Back to An Introduction to American Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to American Law by University of Pennsylvania

This course will give you a glimpse into six different areas of American law: Tort Law, Contract Law, Property, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure. You will gain insight into the complexities and dilemmas that arise from the application of law in different settings, and what is distinctive about American approaches....

AA

Sep 17, 2018

I enjoyed this course and it helped me to understand the basic parts of American Law. My only suggestion is to provide even more cases as examples to demonstrate the doctrines and statutes. Thank you.

AD

Jul 26, 2019

This is an excellent class, presentations and content from expert professors are well done, I highly recommend this class whether you're studying law or any other discipline this class is essential.

1 - 25 of 508 Reviews for An Introduction to American Law

By Trevor W

Jan 04, 2018

I'm starting law school soon but don't have a pre-law background. This course has been very helpful in getting me acquainted with some of the general areas of law to which I'll be exposed in school. Being taught by law professors helped me to get a basic understanding of many of the principles of the law as well as many of the terms that I will need to be familiar with once I'm thrown in the deep end.

I'd recommend this course to anyone either thinking about going into the study of law or actually getting ready to enter law school.

By Akala

Sep 17, 2018

By Farzad A

Oct 05, 2019

I have no background in law whatsoever and this course was a very brief and to the point introduction to the US law. I really liked the partitioning of the course. Each week goes after a specific aspect and gives a great overview.

By Sharvari S

Nov 03, 2018

A well designed course to provide an overview into the American Law and legal system. I would recommend this to all those who want to understand the American Law especially to legal professionals from other countries who want to seek a deeper understanding into the subject. The professors do a great job of explaining major subjects of the American Law in a precise and uncomplicated manner. The reviews and tests are thought provoking and require some serious prior study and understanding. I have learnt a great deal from this course.

By Rodrigo P R V

Aug 11, 2019

Como persona que ejerce el derecho en un pais extranjero (Chile) el curso ha sido una fantastica comparativa, que permite ver las diferencias y similitudes entre ambos sistemas. Muy recomendado.

As a person who works as attorney at a diferent country (Chile) this course has been a fantastic oportunity to compair both legal systems, and their diferences and similarities. Very recomended.

By Dillon M

Sep 24, 2016

Very comprehensive-- thoroughly enjoyed the lectures on the Constitution. Thought I needed more time for the additional readings; however, inclusion of a quasi-text (or text) was great. Thank you.

By Nuno d P

May 08, 2019

Too much theoretical;

The teachers talk way too much about principles, general ideas and special cases;

It should be more practical if necessary with more videos, so that after the course students would be able to have a better knowledge of the American Law.

By Ruohan W

Apr 06, 2017

I highly recommend this informative course, and it's the first one I've ever completed on Coursera. I candidly appreciate all the hard work done by these excellent professors. Thank you so much for enlightening me! As a Chinese whose undergraduate major is journalism, it effectively informs such a foreign layman like me of some basics of American law. Through step-by-step illustrations, it provides a general picture of the American law, explain its distinctiveness, and shows various problems developed during the construction, interpretation, and application of this legal system. What impressed me and made me think the most during this intellectual journey was how institutional culture of enforcement coupled with constant shift of societal norms was incrementally shaping and consolidating the American law. Although there is still a lot to absorb and internalize, I feel happy and refreshed!

By Molu M

Mar 30, 2017

Este curso es de gran ayuda para personas que son inmigrantes como yo y quiere tener conocimiento del país al que hemos arribado como es los Estados Unidos de América.

Personalmente se que es tarea difícil entender las leyes de cada país y como abogada, graduada en Colombia, mi tierra natal siento la necesidad de aprender y entender como se maneja el sistema legal, sus origines y principales aspectos de Norte América.

Considero esta aplicación como herramienta accesible debido a que hablo español y los videos de este curso se encuentran con la traducción durante su reproducción, para mi es satisfactorio sentirme en un entorno de conocimiento incluyente al que puedo ser parte gracias a que comprendo y analizo con mayor facilidad los temas.

By Noah S A

Jun 08, 2016

I came into this course knowing almost nothing about American Law. Now that I have finished this course, I believe I could go into a court room, and watch the proceedings and actually understand what is happening. Of course, I do not know all of the details, and this did not teach the details. This course gives a practical and intelligent way of portraying the different aspects of Law. Not only does this course represent the substance of Law in a practical manner, but it also is a true introduction as it states. There are no prerequisites required to take this course, and anyone with a decent vocabulary and reading skills can take this course.

By Barbara C M

Mar 22, 2020

This course helped me understand most of the information shared from within.

But it remains unclear why or how some arbitration may be binding. That concept needs further explanation, since some arbitration may be dismissed or overruled. I do not know why some arbitrated cased are final and closed, but other arbitrated cases move to litigation.

I also do not understand why different arbitrators would deliver different opinions or decisions over one case, were they asked.

Please share your thoughts regarding this. My contact information is: ewropsagent@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your time and service.

Barbara

By Detlev J C

Feb 13, 2017

As a Brit new to the US I found this course to be a wonderful introduction to the structure and ideas that make up the American legal system. The course lectures are easy to follow, and the reading material very useful. To get the best from the course you need to spend more reading time than the course suggests, especially if unfamiliar with the American legal system at the point of starting the course. Overall I would thoroughly recommend this as a great introduction to American Law, it's evolution over time, and the things that make it unique.

By Anthony T

Jun 22, 2019

An excellent course. The story telling approach is most suitable for a short introductory course. Concise and punchy without sacrifice of quality. I find the segment on constitutional law not only particularly interesting, but also clears up a lot of my mis-conception about the United States constitution, political system and politics. A big thank you to all 6 professors who are kind enough to have taken the time to present the lectures. An high quality educational experience, though brief, that few other law schools can match or rival.

By JoAnne E R

Jun 23, 2017

This course is very informative. I enjoyed taking the course. I believe I can forward this course to another interested person. on a scale of 1-10, I give the course the rating of 11. I approve this course for our humans who live on Mars, therefore this course represents the education system of intergalactic space travel. I am reviewing many universities to determine which universities participace in our now future space program. I write space missions for Princeton, and NASA. I know what I am looking for.

By Amedeo R

Oct 05, 2015

Very interesting course. I'm a student of Law and Business Administration in Bocconi and I found the apporach in the course very useful in order to be introducted to the American Legal System. The differences between the other systems are well defined and every concept is explained in an easy way, allowing even students without a legal background at being involved. At the same time it remains interesting for students who already have a legal background for its comparative issues.

By julio e c g

Mar 23, 2020

Respetados Profesores. Y prestigiosa Universidad de Pennsylvania. Aprecio sus valiosas enseñanzas lo cual incluye los foros. Coursera es una plataforma muy pedagógica. Muy querido en conocer sobre el Americano. Pienso en muchas personas y amigos, como haces con el mismo acerca de la importancia de este curso. Tiene una plataforma muy amigable y muy buenos profesores con gran sentido pragmático y sabiduría. Muchas Gracias- Mi admiración. Julio Ernesto Cepeda

By Max C

Apr 30, 2017

Great introductory material given by six fantastic professors at the University of Pennsylvania. Good amount of information and delivered at the right pace to keep the flow interesting. Facts and examples used all kept the interest levels high. Easy to follow. And for the record, this is from an Engineer with only limited previous knowledge and dealings in contract law. This was taken in the journey to expand my commercial knowledge. Good job, thanks.

By Beatriz O B

Apr 15, 2017

The present course was a unique opportunity to learn the basis of American Law for those who study this field. I find the material was excellent and easy to understand to a student who has english as her second language. Moreover, the professors couldn't be better qualified to the lectures. This course broad my horizons in a way that I could not only compare Brazilian Law to American law, but understand the importance to study different Law Systems.

By Corinne S

Mar 27, 2016

This is a great way to run a MOOC. Each module has an instructor specialized in that area of law. They all explain things clearly and with many examples. I was completely unfamiliar with the different types of law that are used in the civil and criminal court system before this case. Now I feel like I have a grasp on the basics and am looking forward to talking more law classes. Great class to take! Highly recommended

By A K W

Apr 03, 2020

Doing this course was time well spent. I enjoyed each module and all the quizzes and even the final exam. All the educators were knowledgeable and great at explaining things. Amidst all this corona virus induced craziness your course was a retreat. I also hope I will understand American Law better now. Thank you very much for this opportunity to experience high quality teaching and access to great materials.

By Edlira H

Feb 05, 2020

This was the best course I have ever taken. When you learn you don't feel tired at all because it is very entertaining and interactive. The professors are very clear whey they explain and having them explained with case laws is more comprehensive. The videos are very interesting, you can listen them whenever you want. It is just perfect. You really reach to get the first knowledge of American Law.

By Bhumi G

Dec 31, 2017

I learned that there are different laws and actions for different situations. I thought there was one law for everything. I found this very intriguing. The tort law though was the one I found the most interesting. The teacher was extremely engaging, everything in the content was interesting, valuable and informative. I wasn't confused a bit. The criminal law was very compulsive as well.

By Clay S

Jan 23, 2016

I am a first year law student. This course is great as an introduction, as its title advertises. My only complaint is that the introduction is so shallow. Each professor gave about one hour of lecture, split into shorter videos. Even doubling the amount of material to two hours per subject would be phenomenally helpful and not require a great, extra effort on the part of the profs.

By Amisha S

Dec 16, 2018

Thank you for making this course available online. The fact that I am learning from such a prestigious college and amazing teachers makes me feel really happy. That you for coming online and making hundreds educated. It's my dream to study in America and study American Law. This is the first step to my dream ladder. So, thank you so much. You are making someone's dream come true.

By Emily T

Jun 11, 2017

I quite enjoyed everything about this course. Having mini-quizzes during each section of the lecture really helped refocus and emphasize the important points of each video, and the professors, with the exception of one, were interesting an did a great job at making the introductory lessons interesting. I would recommend this course to anyone thinking about going to law school.