Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

HW

Jun 25, 2018

Claire you did an AMAZING job having me listen and absorb all about statistics, every class again.. I had never expected I could be so attached to a statistics class. Thank you very much.

ED

Jul 24, 2019

Angela Duckworth is simply incredible. All her video put a smile on my face. And Claire Robertson-Kraft is makes research very comprehensive! Thank you both for this amazing course!

101 - 125 of 173 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Feb 18, 2019

I really enjoyed Angela's in class videos, they made me feel a part of Penn State. I would also like to compliment Claire's way of explaining the course, she did so in a clear and enthusiastic manner. However, I did not give five stars because I felt there was a lot of massive texts to read. Personally, I found it hard to concentrate while reading a lot of information.

By Evelisa Q

Mar 01, 2019

I think the material in this course is hard and not very easy to grasp, but the videos and exercises made it doable.

By Elisabeth d R

Apr 08, 2019

Learned a lot of valuable things on research studies which will help me better analyze. And the grit topic was very interesting.

By Eric L B

Mar 18, 2019

A good introduction to research methods. I would like to see even more of Dr. Duckworth's lectures --- she seems fantastic. I found the structure very good. The other students have a broad range of motivations for being here and self-grading is difficult for something so specific to research methods. I would like to here from an professional (event grad student) and not just a peer on these assignments especially.

By Louis A K H T

Dec 24, 2018

I have learnt a lot everyday attending the courses. However, there are really parts which I find them a bit difficult to understand.

By sanika s

Jul 12, 2018

I got to learn a lot about research in positive psychology and about how to conduct and consume research in general. My Heartfelt thanks to the instructors for the wonderful enlightening videos and content. The assignments and quizzes were fun and challenging and gave an opportunity to really test and apply all the knowledge that we acquired.I would have loved to learn a lot more from Angela Duckworth and felt her videos were too less and short. Would wish them to be more detailed. Sometimes the course felt too rushed and I felt bombarded by a lot of information in very less time. The assignments could also have a bit more clarity.Overall though the course certainly has a lot more strengths than weaknesses and I greatly benefited from them. I express my deep gratitude to Claire Robertson-Kraft for being such a wonderful teacher and also Angela Duckworth for sharing her amazing research experiences. Also thanks to University of Pennsylvania and coursera for bringing this great course to us.

By Madeleine

Jul 12, 2018

I would have liked to learn more about Grit than Research Methods.

By Wilma M - P

Sep 23, 2018

I find this course equally important with the rest of the specialization courses. Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft did a very practical, simple yet comprehensive way of teaching research, and I now clearly understand and appreciate the essence of research. The character and grit part of the course also enhanced my level of perseverance as Dr. Angela Duckworth did her very spontaneous and casual way of imparting her knowledge and her research findings in these subjects. Thank you to both of you!

By Li H

Oct 20, 2018

Made me broad-minded about research and observation knowledge. Great course!

By Najmul H

Nov 18, 2018

Useful program. A bit technical

By Katherina C

Sep 10, 2017

El curso es bueno, tiene buen material, pero a veces se hace un poco pesado porque incluye muchos textos que no son relevantes podrían ponerlos para posterior revision, se hace dificil seguir con el curso.

By Marlene S

Feb 05, 2018

There were quite a few mistakes (even in titles) in the written content, such as spelling, grammar, etc. which makes learning less enjoyable.

By Jane H W

Jul 22, 2017

Liked this course, Content was a good review of research methods.

By Renee B

Aug 02, 2017

Very, very informative. It was a tough module for me to get through as this is not my area of particular interest that had me sign up for the course. However, I appreciate the effort that was made to keep it engaging and informative. I learned a lot of valuable insights from this module.

By Matthew G G

Mar 05, 2018

Excellent course overall. I wish there was a way to download the powerpoint slides.

By Jianhua H

Sep 30, 2017

This is a good course. However, it is a bit mixed by several different contents which sometime makes the major contents not very obvious and not sufficient for me. Also I managed to complete it eventually by reading, watching the video many times.

Probably it can be divided into two courses.

By Lisa B

Jun 27, 2017

Very informative. Valuable information to have a general understanding of. Thank you for sharing this with us.

By Terry C

Aug 23, 2017

A good course, but it makes heavy weather of understanding research issues.

By Linda E

Dec 21, 2017

Really hard and kind of boring material presented in a really thorough way, as simple and relevant as possible for the lay researcher/research consumer. I learned alot even though I was not looking forward to this class in the 5-course specialization!

By Tamara B M

Jul 05, 2018

It's a little more nuts and bolts of research that doesn't really interest me as much as some of the other courses.

By Bob R

Jul 02, 2017

This is the best course so far, thanks to interplay between Angela Duckworth (with her "applied" Grit stuff) and the other woman lecturer, whose content and presentation were crisp and clear.

Thank you for not forcing us to endure further Seligman Worship during this course. Dr Seligman praises himself enough to last a lifetime, and I have been getting discouraged by these UPenn courses which suck up to him even further.

By Karen B

Jul 25, 2017

This is one of the hardest courses I've taken through this program, but have to say I walked away with a solid understanding of research methods. I also enjoyed learning more about the concept of Grit and the research that informed it.

By Jessica C

Jan 07, 2018

Truly, I would characterize this as more than a 4-star experience. My only reservation from a full-on 5 is that many of the activities required more of a research design/research science mindset than I was really prepared for given my interest in taking the course and specialization in positive psychology. I appreciate very much how highly valued understanding research methods was presented. Being able to apply that knowledge in the specific peer-reviewed activities was less useful to me though. Specifically, the rubric's associated for grading required a higher level of methodology than I felt warranted in my circumstances. My choice was either to imagine/conceptualize a study that I actually had no intention of ever seeing through (and to a degree of specificity that far exceeded what I would really consider for a hypothetical scenario), or to put forward more personally relevant application but which I knew did not fully connect to the scoring system. That said: loved loved loved the videos, lectures, and practitioner testimonials. The readings were rigorous but very relevant and interesting.

By Ankita O

Feb 03, 2018

Since research is not my major area of interest, I was sort of not inclined for it. But, the content and understanding of this course is very basic and easy to understand. If you are interested in such a field, this is a good course for you.

By Richard B

Jan 13, 2018

Good basic introduction to research methods form an academic perspective.