Great course!

By Elizabeth A

Nov 23, 2018

I didn't know how very important it was to understand research deeply until I took this course. Not only does it help me understand my other courses better, it also motivates me to do some research myself. I highly recommend it!

By Daniela T S

May 8, 2019

Thank you for a very well structured course presented in a very comprehensive way. The knowledge and skills I acquired during this course are very valuable to me as a career counselor and as a doctoral student. Thank you! :)

By Maciej K

Aug 12, 2020

For me it was the hardest one out of the first 3 courses in this specialization (I'm not a native speaker) but at the same time it was very interesting. Both Angela and Claire shared really valuable knowledge here. Thanks!

By Sathish K T

Nov 28, 2019

Good course! I thoroughly drilled me into 'research method'. Also, you really need discipline and perseverance to complete this course compared to others in this specialization. Loved the entire experience. Thank you.

By Alfonso A C S C

Aug 4, 2018

This course was awesome. Because of its statistical content is not that fun as the prior courses, but once you get thru and understand the end goal, it is so insightful and useful to understand scientific research.

By Víctor O

Jul 9, 2018

This MOOC, together with the other 4 MOOC of Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, changed my life. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless whether you are interested or not in psychology.

By Lisa M P

Apr 3, 2020

This was an exceptional course, with a lot of detailed information on experimental research models. I enjoyed reading the material and exploring my hypothesis utilizing character, grit, and research methods!

By Stephanie M S

Aug 11, 2020

This was by far my favourite course of this specialization. Angela and Claire made math and numbers enjoyable! I never thought Id hear myself say that, but it happened! it was well placed and well executed.

By Paola D M C

Dec 7, 2020

Amo todos los cursos de psicología Positiva. Aprendo mucho de ellos.

Muchas gracias por su apoyo económico. Le estoy sacando mucho provecho para mi y para mis terapias.

De todo corazón mil gracias

Paola

By Ray W

Dec 27, 2019

By Molly W

Oct 24, 2020

By Heleen W

Jun 25, 2018

Claire you did an AMAZING job having me listen and absorb all about statistics, every class again.. I had never expected I could be so attached to a statistics class. Thank you very much.

By Blase S

Jun 26, 2018

A bit of a struggle to learn the technical terms, but helpful in understanding and appreciating the scientific approach to researching various approaches to positive psychology.

By Ingrid U

Jan 6, 2021

A super course if you want to gain a better understanding of research design, and the strengths and weaknesses (including validity and reliability) of research methodologies.

By Ngabirano D

Jun 8, 2020

i am so happy that i graduated. The course has helped me understand more. Now when i learn this course in class i can easily see that i am ahead of others in understanding it

By Zuzana Č

Thank you very much!

I am very grateful for this course and great work of both ladies, professors Angela Duckworth and Claire Robertson-Craft.

I wish you all the very best!

By Alan C P

Jun 29, 2017

This is an excellent course as an introduction to reading and understanding research. As an early stages post grad student, I have benefitted enormously from this course.

By Christophe T

Mar 13, 2021

Quite a hard course for me because there are a lot of stats notions. Very interesting course. Quite proud I managed to finish all the assignments the best I could.:-)

By Noorudin M

Feb 5, 2019

An exciting introductory course for understanding research design and analysis. Highly recommended for beginners in research. Thanks Dr. Duckworth and Dr. Kraft.

By Abhishek N

This course is very well designed. It has been informative and is a valuable and essential component of the Foundations in Positive Psychology Specialisation.

By Derrik G

Sep 27, 2019

love the class. read Angela's book several times as I used resilience in my dissertation years ago and was familiar with the foundational studies. Thank you!