Back to The Power of Team Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Power of Team Culture by University of Pennsylvania

Behind the success and failure of teams lies team culture. But what exactly is culture? How and why does it contribute to success and failure? In this course, you learn how to recognize aspects of team culture of which most people are typically unaware. It is often these seemingly unimportant aspects that have the greatest effect on the outcomes of group tasks. Your recognition of them enables you to form, join and lead teams more effectively. You also come to appreciate the role of ritual and symbols in the daily operation of teams, as well as in situations of change and crisis. Knowledge of the ideas and information in this class enables you to be a better team player and a more effective team leader....

BK
Nov 9, 2016

That was quite a fascinating course, at least for someone who does not know anything about anthropology. The tutor did an outstanding job and also provided good readings. Highly recommended.

WM
May 3, 2020

Got an amazing experience in online education with this course and bunch of new knowledge. I would like to thank coursera and University of Pennsylvania team for offering me a financial aid.

1 - 25 of 86 Reviews for The Power of Team Culture

By Alex P

Jul 19, 2019

Interesting to consider team culture from an anthropological perspective, but it was also obvious that the instructor's perspective is one of white male privilege.

By Sherrae L H

Nov 5, 2018

I definitely have a better understanding of hiring practices and leadership styles and the affects of culture on their successful implementation. This help me to better understand how to implement needed changes in an already set culture and why certain individuals would be a better hire over others, not simply based on skill because they can be learned, but based on culture as that is much more difficult to teach, especially if someone is uncomfortable in a situation or with change. Great Class!

By ChunMi A

Oct 29, 2017

Interesting class built in such a way that I could study it on the train to work by downloading the short videos and watching them in small chunks everyday. The professor takes his time to explain using stories, and he reviews the previous content each week. The perfect way to learn for a busy professional!

By Ekaterina M

Nov 4, 2019

This course is an excellent mixture of academic knowledge and practical examples of what culture is, how it evolves, and how it can be influenced and changed. Greg Urban is a great storyteller. His style makes it easy to understand and internalize the study material.

By Warren P

May 22, 2018

Dr. Urban is an excellent communicator, an expert in his field, and clearly loves his subject matter. That said, I had hoped to come away with more practical and experiential learning. I was hoping that the learning here would be directly translatable into a business environment and to come away with more business and interpersonal insights and fewer definitions which I fear I will soon forget due to lack of use. I must admit that by the end of the course I had tired of the academic tone and found the articles to be obtuse, to borrow a word from "Shawshank Redemption." Admittedly, the problem was equally due to my misdirected expectations and I bear some responsibility for the mismatch here.

By Brian C

Oct 24, 2020

While interesting I found the course lacked guidance on practical applications. I have a large global team that I need to evolve the culture on and am seeking other strategies to direct that evolution. This course spends almost all it's energy on theory without then turning it into practice at the end. I may try the follow up courses perhaps they'll dig more into the practical aspects.

For people without any experience working globally I think there is some good content here that lays out the basics of regional culture differences and how that relates to team culture but for me that wasn't new info.

By Jae C

Too theoretical. This is class for anthropologists. I wanted insights into knowing about team culture that I can apply to existing organizations. Even though there were occasional nuggets, most of the information is laden with terminology that prevents me from using the concepts to take advantage of team culture.

By Mandy A

Sep 4, 2018

This was not the hardest class I've ever taken on Coursera. I enjoyed the subject matter but wish I could be more challenged.

By Lynda E

Dec 3, 2020

This course dives deep into the foundational elements of team culture. It is thought provoking and I learned quite a bit about culture, the affects of different forces on culture, and team culture in general. The lectures kept my interest, but some of the readings were quite cerebral. That said, this seems like an appropriate foundational course for this program.

By LAURA C C M

May 2, 2020

I am in the medical field and I must confess the social-anthropology topics are not part of my knowledge, but definitely it is very well explained and very easy language all through the course, which made it much easier to understand and learn.

I would love to have recommendations of lectures more updated, easier to understand, more practical.

Laura

By Kathryn H

Apr 6, 2020

The content of course is powerful, yet delivered concisely using different modalities (videos, reading, quizzes, etc.). Prof Urban also does a great job of using story to keep the topic interesting and easy to comprehend - he does't geek out too much on theory which is nice.

By Vyron A

Mar 31, 2020

I was about to give the course overall a 4/5, but the last chapter about the forces that play a role in the motion of culture helped me distill a quite condensed idea and provided clarity into how to bring about positive cultural change in organizations. Thanks to Greg!

By Kevin H

Dec 21, 2016

Absolutely wonderful information that has opened my eyes to so many aspects of my different social circles and the science behind why we do the things we do as a collective.

Very inspiring research!

Looking forward to making my way through the specialization.

Thank you!

By Donna M

Apr 14, 2019

I have been working with teams for 45+ years. This course was the first time I have ever learned about the impact of culture. I Loved this course and am excited about the next course:) Thank you for taking the time to create this wonderful learning opportunity.

By Bianca P P

May 8, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! Insightful and empowering. I found Prof.Greg Urban's teaching clear and concise. I found it especially helpful that examples kept coming back to clarify the theory even further. Looking forward to the next in the series!

By John S

Feb 3, 2020

Thanks, Dr. Urban. Really enjoyed the course. You articulated much of what I intuitively felt/observed during several years I spent in China. This course will also be helpful when leading and communicating with teams and colleagues internationally.

By Tejon T W

Oct 23, 2016

Really enjoyed Greg's teaching style. Modern, relevant and informal. Greg demonstrated the importance of understanding culture to identify values, ideas and the skills needed to build upon culture to foster success within teams and organizations.

By Mohsen K

Apr 13, 2017

Excellent introduction to team culture for leaders. Understanding different cultures for businesses in a global stage is essential to build products and services that are true to the cultures of the origin and also destination.

By Alex G

Great course. Perhaps a bit complex with the anthro theory examples for some, but as an anthropologist myself, I really enjoyed this course and its emphasis on how to apply these theories to business contexts.

By Samy S

Jul 7, 2020

Very interesting topic. I already studied the topic thus was able to clear it fast, but it was a nice refresh and I would advise it to anyone. Might it for personal or professional motivations.

By Warnaka M

May 4, 2020

By Bertrand K

Nov 10, 2016

By Brennan S

Apr 3, 2020

This was a great opportunity to have a foundation built on the understanding and appreciation of culture-forming habits. I'm excited to see what the rest of the specialization has to offer!

By Pajriah P

May 2, 2020

I am very happy to finish this course, the language is easy to understand, well illustrated, and most importantly I have new knowledge about culture, it turns out culture is cool to learn

By Victoria G

Enjoyed this course. Stimulated my thoughts on how Covid-19 will affect change and culture, both socially and within business teams. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.