Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

AA

Jun 06, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

AP

Jul 07, 2017

The course was perfect for me. Though the assignment should have been graded as they were fun to do. Even it was expensive for me to buy it.\n\nThe lectures were organised clearly and smoothly.

76 - 100 of 290 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By Luke C

Feb 12, 2017

I feel like I have achieved my goal and it was an interesting and enjoyable course to follow. I look forward to taking the next course in the specialisation.

By Srdan T

May 24, 2017

It was a great introduction to public speaking. The instructor was very professional and covered all the basics. Would definitely recommend to friends.

By Danny U

Jul 17, 2017

Learned a lot from this course, much more than expected! I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in improving their speaking skills.

By Geoffrey R

Jun 05, 2017

I loved every moment of this. The instructor was fun and engaging and I leaned so much. I have already started using my new skills in my current job.

By Edmunds S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course. Even with some basic background in public speaking, this course gives nice and structured insight on planning and delivering speeches.

By Claudia F

I enjoyed this course very much! I love the teacher's enthusiasm in the subject and I already modified some of my speech using what I learned here.

By Siddharth T

Jun 23, 2020

Public speaking skill cannot be achieved in a month or so.But this course really paved my path & to nurture, develop my skill in the long run.

By Cristina C R

Apr 05, 2020

Incredibly practical, insightful and enjoyable. I loved the experience, in fact, I've just enrolled in the next one. Thank you for the course!

By Sirinagasanyasa S P

May 26, 2019

This course has helped me build confidence and reduce the public speaking apprehension which I had before. I definitely recommend this course.

By Rogelio R D H M

Jun 26, 2020

It is an excellent course that shows all the elements that we must handle to be a speaker. Master Matt McGarrity's experience is invaluable

By Umar A M

Amazing opportunity to improve my writing and communication skills. Thank you Coursera as I look forward to enrolling in more Courses soon

By Paco V

Jul 02, 2019

Very clear content and useful examples. I would recommend to get familiar with the main guidelines when preparing and delivering a speech.

By Mae A C A

Jul 04, 2020

This course is very helpful. Professor McGarrity's lessons are easy to follow and listen to. I have learned a lot from this. Thank you.

By NUB T L

Jul 01, 2020

In my life, I have not enrolled in any of the MOOC courses. This is my first time life experience and I'm pleased to rate outstanding!

By Teddie P

Aug 27, 2019

This was a great course, I enjoyed having a refresher in public speaking and the content provided in this class was very informative.

By MUHAMMED F A

one of the fundamental courses for all the public speakers out there or for someone who wants to lose the fear of public speaking.

By Adweit G

Feb 18, 2020

Amazing course! It helped me manage my stage fright by giving me methods and tips. It also told me how to construct a good speech.

By Andrea H

Mar 01, 2017

This course was fantastic, it covered all of my public speaking questions and has really helped me be a better presenter at work.

By Juwel R

Jun 19, 2017

The course adds a new perspective on my thoughts to public speaking, and I am happy that I enrolled in this course. Thanks Matt!

By Diwakar K

May 09, 2020

Course is designed well but few more speech assignments could have been included as we know practice is key to public speaking.

By Jethro G

Mar 26, 2017

A very vital tool in business. I don't know know what took me so long to discover the course. It's the core of every business .

By Ana C M

Feb 15, 2018

Definitely gives you the fundamentals on how to write a speech and how to use your body language, tone of voice and posture.

By Flore D

Oct 10, 2017

The course is very useful, and the teacher is an outstanding speaker : you'll learn a lot from watching him speak. Thanks !

By Tanmay M

Feb 06, 2018

It's a really amazing course for people interested in speaking well in public and moving the audiences with their speech

By SHYAM

Nov 14, 2016

Excellent. Using the model given in this course and applying them with practice will ensure that you will come a bet