Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

E
Feb 27, 2017

This course is great. You simply learn a lot in an easy way. The teacher is really good and knows how to teach and engage you in the lessons. I am looking forward to next courses in the specialization

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

26 - 50 of 564 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

o

d

By Brandon W

Oct 21, 2019

I was finished with assignments two weeks in advance with the belief that I could complete the course and receive the certificate early; that is not true. They make you wait until the end, which is very frustrating and inefficient.

By GiacomoPersici

Oct 12, 2017

I believe that is great knowing how to speak and how to perform a speech in front of an audience. Unfortunately here we haven’t a real audience, the real one that we really have in front of us when we really have to speak.

This course, helped me anyway a lot, because i couldn’t take the time to follow a real class, and of course thanks to THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON is possible all of this. It is so a great course.

By Mary E C

Nov 14, 2020

Ironically the best course I ever enrolled in despite being an introvert with an extreme case of stage fright. I took this course so that I can stop that fear and improve on my speaking skills, and I loved this course. I didn't intend to enroll in the specialization course but now I think I want to. I also really loved the professor, wish we could have someone like him in my college. Cheers!

By Erdem G

Mar 30, 2021

In every year of high school and university, I found myself presenting in front of the class. When I took this lecture from Matt McGarrity, I realized that I didn't know how to give speeches appropriately. There were many useful techniques to create a key point speech. Now I know how to mesmerize them with the skills I got from this course! Thanks a lot to Coursera and Matt McGarrity

By Alejandra P M C

Aug 24, 2020

Un muy buen curso introductorio pero con todo lo necesario para desarrollar un buen discurso oral, sin importar el tamaño de la audiencia. Da buenos consejos y las lecciones son muy entretenidas y fácil de comprender. El instructor (Dr. Matt McGarrity) es excelente y se nota su habilidad para poder hacer llegar el mensaje a su audiencia así sea a través de una pantalla, gracias!

By WEINA S

Sep 17, 2020

The course is very organized, informative, and helpful! Thank you, Prof.McGarrity, for offering us this wonderful public speaking course. I've gained a great learning experience and learned a great deal from your lectures, case analysis, hands-on practice, quizzes, course summaries, and so on! I'll be joining you for the informative speech. Looking forward to that!

By Fernando U

Aug 15, 2020

This is an awesome course. In the first two weeks I had the impression the course was trying to use rethoric to teach something unuseful. I couldn't understand why the teacher speaks so fast and gesticulates a lot. But my opinion drastically changed on the following weeks. This is one of the best courses I've made in my life. Excellent teacher and great material.

By Eva D

Feb 24, 2021

The course taught me a lot about public speaking and was well structured and easy to follow. The videos, for me, were a really good learning experience, since it seemed casual, but also like I was really learning new things. The weekly assignment weren't too difficult but always expected more, which was good. In all I really enjoyed this learning experience.

By Anaum S H

Oct 20, 2020

This course was of great help to me! Toward the end of the course I noticed subtle changes within myself. Earlier I used to try to do everything in my power to not be able to give a speech. Yet, at the end of this course I was looking forward to deliver the speech that I was supposed to. I'm glad I had the opportunity to be a part of this course. Thank you!

By Luis A C M

Dec 22, 2016

Great course, excellent instructor. The topics are easy to follow up. And easy and practical to apply since day 1 of the course. I have improve in my speeches, I am an instructor so the topic was really important for me and also to my students.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.

By Meng W

May 18, 2021

It would be better if this course has more assignments and speaking practices.

By Mariem B

Oct 17, 2017

Hello professor Matt,

I've reviewed the course never really expecting a reply. so your comment really surprised me.

thank you so much for sharing your course online and for all the explanations you've been providing.

I really enjoy it a lot !

I feel that most of the reviews I've gotten weren't really helpful in targetting the problems or the points I need to work on.( just like my review on the course I have realised it following your reply ) . They are mostly just too vague. an example of this is someone rating a 3-4 and just saying you did a good job or evreything is ok. then I can't figure out really what they meant.

another thing that bothred me was someone saying you need to work more on tone. I just wish i could talk to the person a bit more and understand what they mean because i ve watched the video again and again and I can't pinpoint if my tone was too monotoneous or was it because of my high pitched voice ( i m sorry i didn't know how to reply to your comment)

By Daniel M A

Mar 7, 2021

The content is very good. I was very satisfied with the material. However, the peer-reviewing experience is not quite good yet. Overall, I had only one nice review, in the sense that the reviewer took time to read/watch my work and give me suggestions to improve. Most of my reviewers were shallow, giving superficial comments that did not add anything. That is very frustrating because I dedicate myself to do a complete review of all works I evaluated. Additionally, it seems that the system is very vulnerable to bots. I had reviews that made no sense at all. I really like the idea of peer-reviewing, and I really believe that it works when it is done right. But for the current state of the Coursera system, it undermined my experience with the course.

By BHOSLE R D

Jan 24, 2020

good

By Zachary A

Dec 15, 2019

A bit boring

By hussain a

May 8, 2018

so bad

By Oluwakayode O

Jul 25, 2020

I didn't know what to expect going into this course but taking a look through the overview made me take a punt. It was great, enjoyable and very insightful and covered a lot of ground for an introduction course. The timings were manageable and focused.

The teachings were clear and concise which made it much easier to learn and complete the assignments. The course had many positives but one of my many takeaways would be that It not only teaches you how to think about (and deliver) your speech, it also touches on how to listen, break-down and decode other speeches from a listeners perspective.

I fully recommend to anyone who is thinking of taking this course to do it, I found it very useful and it's a skill I'll be practicing and fine-tuning for a long time. You won't be dissapointed!

By Diego M

Feb 12, 2021

I loved the course. The content was high quality. The videos and materials were concise, clear, and effective. The assignments were similarly great with creative and analytical questions. The discussion forums available are good, but they can be improved. The only aspects that I didn't like were: There were no enough short quizzes to test yourself in the videos like other courses, some quizzes were too short, people did not give much valuable feedback in peer reviews, and the speech assignments were not very focused on the implementation of the knowledge (practicality) as I would have liked. Anyways, it was awesome; strongly recommended for developing communication skills.

By Jennifer D

Aug 10, 2017

A really big thank you to Dr. Matt McGarrity! This was a very interesting, very informative and very enjoyable course. I wasn't sure what to expect so it was a pleasant surprise to find it so useful and at the same time fun. I have already recommended it to several people (likely many more). It is well worth the time and probably not just for public speaking; I think it is valuable on even a basic communication level. For me, I sought out this course to try to help myself tackle speaking apprehension and I think I struck gold in finding a course that did that and so much more. Do not hesitate to do this!!

By Jaya

I am fortunate to get trained by excellent trainer Dr. Matt McGarrity. Earlier I was not able to follow his too fast speech but later on ai started enjoying his pace and intonation. His sense of humour made all the session so interesting that I watched many videos twice or thrice. I would love to join another cours under his mentorship. This is one of best courses I ever attended on public speaking. The quality of content and references are unparalleled. I will recommend everyone mu students, my colleagues and to my friends to join this course. Thank you excellent training session and course material.

By Akin A

May 14, 2020

I really liked this course - this is one of the best that I have taken. The content and lectures were brilliant. The quizzes and assignments were also really well thought out too. Having to write, prepare and deliver speeches really pushed you to improve.

The only slightly disappointment was that some of the peer reviews are abit weak. I felt that in the first few weeks of the course I received good constructive feedback. Near the end of the course I would only get feedback like "good" or "adequate", which isn't very helpful.

Nonetheless, this is a fantastic course and one that I thoroughly recommend.

By Ginamarie Z C

Dec 21, 2020

Professor McGarrity demonstrated great energy and I really enjoyed his use of humor throughout the course. The course materials are some of the best I have seen...easy to follow, comprehensive, smaller video segments to keep the viewer engaged. Summaries were helpful in preparing for the quizzes. Lots of optional pieces and definitely worth completing for the full experience. I look forward to putting into practice the skills I learned from this course. Definitely recommend this course if you are aspiring to be a better public speaker or just interested in public speaking.

By Oscar C

Aug 11, 2017

Throughout all of high school, I attacked public speaking class as an unnecessary class, but I did so because I actually feared it a bit. However, this course, after being a bit hesitant to take it at first, was incredible. Although it was only an introduction to public speaking, it gave me valuable insight into what it really is and practical skills that I put to use immediately (I noticed results instantly in the way people listened to me). I plan on taking the rest of the courses that come after this one!