Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

E
Feb 27, 2017

This course is great. You simply learn a lot in an easy way. The teacher is really good and knows how to teach and engage you in the lessons. I am looking forward to next courses in the specialization

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

51 - 75 of 561 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By GLADSON V C

Aug 27, 2020

The course is very helpful for all of us that have no idea of how to speak in front of the public. Very useful technics and well taught by the professor in order to strategically speak and organize not only the speech itself but also other activities. My deep thankfulness to Professor Matt McGarrity, to the University of Washington and of course to Coursera for this MOOC and for allowing us to learn by this way. Now I'm engaged with the topic and I'm sure I'm going to take the other courses related to.

By BHANU S K

May 23, 2020

A long hand salute to the Professor.Dr. Matt Mcgarrity for just training me in Public speaking and its essential canons like Invention, Arrangement, Style and Delivery .This course made me evaluate where i am doing wrong since years in most of my speeches and debates. Peer graded assignments were really helpful and hard to evaluate and mark some of the really good fellow orators around the world. Thank you University of Washington. Eternal Sagacious Learner - Bhanu Siva Krishna

By Padmeswar D

Jul 7, 2020

To be very honest, my experience in this course was highly enriching. Professor Matt McGarrity is simply great to listen to. Looking forward to do few more courses in future for Public Speaking under him. The only thing I think I should reveal is that the feedback from the peers mayn't be that great; so, whoever joins this course need not feel disheartened on receiving an unanticipated feedback. Therefore,tiding over peer group reviews are exciting as well as challenging.

By Caroline N W

Apr 16, 2021

This is a very informative and leadership role preparation Course. I am advantaged as a Trainer in my Profession to have had a chance to be in this class. Special thanks to Dr. Matt McGarrity for taking us through the Course. You are passionate and talented in your role and I have learned most of my Public Speaking Skills from your presentation and delivery style. I highly recommend this Course for personalities, who want to deliver their content with professionalism.

By Хегай М В

Mar 8, 2021

Very nice course in order to get the basic knowledge of public speaking. There is the right amount of materials, presented by a quite knowlegeable lecturer, which make the course vibrant, possible to accomplish while working or studying at the same time. Besides that, you not only get theoretic knowledge on the topic but you can also see the example videos and grade them along with getting ready to present your own key point speech. Thank you!

By Juan D R G

Jul 9, 2020

Very good course. In my case, I never took a course in PS before, neither in high school nor in university, so this was a great chance to learn about it. I learned very good things about the KeyPoint speech, that I consider very helpful when preparing a speech. The professor also provides us with tips on how to deliver the speech, how to use gestures, breath control, and so on. The peer-reviewed assignments are also helpful!

By KAVYA M

Aug 24, 2020

A great great start for public speaking! I never thought public speaking has so many elements. Learning about each element really made me self-aware of how to avoid certain mistakes. Analyzing others speech also really gave great insights. And the professor Matt Sir, he is amazing! So lively and also sometimes funny. Overall a course you should definitely take if you want to do public speaking. Here, you learn by doing :)

By Himanshu S

I would totally recommend this course to anyone who even slightly feel like he or she wants to public speak. I am glad I took this course and Professor Matt is just amazing , he has become my idol now in many ways and I would take more of his MOOCs which are offered on Coursera.Also the structure of this course is pretty nice and easy to follow along.I am anyone would enjoy this course and its assignments and quizzes.

By Ru A C

Apr 27, 2020

The course provides basic tips on improving public speaking abilities. I think the best part of the course design was that it had the right amount of concepts and weekly syllable build up to actually make sure you remember and can apply the material practically (assuming you participate in the lessons and assignments). Instructor is great. Would recommend to anyone looking to improve their public speaking abilities.

By Hassan A

May 18, 2021

Very well structured course . it is my first attempt to get formal training in speech and I really loved it . It has already impacted on the way i preparation and conduction of any presentation at work . As a medical practitioner it is really vital as i need that a lot during my daily interaction and regular seminar . I am intended to go further with the next course ( probably about persuasive speech ).

By Corliss W

Apr 15, 2020

Overall the Public Speaking Course was Great! The teacher Matt McGarrity is Awesome! He know the material. He breaks the different subjects down in such a clear way. I can now take what I learn from this and build on it from here and go Up! I can be a lot confident when I am standing in front of my New Audience when I'm going giving speeches. Thank you!!

By Dimitrije S

Sep 3, 2021

This course really helped me develop my public speaking skills. It boosted my confidence, taught me some essential writing and speaking skills, and proved useful in several other sections. I would encourage everyone who has apprehensiveness of public speaking to start this one, because it ended up to be one of the best courses I have ever taken.

By Zhu Y

Jun 19, 2017

Professor Matt is excellent, best online course teacher I've ever come across! I've learnt so much from him, gained more confidence and organizational abilities with regards to speaking and maybe even developed a liking for public speaking! Thanks so much Prof, you're really engaging, your course is excellent and I'm very much inspired!

By Aviral P

May 4, 2020

I think this is a great introductory course on public speaking and touches on the basic aspects. Plus Prof. McGarrity is a good teacher not only as a speaker obviously but also keeps the lectures fun by introducing jokes and humour. I had a great time learning about public speaking and intend to continue with the specialisation.

By Celinda P

Jun 20, 2017

Professor was excellent; engaging, clever and clear to understand and follow. His presentations were visual and interesting as he incorporated a range of elements from images to video examples of other public speaking scenarios. I signed up for the Public Speaking specialization and am looking forward to taking my next class.

By Yuka O

Jun 15, 2020

I highly recommend this class if you are planning or thinking to move up/want to do something by yourself in the future because no matter what public speaking is a key to success. You can study this class to learn how to talk, how to build/write your story and gain confidence even in speaking English as a second language.

By Mary M

Mar 29, 2018

Great course for those that need some confidence with their speech skills. The most amazing thing about this class is that you learn to deliver concisely, addressing key issues and leaving out the jargon. This class has given me the tools to continue practicing how to stand and deliver without fear.

I highly recommend it.

By Madhumeeta S

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course. I am an unemployed adult and have lots of passion for speaking and teaching but in this materialistic world only having passions are not enough...you have to be certified of what you a real pursuing.

Coursera helped me a lot and this course was indeed the best I can go for .

thanks a million.

By Simon L

Oct 7, 2017

Excellent introduction to public speaking - to get the most value from it you need to put time into the optional speaking and assessment exercises and do some active learning - notes, practice etc. The investment in time is well worth it, but will end up taking longer than the quoted number of hours.

By Rajesh S

Apr 17, 2017

Definitely learned a lot. Facts like do not repeat yourself is good advice for writing or when you are coding! But it is needed for being understood while speaking.

Tools of rhetoric have already help me manage my speaking tasks.

Getting advice from other students have also helped see my bad habits.

By Francesco B

Aug 18, 2020

Excellent course! It gave me so much more confidence on how to perform public speaking and how to structure a key point speech! The professor is extremely clear and helpful and I love the structure of the weekly assignment. Thank you so much! I will keep learning the next types of public speaking!

By Noor U A

Aug 16, 2020

The course was awesome. If you guys out their are facing Public speaking issues, I will purely recommend you to take this course.

For me interest in a course/subject mainly depends on the instructor and without any doubt DR. Matt McGarrity is a perfect match for this.

Thanks for emboldening me!

By ABINAYASREE A M -

Mar 30, 2021

It wasn't like any classroom studies..I enjoyed the class and mostly the assignment..Thank you so much for that...That was a phenomenal and amazing class...Would be great if the teacher could monitor you. But I did peer graded assignment and learnt a lot from the other peers.. Thanks, once again!

By ROHAN G

best course to learn or to get some skills if anybody want to learn public speaking apply for this course its very productive and easy to understand i assure you that after you finish this course you would get some brilliant ideas that would be useful for you only,while you are speaking in public

By Makarand R V

Apr 9, 2021

This is a really wonderful course designed by University of Washington and Dr. Matt McGarrity. All the lecture videos were really fun to watch and I have become a big fan of Dr. Matt McGarrity. If you really want to upgrade your Public Speaking skills, this course is very helpful and insightful.