Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

176 - 200 of 252 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By Chaitanya D

May 15, 2021

It would have been awesome if Biopython was elaborated on more.

By Murat Ş

Dec 30, 2017

it is a nice course overall, but needs more practical examples.

By Andrew M

Aug 21, 2019

Very informative course for people working with genomic data

By Pisut P

This course is superb. All the knowledge is practical.

By Sunny S

Jan 31, 2021

the quiz is too difficult compared to the lecture.

By Supreetha

Apr 30, 2020

Best course and learning method is unique.

By Danielle K

Jan 21, 2018

part "sys" of week 4 is really unclear

By Nimmi M

Jan 26, 2020

Good insights ... Thank you

By Yu-Chi L

Oct 14, 2019

I learn a lot here! Thanks!

By Shivam P

Jun 29, 2020

It was a wonderful cousrse

By Gonzalo C S

Jan 5, 2017

It was good and practical.

By Palash K

May 13, 2020

It was Quite Informative.

By Satarupa B

Dec 12, 2020

Very good

By Helen E

May 1, 2021

Thanks to the instructors for the content of the course. I have some recommendations for improving the quality to make it more comprehensible for newcomers to the field. I think the gap between what is instructed in the class and the exams are massive and the student may find him/herself overwhelmed. I do appreciate it if the forum for each week is more active. There are so many questions unanswered in each week's forum. I think if the moderators guide the students more actively, forums are also a very good chance for us (students) to learn new prospects.

I like to learn the bioinformatic and I think this course was a good start. Thank you very much for giving me this chance to learn something new.

By maryam m

Aug 1, 2021

I wanted to learn this course for Biopython. But it was in the last chapter and they only teach it for 15 minutes and very fast. I think it was not good enough. I knew the Python language and other chapters were like Python reviewing for me. And the last important point was about the final exam. They taught Biopyton very quickly and superficially, but the final exam was very difficult and about Biopython. This frustrates students and they feel that they do not have enough ability to learn Biopyton. It is like teaching students multiplication and then taking a test to solve a complex equation ...

By Yonatan M

Oct 13, 2020

Nice course if you hace programming skills already and very entusiastic teachers!

The biggest flaw in my opinion is that in order to pass the course, you already have to have a solid background and experience in programing.

Another thing is they dont give programming HW in this course and only Qs you have to run in the shell to get the right answer or you have to spot mistakes in the code.

My advice to the new students in the course is to take each method/function/module and find exercises in the internet to get hands on experience with it (there are alot of sites in google with great exercises).

By Lily Z Z

Jun 19, 2018

Great leaps of difficulty seem unavoidable in this kind of courses. It felt rather easy at the beginning of the course but the level of difficulty just increased exponentially. Programming actually takes a much longer time than simply 4 weeks to learn and practice to be skillful. So please add some sort of warning stating"decent background knowledge required" to the course introduction or it will be a torture taking the course as a completely beginner. The course design could have been done better.

By Sally S

May 7, 2016

I enjoyed the lectures, but I felt they didnt go into enough details on analysis of sequence data. The final project was considerably harder than the material taught in the class and problems with the course (e.g. the final exam file not being available) had obviously not been fixed since the last version of the course. A fell I now have a good basic understanding of python but not enough to do any real analysis. Fantastic course mentor/TA.

By JoRa

Apr 25, 2020

If you're an absolute noob, I'd rather recommend to do a basic python course first, otherwise you wont be able to do the course without learning those basics on the way.

All in all the course was OK, but could be a bit more hands on, e.g. providing more data to analyse oneself as in the last final exam. Compared to the GALAXY course in the second lecture, this final exam is rather easy.