Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

101 - 125 of 240 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By LEE D D

Nov 22, 2017

Final assignment was rather hard!

By Olagunju A r

A great course full of insights!

By Shashank Y

Jan 11, 2020

Learned so much from this course

By Rafal W

Mar 22, 2019

Great Python refreshment course!

By Juan J S G

Mar 7, 2017

Muy buena introducción a Python

By Olushola ( A

Oct 14, 2017

Challenging but interesting!

By YUE W

May 14, 2020

It is a very good course

By Phuong

May 3, 2016

I like it

By Onur S

Feb 17, 2018

This is a quick introduction into Python for biological data. I would say there is much more to Python than what's included in this course, however the material was presented quite clearly. I had to increase the playing speed of the videos a bit, all the slow-talking was quite distracting after some time. The quiz questions were sometimes a bit tricky and I liked that. Final exam is much more difficult than the quiz questions and requires significant effort. To be honest it was a bit easy for me to pass, but that's because I've previously solved similar problems at rosalind.info.

By Kasper T K

Nov 21, 2017

Fairly good course for introducing basic programming skills for biological sequence analysis. However instructions for the assignments (weekly quizzes) should include some basic testing, where expected answers are given, so you can begin debugging before you answer the quiz, contrary to debug between doing quizzes. When you are getting the wrong answers it can be quite difficult to determine what went wrong, if you can't test your progress against a given example.

By Roy L

May 17, 2018

The content of the course is quite good, but it would have been nice if they addressed more how to make code run efficiently in Python (e.g. which structures are fast and which should be avoided). Especially during the final exam the way you approach the questions can result in a running time from seconds to hours. As in practice the datasets you will work with tend to be quite large, I think this would be a valuable addition to the course.

By Adrián G R

Nov 7, 2020

The course does an introduction to Python, it is well explained and contain relevant information. In my opinion, the final exercise requires more than basic knowledge of Python since they asked for a large computation of repeated sequence of length 12. New students to Python may not be able to code functions that solve the issue in small computers. For the rest, is a nice introductory course.

By John C

Feb 18, 2020

Well taught course about handling the basics of Python. The final course project was slightly more challenging than the lectures might set you up for and requires some additional reading and playing around with code, but leads to a rewarding finish. Additional feedback and explanations around some quiz questions may be useful to add for future.

By MINQING I Y

Nov 30, 2018

In general the course is good. I can do some programing at the end of the course. Something I think can improve is the question in the quiz and final exam, particularly quiz 3 and the final exam. I spent quite some time to understand the definition of ORF in the exam question, e.g can I have multiple start codon before reaching a stop codon.

By Yuqi Z

May 11, 2019

A great introduction course about essential python programming skills for bioinformatics works. As someone who has experience with other programming language but is experiencing python for the first time, I found that the difficulty of the course is at just the right level. I hope that there can be more stuff about biopython.