Back to Technical Support Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Technical Support Fundamentals by Google

This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare you for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the world of Information Technology, or IT. You’ll learn about the different facets of Information Technology, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service. This course covers a wide variety of topics in IT that are designed to give you an overview of what’s to come in this certificate program. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: ● understand how the binary system works ● assemble a computer from scratch ● choose and install an operating system on a computer ● understand what the Internet is, how it works, and the impact it has in the modern world ● learn how applications are created and how they work under the hood of a computer ● utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting...

JB
Aug 3, 2020

I enjoyed all the presenters of the videos, they really took their time to get me involved and explained all the content clearly. I also enjoyed the videos that talked about current and future trends.

CR
Jul 18, 2020

This is such a wonderful course that I had ever. Especially that role plays in week-6 about customer service is pretty awesome. Thank you google for making us knowledgeable and enjoyable both at time.

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Technical Support Fundamentals

By Elizabeth B

Feb 2, 2020

This course was very informative but at the same time it was constructed in a way for those who have not had any prior IT education to understand and follow. The videos were a perfect medium as far as not being to long and dry, or too short and overloaded with esoteric IT jargon. The instructors clearly knew their material and were able to make a clear and concise delivery in the videos. The course also had a great pace. While there is a deadline set to complete each module, they are set far apart enough for someone to go back and re-watch and review. Finally, the quiz's, tests, and assessments were not overwhelming. They are just difficult enough to make sure that those who are or have taken this course have to put in the effort to pass, but not so much that someone has to significantly alter their study and life balance. This course is great for all who want to get started with a career in IT who have little to no experience in the field and those who do not have the means or scheduling ability to take in class courses.

By YELOGNISSE D

Jan 9, 2019

Through this course i learn more than i know before , i learnt more things about assembly computer like example i know that you have to discharge about what can do something no good about electrical but i don't know before a that i can have something like bracelet which can help you about discharge . About about operation system too took some skills that i don't have before .About networking too i took some skill about IPV6 and IPV4 and through Binary learnt more things. The most interesting choice you have learned in this course is how workspaces (qwiklabs) are well designed for a workspace or learning space, it's not that I've ever seen but how it works I appreciate especially in the last course Trooblshooting I learned a lot about documentation beforehand, or how to behave with the customer or the person in front of you or the one to whom you want to render a service in the field of IT support. .I appraciate everything and i will review my schedule and take the next course in the IT Support Professional Certificate .

By james d

Feb 12, 2021

The course is good to cover people at the very entry level, I found I knew much of the course material having built & repaired pc`s for years, however I did find the qwiklabs involving Linux useful as my Linux experience was limited due to having no interest in it for myself

The only feedback I would give to the course and warning to other users is, in the qwiklabs sections you are required to use Windows remote desktop which is not a feature you get on Windows home edition, you only get it as part of Windows pro edition, which obviously leaves most people with Windows home edition with a real problem

I had to connect a spare hard drive and install Windows 10 pro to be able to complete the qwiklabs, most people doing this course would not have spare hardware and know how to do this at short notice

The remote desktop sections should be done using something like Teamviewer that anyone can download or at least some kind of notice in the description that you require a computer with Windows pro edtion installed

By Joe E

Jul 10, 2020

The education provided was awesome and well delivered by actual people working in the field. I like the fact that the videos were not too lengthy and all the test were quite reasonable. Taking the IT support fundamentals is a good place to start if you are just starting your IT career because it gives you a broad perspective of the various areas of IT. This course also whets your appetite for more.

Got a few suggestions though. (1) There should be a replay button on each video after watching. Some people learn better by repetition. (2) I would have preferred more practice sessions too but I understand this is just a part of the IT support courses. (3) I was expecting to see a list of the next possible Courses as a continuation of the IT support training or recommendation of courses for those who prefer to go on a different trajectory of IT fields. I am hoping someone reads my recommendation to implement them. Thank you Google for putting this course together. I learned a lot.

By Neil M

Oct 28, 2019

The Technical Support Fundamentals class has far exceeded my expectations. The use of Qwiklabs to perform remote IT support functions is brilliant. I was really excited to formally learn about PuTTY and RDP and actually be able to put them to use in this course. I've already made an IT Support toolbox on my PC.

From my past experience in manufacturing and technical support, I found the troubleshooting and customer service content to be extremely insightful, providing thoughtful yet concise guidance. I will definitely be revisiting these sections until it becomes second nature and customer service greatness is achieved. In addition, the networking section helped meld all the bits and pieces I've learned over the years by providing a solid foundation of knowledge.

This course has been a blast, and I am really excited about taking the next as I work to earn my IT Support Professional Certificate. Thanks to everyone who clearly worked so hard to create this content.

By Pooja D S

Apr 6, 2018

The course lectures, quizzes, assignments and practicals were excellent! It was an amazing learning experience by Google and Coursera! I received good response for queries put forth by me. The discussion forums allowed me to express and discuss the lectures with my classmates so that I felt like I was a part of a group and enjoyed learning with my classmates! The course was well paced and allowed me to develop my thinking and understanding about Information Technology. It filled the gaps I had in my knowledge about Information Technology and increased my confidence a lot! The importance of soft-skills in Information Technology was also explained in depth and made me understand the role of communication not just in Information Technology but in every other area of life as well! I would like to thank everyone who contributed towards this amazing learning experience and wish you all the very best for all your future endeavors!

Best Regards, Pooja Savant.

By Gordon O

Feb 22, 2019

This course has been fantastic so far and truly proved to go beyond my initial expectations, particularly with how engaging it has been. The videos offer a much-needed break from the monotonous reading of text I am familiar with in other courses and being able to look at a real person and listen to them is an entirely different way to learn that will benefit people of various learning styles. The material is really interesting and to the point, while covering a variety of topics in the field. I especially enjoyed this last Module in Week 6 where we dove into some of the finer points of actually landing a job through resume building and interview prep. This is ultimately what myself and I suspect most of the other students are looking for by taking this course so I found this section to be extremely helpful. I wish I had finished this part before my interview last week! I'm very much looking forward to continuing on to the next course. Can't wait!

By Ciro G

Aug 6, 2020

Overall I feel this was a great introduction to the fundamentals of IT. I personally have quite a bit of knowledge growing up tinkering with computers and software and have grown up to become my family and friends on-call IT support, and in some occasions even helping out at work. Having this experience made me cringe a bit at first, since it was very basic stuff that I've grown to take for granted. However, I decided to take a step back and view it from the perspective of someone like my mom who has little to no knowledge of computers and other IT subjects. This made me see the value of the course, and allowed me to push through that initial few weeks. What surprised me is how much I learned myself from the networking and software troubleshooting subjects. This opened my eyes and got me even more excited about entering the world of IT Support. Great job! and great way to end the course with some resume and interview tips and guidance!

By Ws B

Aug 19, 2020

Which statement is true about the Internet and the World Wide Web?The Internet is the World Wide Web.The World Wide Web is the only way to access the Internet.The Internet is a way to access the World Wide Web.The World Wide Web is a way to access the Internet.

This question under Networking has 3 answers that I believe to be wrong and the one I chose was labeled wrong.

1 The first states the internet is the www. This is false

2. The second states that you can access the internet through the WWW. The opposite is true and what I chose. WWW is info. Internet is the network

3. The last states the internet is the only way to access the www which is false because you can use Email or messaging. Maybe this was the answer that was supposed to be true but in essence it isn't. perhaps I am confused but this wasn't how the program explains these concepts. Could I get some instruction on what i may be seeing wrong?

By Noe K S

May 16, 2020

I rediscovered the IT world, I was able to improve values ​​and acquired new skills in the way of analyzing the problem, giving treatment, and above all it reminded me and helped me to understand that the IT world is vast, we don't know everything but that with commitment we arrive at the objectives. Without forgetting that it is not enough to be an excellent professional in the field, but above all you need to know how to take care of, care for the client as new work will come.

Redescobri o mundo da TI, pude melhorar valores e adquiri novas qualodades na forma de analisar o prblema, dar tratamento, bem como acima de tudo lembrou-me e ajudou-me a entender que o mundo da TI é vasto, nao sabemos tudo mas que com empenho chegamos aos objectivos. Sem esquecer que não basta ser um excelente profissional no campo, mas acima de tudo precisa saber cuida, tratar do cliente pois dai advirão os novos trabalhos.

Oct 25, 2018

I took this course twice. The first time I scored a 99% and moved on to the bits and bytes of computer networking. Once in the class, I realized that although these courses are self paced, I did not give myself the time I needed to really learn and absorb the knowledge. So I actually went back and took the fundamentals certification all over again. Now again, moving onto the bits and bytes of computer networking with a stronger foundation. These certs are good for entry level and remedial education for veteran techs. The proverbial 'they' did a great job putting these courses together ... hitting a lot of wickets that are missed in other venues such as skillsoft's A+ Net+ & Sec+ where you learn facts often entirely devoid of the contextual knowledge of how to apply what you are memorizing. To each their own, but if you are looking to have a cert series you will actually use ... look no further! ;)

By Remi I

Sep 15, 2020

It is amazing to see how fast I can quickly learn about the basic fundamental in IT Support Professional Certificate course. I am really thrilled, that what seems like a magic in computer system was simplified through this course in a way that boost my confidence. Without mincing words, I can take the many skills I acquired such as; computer architecture, networking, trouble shooting, documentation and customer service to the next level.

Definitely, the knowledge and the skills created a new career path for me. I found the course very interesting and hope to build on it. My goal for this course is to stay on top of the latest information technology, and use it to help solve problems as they evolve. My greatest passion is to help users do the unthinkable.

Thank you for giving me the privilege to be a part of the winning team. I am proud of my Certificate!!!

By Katelyn R

Dec 10, 2019

I just finished the first week of the course and I am hooked. I am excited to be paving the roadway for my career with this course where I learn all the basic fundamentals of technical support. The material matter is up to date and very informational. I am soaking it all up and am loving the variety of videos and quiz exercises. I just wish they had more activities in to break up some of the longer video portions. I am able to maintain my focus, but for other users I can see how it might come off as intimidating. I would also maybe label the Quiz portions something different. Some users see the word "Quiz" and clam up. This could be completely avoided if these portions were labeled as "Week _ Exercise". This way more users would be likely to continue the course and add to the successful passing rate of this very user friendly program.

By John C

Jun 9, 2020

I have just finished through the first course. I found it very encouraging. It was not too hard, but gave a good starting introduction to concepts in IT Tech Support. I look forward to learning in greater detail about all of the subjects and skills involved. I had enough initial experience with computers that the first course was super easy and I was able to finish several weeks early. There were still parts that were new to me especially in terms of networking. I really liked how I could work at my own comfortable pace, which meant I could work ahead and get things done, and also could review and retake tests to learn from any mistakes I made and rethink things. I felt like I was being efficient about heading towards my goal. I look forward to the next courses, which I know will be more challenging, but also therefor more rewarding.

By April S

Nov 18, 2019

This is the first online course I've taken, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was pleasantly surprised. I've always been hesitant to take online courses, because I felt like I'd be missing out on the real classroom experience and not actually learn as much as I should. But after seeing a Google sponsored course, I decided to give it a try and have no regrets!

At first I felt like this so course was so long, but I now appreciate how in depth the instructors go into the topics discussed. And the labs are so helpful that I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. Everything is so detailed and laid out step by step.

As someone with no IT experience whatsoever, I know I still have a lot to learn, but I definitely feel like I've made so much progress just in this first course, and I'm excited to see it through to completion!

By Rashad N

Jul 3, 2020

hi, thanks to googlers and coursera that made this course ever.

that's what i learnt form the course who forced me to learn supplementary readings, and let me get everything with simplified methods from googlers.

-Building computer from scatch

-solid understanding of hardware

-bits and bytes, differences between 3 MB/S and 3 Mb/S and too many such things

-How CPU,Ram,Peripherals, Motherboard,I/O, works, and their compatibility with one another

-Installing Linux,Windows

installing, updating and removing Software to the Remote device

-Remote Control with RDP and SSH

-Using QWIKBLABS

-TroubleShooting, Customer Service, too many supplementary readingg

-Versioning

-Advices From GOOGLERS: CIO, Engineers, IT Support Specialists, Software Engineers,

-Soft Skills

-Interview skills

THANKS TO GOOGLE TEAM AND COURSERA ORGANIZATION FOR BEING HERE.

By Doshia B

Nov 21, 2020

I have recently retire as a Registered Nurse and called for assistance from IT Specialist often. I wondered how they were able to fix the problem I was having. I am not that computer literate, so I know it took great patient to assist me with solving the problem. I found the course somewhat easy to maneuver through, but did experience some difficulty when performing the labs. More demonstration, I felt was needed and done at a slower pace for myself and maybe others. Not all of us are familiar with the lab portion. The site that we were told to go to on Networking was not audible and difficult to read, did not help me at all. Overall, I think that the information and training given through the course is an entry level position for a person that is trying to become and IT specialist. I enjoyed learning something new.

By Aubrey A

Oct 9, 2020

New to the world of IT, over the past 7 weeks, I have been completing this course, I now have a new found respect for Computer Programming and Systems Administrations and Networking. There is definitely a lot of behind the screen work to be done here. However, I am that type of person who likes to challenge myself and see results. I'm just hoping after a day or so of decompression time from everything that I learned the past 7 weeks, that it can formulate to assist me to find employment in a very rewarding occupation. I will definitely like to continue advancing me in necessary certifications for the role of IT Support Specialist and more. My next step is to become certified in COMP TIA, A+++ and CISCO. Thanks Google and Coursera for allowing this ease of diving into any field you've been intrigued to pursue.

By Yip T W

Sep 23, 2020

The course gives great insight for entry in IT Support.Although some resources and videos are insufficient in explaining the depth of some subjects,but I took initiative to check in forums in corresponding week lessons for more futher details and videos that shared by the fellow learners,if there is none,I will search Google and probably watch a few videos on Youtube about the certain topics,especially it is about iPv4 vs iPv6 ,CPU architectures,RAM & ROM,Network protocols and the lists goes on.It is great in explaining some concepts in analogy way,and it makes me more easier to absorb some fundamentals knowledge of IT.It is best if it could given some more resources in supplemental readings and more videos on explaining it,but since it is targeted for IT's entry level,it is good enough for the beginning.

By Ellen K

Sep 13, 2020

5 stars overall, but even great classes can improve. Would be good to let people in the labs know about deleting previous instances of ppk/putty.exe; would be good to start timer when product had loaded; i encountered that one glitch where the thing i was supposed to uninstall was not in the computer to begin with. I was afraid to install and then uninstall, lest it mark me down for trying an install when I was supposed to be un-installing. In places the transcript really needs proofing - it can be unclear or even misleading - and just for me personally - i would have loved to understand more deeply each concept in the path toward building modern computers - so much so that I could not just assemble one but design one myself. Maybe that's too much to ask of a first class. Overall I loved it though.

By David E T

Apr 17, 2019

I found that this course was pretty much what I needed. At first, I didn't think I would be able to take the course. When it was presented last year, I really wanted to get into the course because I felt that it could offer me more background information that what I had received in school. But I thought it was real expensive. So, I shied away from it. But, when an opportunity presented itself for me to get involved, I jumped at the chance.

I have completed my first module. I'm looking forward to the next module so I can go onward to completing the course and get myself into the field. I do hope this certification will help me.

One thing, how come Coursera don't have a course dealing with CompTIA A+, Network + and Security +? Many would benefit from this. Something to look at.

Thanks,

Dave Thomas

By Naomi

Sep 23, 2019

This course was amazing. I love how lots of information was broken down into lots of short videos to make learning fun and flexible! I look forward to the rest of the courses! Thank you, tech support, for all of your help so far. Thank you, classmates, for posting your technical difficulties with solutions for everybody to learn from while going through this course. I love how the presenters in the video shared their back stories. I love how we were assessed along the way so that we could go right back and re-watch the videos to re-learn the material. And, I absolutely loved the fact that the entire course is self-paced , as well as being able to re-take the assessments until achieving a 100% test score! I look forward to receiving my certificates of completion for each of the 5 courses!

By Wan M A B Y

Oct 31, 2018

I like it very much. Coming from a mid-to-late 20's growing up in an environment to see how computers evolved throughout the years, I would say this course definitely helped me pick back some stuff from high school and even taught me new things. I think Google does a great job in helping to educate the public. I love computers but I never thought that I would take this course since I studied something else during college. Now, I think I will go for a career in the IT industry because what this course taught me is that the field of technology is very broad and depth. Almost every company would require somebody who practices and is literate in IT. I will most probably continue with the specialization courses because I think it will be useful in the Real-World scenario.

IT and Google rocks!

By Sittampalam T

Mar 9, 2021

I didn't realize at the beginning that this was first part of a few more courses, now I understand why every section didn't have too much details, kind of brief introduction on the six topics. At moments I wished the course included a study guide on topics ...., I remember there were mentions few times that an IT person has to read up, learn more or research on his own etc. Now that all makes sense, On my part, I couldn't maintain an even pace in every segment, due to my own situation, lots going on around where I live with my daughter and her family. Before this course ended, I already signed up for the next one on Computer Networks ..., I am looking forward to learn a bit more detail topics and how different parts of the network work together to make a secure communication etc.

By Sofiya G

Mar 27, 2020

This is a good course for those who were training for CompTIA A+, as there are the fundamentals of Hardware, Software, and Networking. It seems like a vendor-neutral professional certification because here we can use both Linux and Windows GUI and CLI interfaces. It has a good Lab, and I did it several times from different computers: I have iMac with Linux Ubuntu on it, Windows Microsoft, MacBook Pro. (I used a USB flash drive to copy the keys and to move it to the other PC's Download folders). And I used all the computers to do the Lab Tasks. All the steps to complete the task were really easy and clear. I recommend this course for those who want to obtain skills in using Microsoft Remote Desktop (on Windows and Linux) and Remmina (on Linux Ubuntu). Thank you for this Lab experience!