Back to Software Product Management Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Software Product Management Capstone by University of Alberta

In this six-week capstone course, you will gain practical management experience in a safe, simulated software production setting. You will apply Agile practices and techniques to conquer industry-inspired challenges. Interacting with a realistic client, you will discern what they want and express what they truly need in software requirements to drive software production. Upon completing the capstone, you will be prepared to advance your career as a confident software product management professional....

FD

Sep 15, 2017

Great course with lots of good material and assignments. Video content gives a thorough insight to the different subjects and makes it easier to complete assignments.

AL

Oct 29, 2017

So far this is the best and most useful course, I've taken with Coursera. I will recommend it to my colleagues and friends. Very interesting and highly motivating!

1 - 25 of 106 Reviews for Software Product Management Capstone

By Sixto Y G V

Mar 06, 2019

With only two days class many people said they are Scrum Master or Product Owner, with this specialization you can be a good Software Product Management.

This a fantastic specialization, I lean a lot of thinks trough the 6 courses: process, requirements, planning, metrics and practical experience. Definitely a 5 star score is deserved, because the specialization have great material, video, exercises and off course fantastic teachers and participants, The more you know about a subject, the easy you can explain it, and with this specialization I acquired much more confidence in SPM.

My favourite part of the specialization is the capstone, because you can practice all the things learned, also I enjoyed the pair assignments, because while you do the reviews, you can also reinforcing the knowledge.

I think that for the next iteration, you can improve:

the decision tree, becase they do not have subtitles, and for not native English speakers this can be a little difficult. Also some times many days pass with your assignments in "grading in process" state.The metrics course need more practical assignments, because many people have problems with the burndown charts and the PDF was not enough, maybe a step by step video.

Again, thanks for this class, I really enjoyed and learned many thinks.

By Alexandre R J

Oct 31, 2016

I think it was a wonderful experience.

I liked the theory introduction of Course 1 when we learned about the Agile Manifesto and we have been teach why processes, requirements, planning and monitoring matter. Personally, it was a nice review for what I have learned in my mastering and, earlier, when taking my Bachelor’s degree.

I also enjoyed the Course 2, specially when it came to Agile methodologies explanation. I learned many things about Lean and Scrum practices that I hadn’t known or I hadn’t remembered by that time.

Course 3 is, by far, the one I enjoyed and learned more. In my mastering thesis I used a lot of usability techniques, I also studied many of these and I kinda enjoyed the way wireframes were emphasized. The exercise to draw a wireframe was awesome. It was really fun to do it and check what my colleagues did. It was also nice to learn about user stories standards and acceptance tests, I am using a lot of what we learned in my current job.

Course 4 was cool, too. I liked to see many techniques working together, such as WBS, User Story points, Pert Charts and so on. However, I felt a little bit lost when I was taking the course, not knowing exactly where was the exact place of each technique. I am very experienced with project management, so it was not that hard, but I was wondering about my colleagues who were seeing these subjects for, maybe, the first or second time in their lives. I think it could be the most tiring course, even though the topics were pretty important and very well explained.

Course 5 was a good one. It’s not everybody who gives attention to monitoring and retrospectives. As far as retrospectives is concerned, it was really nice to learn every step we should go over in this kind of meeting. I have been working in this field for a while and I have never seen a project retrospective taking place, so it was nice to learn about this and realize it could work if we put some energy on it.

Course 6. The Capstone Project. It was amazing. By far the best course of these six. Every week was pretty good, with a good amount of scenarios and practices. I loved the “RPG” style of the simulations, also, it was really nice going over each sprint, checking, working and changing the plans accordingly. You guys from Alberta rocked, as far as this capstone is concerned.

I wish you could put more of this kind of practice along the whole course. Sometimes the exercises of the courses 1 to 5 were too much theoretical, so it would be nice to see this kind of “capstone scenario applied to that”. Also, I think it would be nice to take a “Capstone Part 2” course where other problems could arise and we can face harder practices. I noticed as you guys from Alberta that the forum was a little bit quiet. I think one way to make it more active is to put the students in situations that they are not so sure about, so they will be “obligated” to discuss. I think this “advanced capstone” could do that. This is my suggestion, I hope you think about it!

Finally, it was a pleasure to be with you and learn everything I learned. I don’t regret that I decided to take the whole specialization. Also, i want to say thank you all my colleagues who spent time checking my answers and my mistakes. I learned a lot from you too, guys!

By Frederico F C

Mar 13, 2019

I must say that I am completed astonished with this course. When I started it I wasnt so sure that an online course would enlight me with new knowledge because I consider myself a specialist in agile practices but it turns out that I've learned a lot. The teaching style of the course was amazing since the begining. The teachers have explained detailed facts that I was used to ignore and now I can see that they were useful and important to follow.

By Paolo L

Nov 16, 2017

The course is a real-life simulation of the Product Management role on a small product. The stakeholder and team meetings simulations (decision trees) are excellent, and provide a good way to understand what would happen based on your decisions. Unfortunately, after the third week the course becomes a bit repetitive. The graded exercises become similar to each other, and very few unexpected or challenging situations happen.

In summary: excellent wrap-up for the SPM specialization, unfortunately lacks challenges in the second half of the course

By Winston M K

Jul 14, 2019

I learned a lot! Thank you UAlberta and Coursera! More power!

By Marina S

Jul 05, 2019

Here is my review of the course: https://medium.com/@marinasini/test-drive-software-product-management-specialisation-by-university-of-alberta-coursera-a5b5b03e2a12?source=friends_link&sk=6202b4eee6fc249ef1d534e50779129e

By Eduardo A P

Jul 03, 2019

Nice capstone. Sometimes is hard to get graded the assignements, but the material is pretty good

By Niranjan K

Jun 30, 2019

The course was extremely help to understand software production management, agile principles and how to run projects successfully in agile methods. Thank you.

By Dayo A

Jun 25, 2019

The is one of the most gruelling capstone projects I have worked on. Beats the physical deal in some aspects if you ask me. Definitely worth the time and effort invested

By pramod k d

Jun 23, 2019

Practical and effective. thanks a lot for this course.

By Hayk P

Jun 15, 2019

Great course

By Andrey S

May 29, 2019

Specialization totally fits in my current needs as IT Product owner in corporate environment, but there is not so much theory and practice for startups product owners.

By prasanth

Apr 26, 2019

good learning. learnt product management with out any difficulty. Will suggest for others as well. thanks

By sumit a

Apr 23, 2019

Nice, taught a lot

By Hector H M S

Mar 27, 2019

Great course! Thank you so much!

By Syed S A

Mar 07, 2019

This course Give you insight of the Project ...Problems which projects usually faced ...

By Vinicius K

Mar 07, 2019

all in all, very good.

By Nicolas V

Mar 04, 2019

Content is great and useful for practising. Progress is slow due to having to wait for other students feedback to validate assigments and complete course

By Eminmert T

Mar 01, 2019

Peer reviews takes too long.

By Andre T S

Feb 01, 2019

1. About what I have learned There a lot of things from concepts to practical exercises. I believe the Agile and its concepts while development processes were a highlight and the last course about Metrics was other great too. I think to speak a little bit more about Scrum and Kanban could be a great benefits for the next learners. Another point is about the needed to have more video bring a deep guidance "how to do" some artifacts as burndown chart, unit test, and so on.2. My favorite parts The capstone project was a the best course experience where each all artifacts were developed using the concepts learned before.3. Overall experience I can really say it is great and I recommend the specialization because of the material quality (quiz, papers, tests, and so on). I had a concern about peer reviews because some times there are no one to review my job and when there are some points to fix or to improve unfortunately the feedback was gave almost deadline.. 4. Improvements... I think to talk about DevOps into Agile Practices is needed today. So, I have as suggestion to add this subject in the course Agile process and Metrics as well to explore a little bit more about Scrum as well other agile methodologies.

By Alexey K

Jan 04, 2019

This one was amazing (but I would suggest to use 2 peers instead of 3...)

By Scholastica S A

Dec 12, 2018

Peer reviews delayed my completion upto 10 days

By Weiqiang Y

Oct 22, 2018

definitely recommended as the introduction course for Software Product Management

By Christos K

Sep 22, 2018

A fine capstone project that summed up most important points in a hands on simulation.

By Sasha K

Sep 19, 2018

Overall it was rather good but there were some tedious parts too it that just felt like time wasters.