Back to Technical Support Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Technical Support Fundamentals by Google

This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare you for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the world of Information Technology, or IT. You’ll learn about the different facets of Information Technology, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service. This course covers a wide variety of topics in IT that are designed to give you an overview of what’s to come in this certificate program. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: ● understand how the binary system works. ● assemble a computer from scratch. ● choose and install an operating system on a computer. ● understand what the Internet is, how it works, and the impact it has in the modern world. ● learn how applications are created and how they work under the hood of a computer. ● utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting....

AH

Oct 04, 2018

Starting from scratch, I feel like I've gained a great basic understanding of IT support. It was informative, and it has motivated me and left me hungry for more. I am pumped to start the next course!

DH

Nov 14, 2019

I loved how useful all of the information in this course was. I love how much the instructors really seemed to be so in love with their careers. Its the most fun I've had learning in a very long time.

1 - 25 of 4,457 Reviews for Technical Support Fundamentals

By Daniel W

May 23, 2018

Course was good overall. I will not take the time to discuss in detail the information taught; it was delivered well and was valuable. However, after watching many many minutes of these videos, it became really redundant for the first 15 seconds of each video to be an animation reminding me of where I am in the course. This is redundant because it is obvious where you are in the course when you navigate to any video.. in any course. The website displays where you are. I do not feel I need to be reminded with 15-20 seconds of silent animations showing me where I am; I just want the video to start. Secondly, it was really frustrating to be failed on the final writing by my peers for the most heinous complaint. We were directed to describe how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to someone who has never seen one before. Because this is all the information given, I have to assume the user has seen some sand-which; just not a peanut butter and jelly one. I do not feel I should have to teach someone how to open a bag of bread. It should be common knowledge that something has to be opened to get it out. I should not have to teach kitchen etiquette and cleanliness. One user who failed me commented that because I did not direct him to set the bread on to a clean plate... that he was confused; and could have mis understood to the point where he placed the sandwich on the floor. Another user said that I should have described how to hold the knife. He did not know if he should hold it by the sharp end, or the handle. One of those users marked me off for not being concise because it did not use bullet points or numbers and that he was expecting a recipe format. Look! I am not here to suppose a user came out of a cave. When you fail me for these types of issues using this logic; that same logic makes me think I should describe how to make a sandwich by growing your own wheat, making grain, baking bread, growing strawberries to make jelly, etc. But I did not go that far! No... I simply re wrote my project and upload to accommodate these 3 users by including that the bread should be opened, how to hold a a utensil, and I even included images of the sandwich so that the user could check their work as it is assembled to ensure the user could make a sandwich in 14 simple short sentence steps labeled accordingly. Well guess what?! My project was graded by another 3 users who complained that it is common sense how to hold a knife and remove bread from a bag and that I should have given them more credit for having some level of food assembly knowledge and I barely passed. I passed by 1 point. Yah, they almost failed me for being too lengthy. Honestly, I only added 3 or 4 short sentences compared to the original. Being graded by your peers gives too brought of feedback in cases like this. If the last 3 users would have graded by first paper, I would have passed. If the first set of users would have graded by second paper I would have passed. Lastly, I got an email upon completion of the first course that said my certificate was ready to print once I uploaded my photo ID (drivers license) along with a second photo of me for validation. Once I uploaded these 2 images; I got a notice that there was no certificate to be given for this particular course. I would not have shared my personal information with you at this point in time if I knew nothing would be available to print yet. That too was frustrating.

By Alexandra H

Oct 04, 2018

By Fragiskos K

Mar 10, 2018

An excellent introductory course. The all around material was well presented, the instructors are doing a great job passing on their knowledge. The weekly assignments were interesting and fun to take.

By Barlow M

Jul 31, 2018

I am working in IT and wanted to do a refresher on the fundamentals and this course is really worth it. Good job Google and thank you for an affordable solution to getting my refresher and certificate

By Alberto L

May 08, 2019

Great course for beginners and experts. Easy to understand and a good refresher for those who have been into IT for a long date. Recommend it to everyone looking for a high quality course on coursera.

By Joel M

Feb 15, 2018

Great introduction to IT and the different standards that are used in the field. It really gives you an idea of what to expect and the different aspects that you may encounter while you're on the job.

By Dixitkumar B P

Mar 06, 2018

Awesome course designed by google. Thank you very much. Knowledge gained in just introductery leactures started burning desire in me to complete whole syllabus. Every bit of program is worth the time.

By Deon B

Jun 16, 2019

It was mostly informative, especially the building a PC section. But that same section has two options for the exam, and one of the options will still appear after you have done the other. That makes your progress appear to be stunted on that section, which is confusing.

By Troy B

Jan 27, 2019

Not bad for rookie, but a bit too simple for someone of my experience looking to get the certs needed to use my skills in a workplace. I'd advise a test-out option for each portion of the IT Cert course.

By TJ ( H

May 20, 2019

This is a great overview of all the basics for beginners or a fantastic refresher for anyone looking to move into a more advanced support role.

By Stacy G

Jun 12, 2019

If your aim is to be a user-facing IT support staff, and not someone working in the backend of a datacentre, this is pretty essential stuff! The content is kind of dry but it's presented in a good way. I wouldn't recommend this course on its own (as in, not part of the Google IT Support Certification) if you are looking to just work with computer systems or backend duties, however - I think you'd be better off focusing on the more technical offerings from this course!

By Dawn V

Feb 03, 2019

Currently at end of Lesson 3 in Tech Support Fundamentals

Thus far the information has been very simplistic. The only challenge I've had, ironically, is one of the main reasons I signed up for this course. I was tired of searching countless websites, help FAQs to find reliable instructional materials.

In lesson 3, one of your video modules featured text that varied from video. And the challenge, trying to get the multiple VM instances for assignments to correctly function per your lesson instructions.

Your multiple instruction modules for Quiklabs and Linux VM instances, and the Windows instance, could use revamping. Especially since the lesson on Quiklabs is combined with Linux assignment instructions. The Windows instructions, though the Win assignment is first, differ slightly between the various readings and videos.

Since I am between above-average and advanced user of PCs and Windows, I was frustrated with the time wasted in setting up VM Quiklabs environment for assignments that would take minutes to complete.

I've been methodically pursuing self-education, interspersed with college courses when able, for years. I hoped your Google IT Support courses would provide documentation of my studies, and eliminate sorting through the growing internet flotsam to find educational resources.

I intend to give this course another week or so. However if lesson levels remain low, and/or the problems of VM Quiklabs are not easily resolved, I doubt I'll continue.

Respectfully, Dawn Volk

By Zack J

Jan 31, 2019

Please edit out the unnecessary/stupid 10 sec intro to EVERY video! In course 2, there are 89 videos. That's 890 seconds or 14.8 (basically 15 min) of pointless and meaningless time taken from the students! And that is just counting the videos from the second course!!! I'm not going to count how many videos are in all 5 courses of this program, but I'm assuming its in the hundreds. That's a lot of wasted time for a 10 second intro on every video!

And with some personal experience in video editing, I know that it really wouldn't take someone that long to go back and edit out the intros. I think someone could probably do it in a full work week (40 hrs) time.

Also, I like cheesy phrases, jokes and puns, but some of your guys scripts are bad cheesy. I know you guys were just trying to be funny and not make it a boring video, but man it was down right bad sometimes. If you ever update or redo it, I would cut out some of the cheese!

Other than that, good job!

By Billy R R

Mar 15, 2019

Very accessible and entry level. Can breeze through it in a day if you already know the material and don't feel OCD about skimming or taking notes you can simply skip to the chase and knock out the tests. As far as material goes, it's decent, but the transcripts are filled with typos which makes it difficult for someone new to the information to pick up accurately if they don't know the jargon. Many of the tests which require moving things around in a browser window are buggy or extremely poorly designed. The multiple choice and peer reviewed tests are decent.

By Arif A

Jan 14, 2019

Really easy and effective way to learn in this day and age where people do not have time to go to the classroom.

By Jose L R S

May 07, 2019

Fácilmente entendible. Da una amplia visión del mundo IT y te deja con ganas de seguir descubriendo este asombroso mundo.

By Preda

May 19, 2019

This was a terrific course for a high level overview of what is to come in the rest of the Google Professional IT Support course. All the speakers were energetic and their strong interest in their respective areas were very encouraging for me as a student. After the Technical Support Fundamentals course, I really felt like I wanted to continue with the rest of the courses. I am now learning the Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking because of this course.

By Delana S

Nov 19, 2018

G

By Jiun-Ren W

Jan 02, 2019

This was a great introduction to the field of IT. As someone who hasn't been in a classroom setting of any kind in almost 15 years, this program was paced really well and gave me lots of opportunities to succeed in my learning. Can't thank the team that supports this enough.

By Karthik M

Dec 04, 2018

It worth reading and going through videos .

Thanks Google

By Helena V

Feb 12, 2019

Learning the fundamentals is essential to understand how everything works.

By Ariana B

Jan 02, 2019

Very helpful in giving you the basics and foundation to build upon. I recommend this course even if someone has already taken something similar. It never hurts to level set and make sure your foundation for learning and understanding is solid.

By Dustin C H

Nov 14, 2019

By Felipe G

Dec 03, 2018

Great course for a beginners!!! Totally recommended

By LaTryce J

Feb 18, 2019

Getting to windows through Qwiklabs with the password (typing several times) and it not logging me in is a pain! I am using a Mac Pro OS. Not easy and taking several hours to achieve. Very frustrating.