Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

151 - 175 of 261 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By RASULOVA R I

Sep 22, 2017

b

By Jessica C

Jan 6, 2018

Truly, I would characterize this as more than a 4-star experience. My only reservation from a full-on 5 is that many of the activities required more of a research design/research science mindset than I was really prepared for given my interest in taking the course and specialization in positive psychology. I appreciate very much how highly valued understanding research methods was presented. Being able to apply that knowledge in the specific peer-reviewed activities was less useful to me though. Specifically, the rubric's associated for grading required a higher level of methodology than I felt warranted in my circumstances. My choice was either to imagine/conceptualize a study that I actually had no intention of ever seeing through (and to a degree of specificity that far exceeded what I would really consider for a hypothetical scenario), or to put forward more personally relevant application but which I knew did not fully connect to the scoring system. That said: loved loved loved the videos, lectures, and practitioner testimonials. The readings were rigorous but very relevant and interesting.

By sanika s

Jul 12, 2018

I got to learn a lot about research in positive psychology and about how to conduct and consume research in general. My Heartfelt thanks to the instructors for the wonderful enlightening videos and content. The assignments and quizzes were fun and challenging and gave an opportunity to really test and apply all the knowledge that we acquired.I would have loved to learn a lot more from Angela Duckworth and felt her videos were too less and short. Would wish them to be more detailed. Sometimes the course felt too rushed and I felt bombarded by a lot of information in very less time. The assignments could also have a bit more clarity.Overall though the course certainly has a lot more strengths than weaknesses and I greatly benefited from them. I express my deep gratitude to Claire Robertson-Kraft for being such a wonderful teacher and also Angela Duckworth for sharing her amazing research experiences. Also thanks to University of Pennsylvania and coursera for bringing this great course to us.

By Jenny P

Aug 24, 2020

This course was very helpful in breaking down research articles and data analysis. I would recommend it for anyone who is a novice in social sciences and needs a foundation in interpreting research findings. My only suggestion for improvement is that the class creators reevaluate the time commitments assigned to the reading articles. Some of the articles were quite long (30 pages or more) but only gave an estimated time commitment of 25 minutes; while others which were quite short were assigned larger amounts of time. Ironing out the logistics of the course would make it a little more user-friendly.

By 杨建文

May 9, 2017

Obversely this course is much less popular than other coures in this seris. Most people taking this course are not going to be an experimental psychologist, they just want to learn some practical skills to lead a better life, and there are many other ways to evaluate a psychological trick, no need to systematically learn the study methods, so no wander that people are not quite interested in this. It seems that this course do not provide methods to enhance self-control and grit, but Kelly M.'s The Willpower Instinct introduces a lot of useful methods.

By Michael M

Sep 5, 2020

This is a far more technical course than expected. However, it's an excellent overview of the details behind research and research methodologies. It affords the whole concept of positive psychology a very important depth of credibility. It can be very easy to dismiss PP due to negativity biases, but as the old saying goes, numbers don't lie. Understanding the application of statistics in this research can help us assert PP as insights worth paying attention to.

Thank you for not pandering and allowing your students to be challenged!

By Kathryn W

May 3, 2020

For me, this has been the most challenging unit in the Positive Psychology specialisation so far. The content is heavily weighted to research and statistics, and I don't think this is made clear in the unit summary. From what I saw of the discussion and work, some of my fellow students were struggling more than myself. I have rated the course 4/5 because I appreciated the challenge, but I have a rusty recollection to draw upon having completed statistics and research methods when I completed my psychology major nearly 20 years ago.

By Marc G

Feb 11, 2018

It's a good course, but it's heavily focused on the "research methods" part of the title, with a less intent focus on grit and, particularly, character. It's basically a simple introduction to research methodology and design, with an overview of quantitative and qualitative research and how to measure their quality (validity and reliability). The parts that relate to grit are mostly snippets from Duckworth's lectures. I wish there would have been more of that! I particularly enjoyed having access to practitioners' points of view.

By Lauran H

May 4, 2020

I think there is a glitch in your grading and peer review assignments pages. Grades won't come up when submissions are reviewed and neither are the submissions for us learners to review. This has been really frustrating for us throughout the weeks. Please have the Coursera team fix this. Thank you.

Overall good course.

You can also maybe have a clearer example on how to conduct the research design on your Assignment Instructions so that students can gauge how they are setting up their information.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

By Wilma M - P

Sep 22, 2018

I find this course equally important with the rest of the specialization courses. Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft did a very practical, simple yet comprehensive way of teaching research, and I now clearly understand and appreciate the essence of research. The character and grit part of the course also enhanced my level of perseverance as Dr. Angela Duckworth did her very spontaneous and casual way of imparting her knowledge and her research findings in these subjects. Thank you to both of you!

By Bob R

Jul 2, 2017

This is the best course so far, thanks to interplay between Angela Duckworth (with her "applied" Grit stuff) and the other woman lecturer, whose content and presentation were crisp and clear.

Thank you for not forcing us to endure further Seligman Worship during this course. Dr Seligman praises himself enough to last a lifetime, and I have been getting discouraged by these UPenn courses which suck up to him even further.

By Eric L B

Mar 18, 2019

A good introduction to research methods. I would like to see even more of Dr. Duckworth's lectures --- she seems fantastic. I found the structure very good. The other students have a broad range of motivations for being here and self-grading is difficult for something so specific to research methods. I would like to here from an professional (event grad student) and not just a peer on these assignments especially.

By Ursula W

Sep 23, 2020

I really liked the course on research and the quizzes in this course were much better then in previous course (which sometime give you really silly answers to choose from). We had to come up with an own hypothesis and continously work through out the course on it. I would have rather practices to read research properly - closed tasks. The feedback from participants is not always pushing you forward.

Feb 18, 2019

I really enjoyed Angela's in class videos, they made me feel a part of Penn State. I would also like to compliment Claire's way of explaining the course, she did so in a clear and enthusiastic manner. However, I did not give five stars because I felt there was a lot of massive texts to read. Personally, I found it hard to concentrate while reading a lot of information.

By Maria C H

Jun 7, 2020

I think the course is a very good one and the teachers are great.

However, I DID NOT WANT or NEEDED to take it. I only took it because its a must to complete the Positive Psychology Specialization.

I really think that students should have a choice to complete or not this course.

It was a real challenge for me to complete it. I must say that it was a GRIT CHALLENGE!

By Jianhua H

Sep 30, 2017

This is a good course. However, it is a bit mixed by several different contents which sometime makes the major contents not very obvious and not sufficient for me. Also I managed to complete it eventually by reading, watching the video many times.

Probably it can be divided into two courses.

By Renee B

Aug 2, 2017

Very, very informative. It was a tough module for me to get through as this is not my area of particular interest that had me sign up for the course. However, I appreciate the effort that was made to keep it engaging and informative. I learned a lot of valuable insights from this module.

By Natalia T

Jun 30, 2020

I LOVED Angela Duckworth classes, she is a really good professor. Overall, I felt this course wasn't very useful to me because I already studied psychology and I now about research methods, but I can understand how other people might benefit from this.

By Linda E

Dec 21, 2017

Really hard and kind of boring material presented in a really thorough way, as simple and relevant as possible for the lay researcher/research consumer. I learned alot even though I was not looking forward to this class in the 5-course specialization!

By Ankita O

Feb 2, 2018

Since research is not my major area of interest, I was sort of not inclined for it. But, the content and understanding of this course is very basic and easy to understand. If you are interested in such a field, this is a good course for you.

By Karolina K

Aug 21, 2019

This course focuses much more on research methods and is in fact a series of cuts from longer videos created for outside purposes. Having said this, it's still very good if you want to learn how to do your own research. Still recommended!

By Karen B

Jul 24, 2017

This is one of the hardest courses I've taken through this program, but have to say I walked away with a solid understanding of research methods. I also enjoyed learning more about the concept of Grit and the research that informed it.

By Kathy P

Dec 7, 2019

This was a much more academic course than the others in this series. It was challenging and enjoyable. The others have felt more like "self-help," but in this course, I had to stretch myself and learned a lot.