Back to Technical Support Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Technical Support Fundamentals by Google

This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare you for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the world of Information Technology, or IT. You’ll learn about the different facets of Information Technology, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service. This course covers a wide variety of topics in IT that are designed to give you an overview of what’s to come in this certificate program. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: ● understand how the binary system works ● assemble a computer from scratch ● choose and install an operating system on a computer ● understand what the Internet is, how it works, and the impact it has in the modern world ● learn how applications are created and how they work under the hood of a computer ● utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting...

TM

Apr 17, 2020

Amazing introductory course, well structured and well presented with exercises and hands on labs. If you're looking to learn the fundamentals of computing, this is a great place to start your journey.

AH

Oct 04, 2018

Starting from scratch, I feel like I've gained a great basic understanding of IT support. It was informative, and it has motivated me and left me hungry for more. I am pumped to start the next course!

51 - 75 of 9,799 Reviews for Technical Support Fundamentals

By Anthony R

Jun 15, 2019

This specific course is fairly useless in all honestly. I finished all 6 weeks worth of work within 4 hours. The class goes over what Binary is (something which you don't need to know as a support specialist even as a senior specialist or high level manager), how to install/uninstall software, how the internet works, and how you should use common sense when writing out documentation. 95% of this course if fluff and can be summed up in three simple Google searches (ironic isn't it?) This specific course will just waste your time with redundant tasks. I spent 30 minutes (28 minutes of that was waiting for access to QwickLabs) proving I know how to install software. If I'm using an online learning platform like Coursera and accessing RDPs/SSH it is extremely unlikely I wouldn't know how to use a web browser or install one. Likewise no one I have ever met in my 10+ years in IT has ever needed to count in binary unless you're doing cryptography which is entirely different than standard "support". That's a whole other specialization that requires far more demanding study. I think this entire course should be made as a free supplemental material and dropped from the Google Professional IT Support Certification requirements.

By greg s

Apr 09, 2020

Made it to end of week 5...Too many software glitches (with Quicklabs /graded tasks) to continue...Even the Quicklabs Chat line could not even fix them or help "during the five (5) times I tried to complete the two "week five" graded tasks...I am going to unenroll till GOOGLE fixes this problem...I wanted to to do this so bad...I could taste it...I wanted to work for GOOGLE after earning this certif., but, I feel it is impossible for a person like me (living with disabilities) to deal with so many software malfunctions currently associated with the courses' Quicklabs /graded tasks...GOOGLE: If, you read this...please contact me...so I can to finish this course , once you get these problematic software glitches (in this course) fixed as i really want to work for you (GOOGLE ) ... The instruction and instructors were GREAT...Just the software glitches (with Quicklabs /graded tasks) were the roadblock... Example of problems experienced in one of the attempts: Could not proceed with "install, update, and remove software in linux" lab as putty.exe would not run due to (fatal error message)...qwiklabs download ppk would, also, not run and an error message stated "this file does not have an app associated with it."

By Leung T Y

Jul 07, 2020

Preview of the course:

This is an apple, apple is a fruit. For everything else, you can check it out at the next Supplemental Reading for apple.

So we learned about the apple in the last section, now we learn about apple juice. We put the apple into a grinder to make juice. Details are in the next supplement reading.

By Oisin

Jun 22, 2018

Dont waste your time with this garbageThe first time you'll try and log into quik labs it'll all come apart - Click RDP it says - sure - then sit there like a sucker looking at a grey screen

By L P

Dec 29, 2018

I don't think my end has had issues since I needed to create a folder with window assessment. I had exceed the testing but after 15 trials-the trouble is not from my end but your courses.

By Duke B

May 16, 2020

I'm not sure why I wasted my time to be some kind of customer support representative for problems my grandmother would call about. I only have myself to blame.

By Denise D

Jun 06, 2019

Very detailed, course I refreshed a lot of what I already knew and much more. The instructors were incredibly easy to understand and engaged. Each one brought a different flavor to the learning each different and distinct.

There was a Problem: Dad tasked with making lunch for kids, Mom who always does this was not available, children request Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches (PPJ). Dad is clueless, so as all modern Dad's he Google's it.

End Result: not as awesome as Mom because she added a special ingredient Dad did not duplicate.

Possible Solution: Ask end users kids what made Mom's PPJ so awesome attempt to replicate results.

Step 1: Gather ingredients.

First is the bread very important several options: Wheat, sourdough, white, gluten-free (one of the children had a gluten allergy) choice was clear for that child, the other would receive sourdough bread.Next ingredient Jelly or Jam (PANTRY AGAIN SHOWED SEVERAL OPTIONS)Strawberry preserves, grape jelly or apple butter. Dad decided to ask for more details. It was discovered child with allergies preferred, apple butter, other child had no preference, Dad decided to use Strawberry because that was his favorite. Final very important ingredient Peanut Butter: the only option was organic, which kids hated, upon further investigation and a little ingenuity it was discovered there was a small unopened Jar of Jiff peanut butter in the back behind canned goods in the pantry. Ah ha, Dad thought he found the secret ingredient.

Step 2: Assemble ingredients.

Standard sandwich assembly two slices of bread, one for the bottom one for the top of the sandwich.Layer peanut butter on bottom or top of one slice of bread, jam, jelly apple butter on the other slice. Place one slice of bread on top of the other line up. Cut in half or fourths depending on end users preference. Optional ingredients: Sliced Bananas, apples, nuts, cranberries.

Step 3: Serve

Can be served at room temperature or chilled. *

Footnote:

Dad was so busy on the planning and execution of the above task he forgot the main ingredient which was Love Mom's PPJ were awesome because she made them with Love and that is the secret ingredient.plethra of information but your course made it easy to digest.

By Anis K

By the end of this course I can be able to understand what an IT specialist is and how much their role has changed the world of information technology or IT.With this course, I will be able to understand the history of the computer, what the computer is and what the components of computer, computer hardware software operating system as well as the booting installation update, deletion of software.

By the first of this course I will be able to understand History of computing, what the binary system is andComponents of computers, its working of computer installation operating system how the internet works and what the Internet inspector does.The course was very well organized so that I could quickly gain knowledge through the lab,it was aslo possible to learn. By the end of this module, I was able to install, update, and delete software on Windows and Linux operating systems, using the beautiful Qwiklabs environment I got, to make it much easier to understand. The Customer supporters at Qwiklabs environment has been very supportive and answered all my questions, So it was very helpful for me to complete this task, I thanked them on this occasion.

By Marcos r

May 08, 2020

I think this first course is a good primer for understand computer technology. I think if I could add anything it would be a glossary and definition table with search a search form for each component - or a master glossary and definition table with a search form for the entire course located in the overview page. While most things were explained well - I think for instance the differences in a ticketing system (and its documentation) and process documentation could be better outlined - i.e. when to use which, are they only internal tools? This is just an example. I also think a spell checker would be useful in all of the forms students fill out during a course. (Maybe there is one that I have not noticed)? Spell checkers are used everywhere, and I don’t think it would effect academic integrity at all. my kids have them in the google classroom. Really, it would be usefull to integrate this class with the Goolge Classroom and the great tools available in that platform - similiar to the Qwiklabs intagration.

Overall I enjoyed the course and learned a lot. I will be moving forward with the sequence of classes.

By M F V

May 23, 2020

One word for this course it feels awesome...!!! after completing this course.

The most interesting moment in this course to access Quicklabs remotely from our computer by using RDP for Windows and SSH for linux .Installing , updating and removing the software from Linux VM was the most enjoyable part of this course ; as I am a Linux Enthusiastic .

2nd Week of this course which is Hardware was really challenging and i struggled a lot to complete that phase of course , as i have never read about functionalities of internal components of computer but now i have noted each and everything and understand the concepts of every hardware components ; thanks to the last assignment of that week as i was so excited to build a System Virtually from Scratch, it was a once in a lifetime experince and surely do it in a real life if i'll get a chance.

So the best thing about this course is the Online Quiz; solving some brain teaser and real world questions and scenarios is the best technique to check our own knowledge.

Thankyou Google for providing this course i hope you make videos on all the topics of IT.

By Elizabeth B

Feb 03, 2020

This course was very informative but at the same time it was constructed in a way for those who have not had any prior IT education to understand and follow. The videos were a perfect medium as far as not being to long and dry, or too short and overloaded with esoteric IT jargon. The instructors clearly knew their material and were able to make a clear and concise delivery in the videos. The course also had a great pace. While there is a deadline set to complete each module, they are set far apart enough for someone to go back and re-watch and review. Finally, the quiz's, tests, and assessments were not overwhelming. They are just difficult enough to make sure that those who are or have taken this course have to put in the effort to pass, but not so much that someone has to significantly alter their study and life balance. This course is great for all who want to get started with a career in IT who have little to no experience in the field and those who do not have the means or scheduling ability to take in class courses.

By YELOGNISSE D

Jan 09, 2019

Through this course i learn more than i know before , i learnt more things about assembly computer like example i know that you have to discharge about what can do something no good about electrical but i don't know before a that i can have something like bracelet which can help you about discharge . About about operation system too took some skills that i don't have before .About networking too i took some skill about IPV6 and IPV4 and through Binary learnt more things. The most interesting choice you have learned in this course is how workspaces (qwiklabs) are well designed for a workspace or learning space, it's not that I've ever seen but how it works I appreciate especially in the last course Trooblshooting I learned a lot about documentation beforehand, or how to behave with the customer or the person in front of you or the one to whom you want to render a service in the field of IT support. .I appraciate everything and i will review my schedule and take the next course in the IT Support Professional Certificate .

By Joe E

Jul 10, 2020

The education provided was awesome and well delivered by actual people working in the field. I like the fact that the videos were not too lengthy and all the test were quite reasonable. Taking the IT support fundamentals is a good place to start if you are just starting your IT career because it gives you a broad perspective of the various areas of IT. This course also whets your appetite for more.

Got a few suggestions though. (1) There should be a replay button on each video after watching. Some people learn better by repetition. (2) I would have preferred more practice sessions too but I understand this is just a part of the IT support courses. (3) I was expecting to see a list of the next possible Courses as a continuation of the IT support training or recommendation of courses for those who prefer to go on a different trajectory of IT fields. I am hoping someone reads my recommendation to implement them. Thank you Google for putting this course together. I learned a lot.

By Neil M

Oct 28, 2019

The Technical Support Fundamentals class has far exceeded my expectations. The use of Qwiklabs to perform remote IT support functions is brilliant. I was really excited to formally learn about PuTTY and RDP and actually be able to put them to use in this course. I've already made an IT Support toolbox on my PC.

From my past experience in manufacturing and technical support, I found the troubleshooting and customer service content to be extremely insightful, providing thoughtful yet concise guidance. I will definitely be revisiting these sections until it becomes second nature and customer service greatness is achieved. In addition, the networking section helped meld all the bits and pieces I've learned over the years by providing a solid foundation of knowledge.

This course has been a blast, and I am really excited about taking the next as I work to earn my IT Support Professional Certificate. Thanks to everyone who clearly worked so hard to create this content.

By Pooja D S

Apr 06, 2018

The course lectures, quizzes, assignments and practicals were excellent! It was an amazing learning experience by Google and Coursera! I received good response for queries put forth by me. The discussion forums allowed me to express and discuss the lectures with my classmates so that I felt like I was a part of a group and enjoyed learning with my classmates! The course was well paced and allowed me to develop my thinking and understanding about Information Technology. It filled the gaps I had in my knowledge about Information Technology and increased my confidence a lot! The importance of soft-skills in Information Technology was also explained in depth and made me understand the role of communication not just in Information Technology but in every other area of life as well! I would like to thank everyone who contributed towards this amazing learning experience and wish you all the very best for all your future endeavors!

Best Regards, Pooja Savant.

By Gordon O

Feb 23, 2019

This course has been fantastic so far and truly proved to go beyond my initial expectations, particularly with how engaging it has been. The videos offer a much-needed break from the monotonous reading of text I am familiar with in other courses and being able to look at a real person and listen to them is an entirely different way to learn that will benefit people of various learning styles. The material is really interesting and to the point, while covering a variety of topics in the field. I especially enjoyed this last Module in Week 6 where we dove into some of the finer points of actually landing a job through resume building and interview prep. This is ultimately what myself and I suspect most of the other students are looking for by taking this course so I found this section to be extremely helpful. I wish I had finished this part before my interview last week! I'm very much looking forward to continuing on to the next course. Can't wait!

By Noe K

May 16, 2020

I rediscovered the IT world, I was able to improve values ​​and acquired new skills in the way of analyzing the problem, giving treatment, and above all it reminded me and helped me to understand that the IT world is vast, we don't know everything but that with commitment we arrive at the objectives. Without forgetting that it is not enough to be an excellent professional in the field, but above all you need to know how to take care of, care for the client as new work will come.

Redescobri o mundo da TI, pude melhorar valores e adquiri novas qualodades na forma de analisar o prblema, dar tratamento, bem como acima de tudo lembrou-me e ajudou-me a entender que o mundo da TI é vasto, nao sabemos tudo mas que com empenho chegamos aos objectivos. Sem esquecer que não basta ser um excelente profissional no campo, mas acima de tudo precisa saber cuida, tratar do cliente pois dai advirão os novos trabalhos.

Oct 25, 2018

I took this course twice. The first time I scored a 99% and moved on to the bits and bytes of computer networking. Once in the class, I realized that although these courses are self paced, I did not give myself the time I needed to really learn and absorb the knowledge. So I actually went back and took the fundamentals certification all over again. Now again, moving onto the bits and bytes of computer networking with a stronger foundation. These certs are good for entry level and remedial education for veteran techs. The proverbial 'they' did a great job putting these courses together ... hitting a lot of wickets that are missed in other venues such as skillsoft's A+ Net+ & Sec+ where you learn facts often entirely devoid of the contextual knowledge of how to apply what you are memorizing. To each their own, but if you are looking to have a cert series you will actually use ... look no further! ;)

By Katelyn R

Dec 10, 2019

I just finished the first week of the course and I am hooked. I am excited to be paving the roadway for my career with this course where I learn all the basic fundamentals of technical support. The material matter is up to date and very informational. I am soaking it all up and am loving the variety of videos and quiz exercises. I just wish they had more activities in to break up some of the longer video portions. I am able to maintain my focus, but for other users I can see how it might come off as intimidating. I would also maybe label the Quiz portions something different. Some users see the word "Quiz" and clam up. This could be completely avoided if these portions were labeled as "Week _ Exercise". This way more users would be likely to continue the course and add to the successful passing rate of this very user friendly program.

By John C

Jun 10, 2020

I have just finished through the first course. I found it very encouraging. It was not too hard, but gave a good starting introduction to concepts in IT Tech Support. I look forward to learning in greater detail about all of the subjects and skills involved. I had enough initial experience with computers that the first course was super easy and I was able to finish several weeks early. There were still parts that were new to me especially in terms of networking. I really liked how I could work at my own comfortable pace, which meant I could work ahead and get things done, and also could review and retake tests to learn from any mistakes I made and rethink things. I felt like I was being efficient about heading towards my goal. I look forward to the next courses, which I know will be more challenging, but also therefor more rewarding.

By April S

Nov 18, 2019

This is the first online course I've taken, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was pleasantly surprised. I've always been hesitant to take online courses, because I felt like I'd be missing out on the real classroom experience and not actually learn as much as I should. But after seeing a Google sponsored course, I decided to give it a try and have no regrets!

At first I felt like this so course was so long, but I now appreciate how in depth the instructors go into the topics discussed. And the labs are so helpful that I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. Everything is so detailed and laid out step by step.

As someone with no IT experience whatsoever, I know I still have a lot to learn, but I definitely feel like I've made so much progress just in this first course, and I'm excited to see it through to completion!

By Rashad N

Jul 03, 2020

hi, thanks to googlers and coursera that made this course ever.

that's what i learnt form the course who forced me to learn supplementary readings, and let me get everything with simplified methods from googlers.

-Building computer from scatch

-solid understanding of hardware

-bits and bytes, differences between 3 MB/S and 3 Mb/S and too many such things

-How CPU,Ram,Peripherals, Motherboard,I/O, works, and their compatibility with one another

-Installing Linux,Windows

installing, updating and removing Software to the Remote device

-Remote Control with RDP and SSH

-Using QWIKBLABS

-TroubleShooting, Customer Service, too many supplementary readingg

-Versioning

-Advices From GOOGLERS: CIO, Engineers, IT Support Specialists, Software Engineers,

-Soft Skills

-Interview skills

THANKS TO GOOGLE TEAM AND COURSERA ORGANIZATION FOR BEING HERE.

By David E T

Apr 17, 2019

I found that this course was pretty much what I needed. At first, I didn't think I would be able to take the course. When it was presented last year, I really wanted to get into the course because I felt that it could offer me more background information that what I had received in school. But I thought it was real expensive. So, I shied away from it. But, when an opportunity presented itself for me to get involved, I jumped at the chance.

I have completed my first module. I'm looking forward to the next module so I can go onward to completing the course and get myself into the field. I do hope this certification will help me.

One thing, how come Coursera don't have a course dealing with CompTIA A+, Network + and Security +? Many would benefit from this. Something to look at.

Thanks,

Dave Thomas

By Naomi

Sep 23, 2019

This course was amazing. I love how lots of information was broken down into lots of short videos to make learning fun and flexible! I look forward to the rest of the courses! Thank you, tech support, for all of your help so far. Thank you, classmates, for posting your technical difficulties with solutions for everybody to learn from while going through this course. I love how the presenters in the video shared their back stories. I love how we were assessed along the way so that we could go right back and re-watch the videos to re-learn the material. And, I absolutely loved the fact that the entire course is self-paced , as well as being able to re-take the assessments until achieving a 100% test score! I look forward to receiving my certificates of completion for each of the 5 courses!

By Wan M A B Y

Oct 31, 2018

I like it very much. Coming from a mid-to-late 20's growing up in an environment to see how computers evolved throughout the years, I would say this course definitely helped me pick back some stuff from high school and even taught me new things. I think Google does a great job in helping to educate the public. I love computers but I never thought that I would take this course since I studied something else during college. Now, I think I will go for a career in the IT industry because what this course taught me is that the field of technology is very broad and depth. Almost every company would require somebody who practices and is literate in IT. I will most probably continue with the specialization courses because I think it will be useful in the Real-World scenario.

IT and Google rocks!