Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

HW

Jun 25, 2018

Claire you did an AMAZING job having me listen and absorb all about statistics, every class again.. I had never expected I could be so attached to a statistics class. Thank you very much.

ED

Jul 24, 2019

Angela Duckworth is simply incredible. All her video put a smile on my face. And Claire Robertson-Kraft is makes research very comprehensive! Thank you both for this amazing course!

126 - 150 of 177 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Tania M A

May 13, 2018

Great course! Altough, I think a different level of interaction from both facilitators would be more interesting

By Kevin S

Apr 27, 2018

Great professors and content. The only issue is I don't like research!!!

By Manuel B A M

Jul 11, 2017

un curso necesario para validar todos los procesos metodológicos .

By Marc G

Feb 11, 2018

It's a good course, but it's heavily focused on the "research methods" part of the title, with a less intent focus on grit and, particularly, character. It's basically a simple introduction to research methodology and design, with an overview of quantitative and qualitative research and how to measure their quality (validity and reliability). The parts that relate to grit are mostly snippets from Duckworth's lectures. I wish there would have been more of that! I particularly enjoyed having access to practitioners' points of view.

By Li H

Oct 20, 2018

Made me broad-minded about research and observation knowledge. Great course!

By Najmul H

Nov 18, 2018

Useful program. A bit technical

By Wilma M - P

Sep 23, 2018

I find this course equally important with the rest of the specialization courses. Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft did a very practical, simple yet comprehensive way of teaching research, and I now clearly understand and appreciate the essence of research. The character and grit part of the course also enhanced my level of perseverance as Dr. Angela Duckworth did her very spontaneous and casual way of imparting her knowledge and her research findings in these subjects. Thank you to both of you!

By Morgan M

May 03, 2019

This was a challenging course- there was not a lot of attendance when I went through so I had to wait and reestablish my deadlines twice to get the opportunity to review my peers and be graded by peers.

By Steve O

Jul 06, 2019

Interesting and valuable mixing a knowledge of grit with a useful introduction to research methodology.

By Kenneth M

Aug 19, 2019

I love the teaching and learning of the course a great deal. Waiting on the peers to grade and that process was not as fun.

By phyllis

Aug 23, 2019

Thanks this course, I know how to make more accurate experiment and make me know more useful method.

By Karolina K

Aug 21, 2019

This course focuses much more on research methods and is in fact a series of cuts from longer videos created for outside purposes. Having said this, it's still very good if you want to learn how to do your own research. Still recommended!

By Hans A

Oct 29, 2019

Much too theoretical, talks by Duckworth were very interesting and funny.

By Lim Z

Nov 02, 2019

A bit on the dry side but learnt a lot of technical skills, especially how to approach a research paper.

By Kathy P

Dec 07, 2019

This was a much more academic course than the others in this series. It was challenging and enjoyable. The others have felt more like "self-help," but in this course, I had to stretch myself and learned a lot.

By Lisa B

Jun 27, 2017

Very informative. Valuable information to have a general understanding of. Thank you for sharing this with us.

By sanika s

Jul 12, 2018

I got to learn a lot about research in positive psychology and about how to conduct and consume research in general. My Heartfelt thanks to the instructors for the wonderful enlightening videos and content. The assignments and quizzes were fun and challenging and gave an opportunity to really test and apply all the knowledge that we acquired.I would have loved to learn a lot more from Angela Duckworth and felt her videos were too less and short. Would wish them to be more detailed. Sometimes the course felt too rushed and I felt bombarded by a lot of information in very less time. The assignments could also have a bit more clarity.Overall though the course certainly has a lot more strengths than weaknesses and I greatly benefited from them. I express my deep gratitude to Claire Robertson-Kraft for being such a wonderful teacher and also Angela Duckworth for sharing her amazing research experiences. Also thanks to University of Pennsylvania and coursera for bringing this great course to us.

By Renee B

Aug 02, 2017

Very, very informative. It was a tough module for me to get through as this is not my area of particular interest that had me sign up for the course. However, I appreciate the effort that was made to keep it engaging and informative. I learned a lot of valuable insights from this module.

By Paralee K

Dec 11, 2017

The quality of the content text of links to other internet sites was subpar in comparison to the other courses in this series and not expected in a course for which a certificate is given.

The rubrics for the assignments were nonexistent up front. Only after submittal were the rubrics visible-- during the peer assessment section. Descriptions of the expectations for the assignments were more vague than the assignments in this series of courses. I wasn't sure how long and detailed to make my responses.

The reading demands were relatively intense.

By Jo H

May 14, 2018

This course does not fit in well with the rest of the Positive Psychology Specialization...for that purpose it would be better to simply focus on grit. In terms of the stated goal of helping others to become better consumers of research, the most valuable information came in lesson 4. It actually contained the overview that would have been better to have in the first lesson. Do put some thought into the 1st week's assignment, perhaps by reading ahead to make sure you understand what will be required in later assignments. In some ways also, the extension assignments would be better to focus on than the peer review assignments at this level. They are probably more instructive, but I did not complete all of them.

By Gianna B

Oct 15, 2017

Although highly necessary, research methods is a dry subject. This was my first experience traversing experimental design. I am extremely happy with the knowledge I gained in understanding and designing experiments. I learned how "gritty" I was by my attempts to understand and complete the cumulative assignment. I recommend this course to anyone who is serious about pursuing research.

By Jennifer A G

Jan 26, 2018

Like some other students, I felt this course was heavily focused on research methods. I wanted to learn more about character and grit and how to help nurture them. As well, the previous two courses made me think this would be follow suit, but the focus on research methods felt like it went in a different direction. I appreciate that knowledge and am glad to have the awareness, but it felt a little artificial to come up with examples of how I'd employ research methods w a hypothesis of my own since I'm not a researcher nor do I want to be, and I'm not an undergrad or grad student any longer.

As well, the really short videos of Angela lecturing were too short to have a lot of impact. I think the longer ones with clearer focus are better. I'm getting a great background about grit and its associated research from reading her book and I'm thankful for that. And, I am enjoying this series of classes in general.

By Andrea

Jan 01, 2018

It's an interesting course, but quite repetitive sometimes and not very well organised.

By Halil O A

Nov 15, 2017

Recommend, however, the organisation of the schedule a little bit confusing...

By Valentin

May 29, 2019

I have learnt on Statistics and research methods but I think carácter issur shoudl be enhanced on this course. It was teo much oriented on demonstrate that grit improves performance. Not sure about the added value of this particular. It was good to explain the research results but not the intrinsic subject of character.