Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

201 - 225 of 252 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By Nguemaha M

Nov 25, 2018

I took this course without a background in biology or genetics. The material sounds interesting but the lecturers rush through it so fast. They do not provide sufficient explanation of the biology to allow completion of the programming assignment. They ask to write a code for finding ORFs yet they don't even explain how ORFs are defined in case of multiple start codons and end codons.

By Bartłomiej P

Jun 19, 2020

The course in no way prepares the student to complete the final exam of the course, if this course is for people without any prior python experience, I really pity the ones that had to go through it.

I myself had some experience but it was challenging for me to do the final quiz, but it was fun.

The course is overall good but needs some updates from the tutors.

By SIDDHARTHA P

Apr 24, 2020

Quite badly prepared course. The final exam assignment was challenging but unfortunately the methods etc to arrive at the solutions were not discussed in the main lecture of the course. It needs lot of working so that the focus should be given on learning rather than arbitrarily increasing the toughness level for the exam.

By Dave S

Apr 20, 2020

The assignments can be difficult with little guidance on the best approach to take and not to much activity on the forums. The questions can be difficult because of the formatting used and the way python uses format to decide program flow. The final exam takes considerably longer than the rest of the course

By Kerry A

Sep 6, 2020

The final exam was too much of a step up from the course material. Not having official solutions to refer to afterwards also sucks, because I'm not sure how to improve my code. Really struggled with the coursework, and even though I passed the exam I feel quite disappointed.

By Aditi D

Jul 7, 2020

This course teaches you basics only, but when the questions are asked in the quiz they are no where related to what has been taught, and the level of difficulty of those questions is really high.

By Benson N M

Jun 17, 2016

I think someone who has never coded before can approach this course. However, further reading of the resources presented will augment what has been taught and to better handle the quizzes.

By Antoon L

Jan 11, 2017

A good introduction to Python, but the course is a rather short & I think more could have been said about genomics-specific functions, modules, etc. and how to use them.

By Priscilla C

Apr 13, 2017

I didn't know anything about programming and needed a lot of help with this course. I would have like more help in getting python and its complements install. Thanks.

By SARKAFT G O

Aug 8, 2020

i have difficulty to understand the last week but in general , the course, is a first step to learn more about python and need more to apply it on genomic.

By Rami B

May 2, 2020

Methods of assessment were far more difficult than lectures. However, the course does cover an appropriate overview of python in genomic data science.

By Prathana S

Jul 2, 2020

Being new to Python it was quite difficult to me learning this. Also questions for quiz were quite hard as compared to examples shown in the video

By Vanessa

Nov 23, 2020

Good teachers and well explained. Very interesting. I would have preferred to be followed by a tutor to have some explanations.

By Ian P

May 23, 2018

The final lecture on Biopython, and the exam exercise are good. The quiz questions are annoying because the indentation is messed up.

By Aditi D T

Aug 29, 2020

The quizzes were pretty standard, but the lecture was poorly designed. I really enjoyed solving the problems of the final exam!

By Violeta T p

Jan 14, 2021

El curso está bien, pero se hace difícil de seguir si no eres programador o no tienes ideas previas sobre el tema.

By Alex G

Mar 30, 2016

Can't easily understand one of the instructors. Dislike how it chops and changes instructors in the same course.

By Felipe B M

Jul 31, 2019

This course is advanced and fast-paced. I found it difficult for those with minimal programming experience.

By Ming L

Dec 7, 2017

one pretty lecturer, the other with relative faster speak speed, some small error in slides

By Janis B

Apr 6, 2021

This is more of a intro course for Python basics rather that Python for genomics.

By Konstantinos K

Apr 17, 2017

Good but need more practise problems in order to understand what you are learning

By Inmaculada M

May 19, 2017

Dfficult to follow, at least for people without a background in programming.

By Stefanie M

Jun 20, 2017

Course content is ok, but didn't prepare well enough for the final exam

By Michael G

Feb 24, 2018

Could use more focus on Biopython, less on fundamentals

By Jingyuan H

Sep 18, 2020

Need some python background before learning this.