Back to Whole genome sequencing of bacterial genomes - tools and applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Whole genome sequencing of bacterial genomes - tools and applications by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

This course will cover the topic of Whole genome sequencing (WGS) of bacterial genomes which is becoming more and more relevant for the medical sector. WGS technology and applications are high on international political agenda, as the classical methods are being replaced by WGS technology and therefore bioinformatic tools are extremely important for allowing the people working in this sector to be able to analyze the data and obtain results that can be interpreted and used for different purposes. The course will give the learners a basis to understand and be acquainted with WGS applications in surveillance of bacteria including species identification, typing and characterization of antimicrobial resistance and virulence traits as well as plasmid characterization. It will also give the opportunity to learners to learn about online tools and what they can be used for through demonstrations on how to use some of these tools and exercises to be solved by learners with use of freely available WGS analysis tools . By the end of this course you should be able to: 1. Describe the general Principles in typing of Bacteria 2. Give examples of the applications of Whole Genome Sequencing to Surveillance of bacterial pathogens and antimicrobial resistance 3. Apply genomic tools for sub-typing and surveillance 4. Define the concept of Next-Generation Sequencing and describe the sequencing data from NGS 5. Describe how to do de novo assembly from raw reads to contigs 6. Enumerate the methods behind the tools for species identification, MLST typing and resistance gene detection 7. Apply the tools for species identification, MLST typing and resistance gene detection in real cases of other bacterial and pathogen genomes. 8. Describe the methods behind the tools for Salmonella and E.coli typing, plasmid replicon detection and plasmid typing 9. Utilize the tools for Salmonella and E.coli typing, plasmid replicon detection and plasmid typing in real cases of other bacterial and pathogen genomes. 10. Explain the concept and be able to use the integrated bacterial analysis pipeline for batch analysis and typing of genomic data 11. Demonstrate how to construct phylogenetic tree based on SNPs 12. Apply the phylogenetic tool to construct phylogenetic trees and explain the relatedness of bacterial or pathogen strains 13. Describe how to create your own sequence database 14. Utilize the MyDbFinder tool to detect genetic markers of interest from whole genome sequencing...

AP

Jul 19, 2020

Thank you very much for this course through which i learnt basic handling of bioinformatics tools and concepts of WGS. This will help me a lot while pursuing my PhD research work in my field.

MB

Jun 9, 2019

Excellent course with a wealth of information about tools and applications of whole genome sequencing. Presented in a very lucid and interesting manner, very crispy and simplified course.

51 - 75 of 299 Reviews for Whole genome sequencing of bacterial genomes - tools and applications

By Drake A

Mar 4, 2022

This course introduced me to the tools that I need for genotyping bacteria specifically, the bioinformatics tools. I would recommend it to anyone that would wish to analyze their data for research or any other analysis.

By Jyotika P

Aug 5, 2020

I really liked this course very much. It gave me hands on experience and the best part is the final quiz of this course. This course has given me confidence to do further study in this field. Thanks to Coursera and DTU.

By DrPurvi R

This was very informative and easy to understand course for beginners. Whole genome sequencing tools were explained very easily. I learned bacterial sub typing and new bioinformatics tools for bacterial gnome analysis.

By David M M

Apr 11, 2018

Learn the basics of WGS and how to use different tools for data analysis: species identification, plasmid search, resistance genes search, serotyping... All with a good structure and very well explained.

By Magha R C B

Jul 13, 2020

Thank you very much for all the lecturers participated in this course.I believe the knowledge and the qualification which I gain from this course will benefit me in my future Biomedical science studies.

By Anisha M

Nov 4, 2020

excellent instructors... really enjoyed the course ...my sincere thanks to all the instructors for their effort...looking forward to meet them in forecoming sessions...thanks a lot

By Charan R

Jul 21, 2020

Thank you very much coursera and all educators who helped me learn this WGS. This course is just awesome. It really helps me pursue my career. Once again thanks alot to DTU TEAM.

By Abdullah A J

Aug 20, 2020

It was an immense journey throughout the course. The structure of the course, so organized and informative. Truly appreciate Coursera and the DTU instructors for the course.

By Ashraf A

Jul 22, 2020

Excellent Course. Many thanks to DTU and Coursera for providing such a wonderful course. I learned a lot of things from this course. This course is definitely a winner.

By Linh D

Oct 9, 2021

Now I have a background on whole genome sequencing, which means how I know to solve data from WGS. Thanks to DTU's course for giving me NGS knowledge in a simply way.

By Ana V U B

Dec 17, 2017

I loved the course. I lerned how to use different tools to understant a DNA information, with a lot of practical exercises. I can wait the course of metagenomics.

By S.Nipun

Jul 6, 2020

Very well structured and conducted .A very good course for hands on experience of bioinformatic online tools for Whole Genome sequencing of bacterial genomes.

By Valeria O M

Jun 3, 2018

Me gustaron los video que van directo al fundamento de cada herramienta, y lo mejor es que el curso también se enfoca en la aplicación de lo enseñado. Gracias

By Sanjana V

Mar 31, 2020

The instructors are very efficient and helped me learn with full understanding and made me proficient to use the tools and databases.

By Ferdinand A

Dec 27, 2021

​I have learnt a lot through this wonderful topic. It had enabled me to understand the whole process of genome sequencing and different ways of processing.

By David P

Apr 21, 2020

Excellent beginner course for WGS. The topics of the course are very interesting and well curated. The speakers are fluent and clear during the lessons.

By Tan P W

Feb 23, 2021

The course was super fun and enjoyable. I am able to follow each module and proceed through the quizzes with ease. Thank you for creating this course!

By Kulumanali G ]

Jun 20, 2020

It is a very wonderful and informative lecture & thank you so much Coursera & DTU for your amazing presentations. I am very grateful for this course.

By Nidhi p

Jun 8, 2020

This course content is very informative. It gives both theoretical as well as practical knowledge of Whole Genome Sequencing. MCQ's are well designed.

By Hiren B

Feb 10, 2022

Well organized course. I have learnt many new things. Liked all the instructors. Thanks to Ms. Shiny for her enthusiastic lectures. Thank you all.

By Vanessa L

Jan 14, 2018

This is a very interesting course, it's practical and simple to follow and I've learned a lot about whole genome sequencing and its techniques.

By Hussen E A

Aug 20, 2020

I found the course very interesting but I am not happy that the certificate was not sent to my email. please send it to my institutional email.

By Hussen E A

Aug 19, 2020

The course is very relevant for animal science professionals, however, you should offer the certificate while applicants finishing the course.

By A. K K D

Aug 1, 2020

This helped me a lot to improve my knowledge in WGS and last especially like to thank Dr. Pimlapas Leekitcharoenphon for her superb teaching

By Dr. R K G

Jul 20, 2020

An advanced, most relevant, balanced theory and practical weightage, a course with Crystal clear guidelines/instructions. Great experience.