Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

HW

Jun 25, 2018

Claire you did an AMAZING job having me listen and absorb all about statistics, every class again.. I had never expected I could be so attached to a statistics class. Thank you very much.

ED

Jul 24, 2019

Angela Duckworth is simply incredible. All her video put a smile on my face. And Claire Robertson-Kraft is makes research very comprehensive! Thank you both for this amazing course!

51 - 75 of 173 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Yasmin A

Mar 11, 2018

Enjoyed Angela Duckworth's lectures and I learned a lot about research methods. I'm fascinated with the study of grit.

By Sameer R

Mar 20, 2018

This course has helped me clarify a lot of things regarding how to be gritty and how to persevere through obstacles.I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn the same.The teachers are tremendous and explain the workings behind the topics in a simple and an easily understandable manner.The reference material is deep and diverse.

By Hernan A

Apr 26, 2018

It was an amazing course. I really learned a lot. Thank you Penn University team!!!

By Alan C P

Jun 29, 2017

This is an excellent course as an introduction to reading and understanding research. As an early stages post grad student, I have benefitted enormously from this course.

By Donna M

Mar 20, 2018

This course explained research methods in the most "easily" understood I have ever experienced.

By Lissette O

Nov 04, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and look forward to reading Dr. Karen Reivich's book.

By Mary M

Jun 19, 2018

I thought one of the ideas behind this course in helping people find an easy way to read research articles and not be intimidated by the process was great!

By Karen P S

Oct 16, 2017

Outstanding course lectures/videos, supporting literature and content. I learned a tremendous amount of new material! Thank you!

By Preston M

Oct 22, 2017

Difficult, but worthwhile.

By Robin L J

Jan 01, 2018

This course is great for learning about how to discern statistics. Of course, it also includes the research on grit....

By Sunita D

Dec 31, 2017

It was very good, briefly explained

By HSC

Feb 04, 2018

This course was great. You learn all the fundamentals of research and get a deep dive into grit.

By Víctor O

Jul 09, 2018

This MOOC, together with the other 4 MOOC of Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, changed my life. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless whether you are interested or not in psychology.

By Rodrigo F

Jul 03, 2017

Awesome mix of instructors. Made me understand how research is done. One more step on the positive psychology ladder.

By Antoni S

Jun 30, 2018

I've just finished this course and I have to say that as a third year psychology student I didn't expect to learn much from it. As it turned out, it was a great way to suplement and structure my methodology knowledge. The course was demanding, but not too difficult. Angela Duckworth's lectures were excellent and provided some theory to keep things interesting. I've also learned about different proffessions which can benefit from the usage of positive psychology. Definitely recommend!

By Uzma S

Mar 19, 2018

Great course, I love learning so much. Thanks for providing this opportunity on line.

By Libbla K

Dec 18, 2017

Very in depth and thought provoking - putting this into practice will be fascinating. Thank you.

By Marcos M C

Dec 11, 2017

An intense course of much reading, but excellent. He reminded me of statistical concepts and demanded more than I thought. I learned a lot how to take the analysis of the studies and mainly the GRIT concept. More than for beginners!

By Pauline T K

Jan 21, 2018

Aprendi mucho, fue un aprendizaje significativo.

By Benjamin S

Jul 13, 2017

Interlacing Grit and Research Methods was a very clever idea and resulted in much more palatable experience of the research methods content. Usually this aspect of science is very dry and this approach made it the best implementation of a Research Methods program I have seen to date. Angela is also very entertaining, practical and I could sit and listen to her wisdom for days at a time without getting bored.

By Blase S

Jun 26, 2018

A bit of a struggle to learn the technical terms, but helpful in understanding and appreciating the scientific approach to researching various approaches to positive psychology.

By Wenling W

Jun 18, 2018

very good course which could help you know how to design your research and basic knowledge about reattach, worth to learn.

By Michiko K

Oct 01, 2017

I am personally not interested in data collections but am very much interested in the results and findings. Thank goodness for the researchers! I think this course is definitely helpful and needed to become educated consumer of information.

By Louis P

Dec 22, 2017

Not a stats person, but they made this part of the course easier to follow than I anticipated. Looking for more on line stats courses.

By Bridget B

Dec 26, 2017

Very helpful in learning the differences between types of studies and how to interpret them.