Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

1 - 25 of 237 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By Brandon W

Jul 22, 2018

This course started out very good but spiraled out of control quickly. There was no detail in the later materials (Weeks 3 and 4) in uses/applications which made it virtually impossible to finish the course without spending an incredible amount of time outside of the class attempting to learn material. The early quizzes were not bioinformatics focused and required a fairly sophisticated level of machine learning to answer some of the questions. In regards to the later material, there should be much more detail. For example on learning how to create dictionaries. That was AWESOME! But nothing beyond how to create them and how to use them. This is NOT a beginner course. Also, the female instructor was awful, she read from a que so much that it was easier to just download the PDF and read it myself.

By Robert D

Jun 17, 2019

Class videos provide good information for a beginning programmer, but quizzes are certainly beyond beginner level and cover material not covered in lectures. Potential for a great set of courses, but needs work.

By Konstantinos G

Dec 10, 2016

The Final Exam was way too difficult compared with the knowledge provided by the lessons.

By Stephanie E

Jan 5, 2019

A really good class for a complete beginner. The first three weeks was great for anyone that has is a beginner in Python. Although the last week took giant steps and was a little bit unclear, especially with the introduction to Biopython. If you are new with Python, this it is a great course, but be aware of the last week being very difficult! I also hope that there can be another course that could go more in depth and explore the functions of Biopython. But besides the difficulty of the last week, this course was really great.

By Diti D

Jul 18, 2019

Compared to the lectures, the final exam was very difficult. It would be great if the professors provide more practical examples in the lectures similar to exam questions.

By Andrew M

May 13, 2017

If you don't already know some programming, then don't take this course. Without some idea of the concepts involved when you go in you will be setting yourself up for failure. This course is very poorly taught.

By Dennis K

May 11, 2018

I learned a lot. The final exam was more difficult than the course content, but I think it was critical for ensuring that I was able to apply the course content.

Apr 13, 2016

Errors and glitches in the first two quizes that aren't fixed ('Don't worry, be happy, it's just a formating error, ignore the literal text displayed and just use your imagination to interpret what we thought we meant to say') have left me too unimpressed to spend more time wondering if I need to debug my code or debug their quizes.

There are many other resources for learning python out there, and some of them take pedagogy seriously. Not, it seems, this one.

By Qi J

Nov 21, 2020

This is a very useful course. I wanted to learn some bioinformatics as well as coding and I think this course is a perfect one. After all these lessons, I obtained fundamental coding skills, and I also learnt how to use python for bioinformatics use. This course also provided me some chances to practice (I also realized learning to program is all about practicing and solving the bugs), otherwise, there is no way to pass the quiz and final exam. In my own opinions, the only thing that can be improved for this course is to have some post-quiz feedback sessions to explain the difficult questions in the quiz, because some of the questions are not fully covered in the lectures, even if I got it correct, I'm still not sure that my understanding is correct.

By Jitesh D

Oct 7, 2017

By Tim S

Apr 16, 2016

In just the first 2 weeks I found several quiz questions that are not correct. Example code in quizzes is not complete. Spacing and indentation are incorrect in quiz samples(I realize this is probably to prevent copy paste testing of code, but you cannot answer is this code correct if you don't know where they wanted indentation to line up). Lecture presentation is not very engaging, almost seems like the female instructor was forced to stand in front of a camera and read note cards. Withdrew early.

By Sachin K

Jul 20, 2019

This course is really a great help for students like me, but it has many small problem which are. The lectures and the questions asked in quiz are very much like two shore of river did not have practically sounds. the lecture are much more focused towards genomics but really problem of data and how to handle that data need to incorporate in the course.

By Scott E

Oct 28, 2019

so an incredibly basic intro to python and string manipulation? thanks, guys.

By ZIHAN X

Mar 30, 2021

For me, this course is wonderful! It introduces almost all basic knowledge about python and combines it with biology and DNA sequencing. And for Biopython, this course gives us more space to explore on our own. The quizzes and the final project are of high quality and somewhat challenging for new-learners, but it feels really satisfying and I did learn a lot after going through all of them!

By Mr. M K S E

Good to learn the new paradigm of science in my life. Biology and the advanced scripting with Biopython are really interesting. I hope to learn more about the subject in detail.

I love to spend my hours on this course. Learn developed a new way of thinking. Overall great learning from the Professors.Thanks for creating wonderful content.

By Lauriane

Nov 13, 2017

This course was really excellent! Basic enough for starters and with challenges to put the learned skills into action! The only way to improve this course would be to share the slides to make it easier to browse through the course. THank you very much for this course.

By Keith R

Jul 16, 2018

By GAUTAM P

First 2 week just python basic learning which I had already learned and its advantage for me.

Got more skills from my acceptation.Looking forward advance course also

By Shubiksha k V K

Nov 23, 2020

4th week sessions towards the end seemed tougher for me since I am new to python other than that good course for beginners.

By Miglė Š

Nov 16, 2020

I give 3 stars because I did learn a lot, however it should be known that this course is abandoned by the staff, the quizzes have errors in them and difficulty is very high if you don't have any prior Python experience. However it is a good way to see how you can apply your Python knowledge for biology.

By Sude E

Nov 19, 2020

Final was hard and complicated. Not much info is given during course

By Ezen C

Apr 10, 2016

final project almost impossible based on lectures

By Foteini P

Jul 22, 2020

I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

By Ahmed F

Jul 28, 2016

Poor lectures by one of the instructors makes it hard to listen.

By Nur A A P

Apr 20, 2020

Nothing about genomics is taught.pretty much disappointe.