Back to Age of Cathedrals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Age of Cathedrals by Yale University

An introduction to some of the most astonishing architectural monuments the world has ever known—Gothic cathedrals. We shall study the art, literature, intellectual life, economics, and new social arrangements that arose in the shadow of the cathedrals and that were such an important part of the revival of cities in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The goal of the course is a better appreciation of the High Middle Ages, a world that is still recognizably our own....

CL

Jan 08, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I learned so much about cathedrals and their history. The professor was engaging, the forums were lively, and the imagery and music was beautiful and inspirational.

DO

Apr 05, 2019

Thank you soo much for providing this great course online. I am almost at the finish line, and it’s been a great learning experience for me soo far. Thank you Coursera :), and Yale University.

1 - 25 of 54 Reviews for Age of Cathedrals

By john c

Jul 11, 2018

A truly sublime course that takes you on a remarkable journey of discovery, in the safe and knowledgeable hands of our eminent guide, Howard Bloch Sterling Professor of French.

By Alice K

Jan 25, 2018

Very interesting and well worth my time taking this course. I helped me appreciate not only the significance of the cathedrals, but the thinking and motivation of the medieval people.

By Wendi S

Jan 23, 2018

The visuals for this course were very good. However, the presentation left a lot to be desired. There was a lot of reading to be done, which wasn't the problem. It supported what was being shown in the videos. However, during the videos the professor would then quote very large passages of what had already been read. This took away from the enjoyment of the topic. His voice was very monotonous, and having already read the information, a brief reference would have been better. Too much time was spent repeating information that had been covered. It was very obvious that the professor was reading off his cue cards. The title is misleading as one expects to learn about the cathedrals of the time period. Only three were ever discussed, and the rest of the lessons were only peripherally related.

By Kate J

Jan 01, 2018

This is the fifth Coursera class I have completed. While the topic is fascinating and the lectures good, it did not meet my high expectations based on previous experiences. It was not user friendly as there were wrong answers to quiz questions, writing assignments that did not reflect lecture content, and general lack of response from staff.

By Hervé B

Dec 21, 2018

Un grand bravo au Pr Howard Bloch pour avoir su rendre ce cours enrichissant tout restant divertissant.

By Agnes G

Dec 24, 2018

I've enjoyed every minute of this course, 'The Age of Cathedrals' I would recommend it to anyone interested to learn more about Medieval history and architecture even if it is only a beginners course. It is wonderfully put together. Really very interesting, and we were well looked after by the mentors. Many thanks again to organisers, mentors and fellow students.

By Marcela R V

Nov 28, 2018

Excellent course, congratulations.

By Montserrat A V

Nov 13, 2018

Of all the courses i saw here this will be especially in my heart. Really fascinating. Thank you.

By Carol L

Jan 08, 2019

By wei l

Feb 18, 2019

I really enjoyed the course. Thank you Dr. Bloch.

By MªJesús F M

Mar 08, 2019

Great course.

By Lillianne d H G

Mar 15, 2019

Amazing course and amazing professor

By Natalia

Mar 19, 2019

I was really exited about the cource, and now going to visit France to see everything I have heard about! Thank you a lot!

By Christine R

Sep 16, 2018

Beautiful and full of information Have recommended it to others.

By Roberto C M N

Mar 30, 2018

The best course I've learn and participate. Recommended.

Curso Excelente completíssimo. Recomendo

By Cristina L

Jan 29, 2018

Amazing!

By Vincent T C

Jan 27, 2018

One of the best courses I've taken through Coursera!

By Chevalier L

Jan 07, 2018

excellent level of informations ! Great teacher who defenetly love french History

By Leonie K

Jan 14, 2018

By Martha D G

Jan 03, 2018

An excellent course, well organized, lots of reading material concerning the themes studied and an excellent Professor.

By Cynthia L S

Jan 28, 2018

This course far exceeded what I was expecting. He explained the statuary on the exterior, the symbolism relating to the beautiful stained-glass windows and introduced me to

By Francoise m

Feb 19, 2018

I really like The Age of Cathedrals, It is interesting and very complete.

By Anne H

Mar 18, 2018

Loved the content, the pictures, the professor, and the literature included!

By Ronald J D

Feb 24, 2018

A comprehensive, in-depth, and ruminant analysis about Gothic architecture, it's history, the lifestyle it influenced, and everything in between. Perfect for architects, architecture professors, and enthusiasts!