Back to An Introduction to American Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to American Law by University of Pennsylvania

This course will give you a glimpse into six different areas of American law: Tort Law, Contract Law, Property, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure. You will gain insight into the complexities and dilemmas that arise from the application of law in different settings, and what is distinctive about American approaches....

AA
Sep 16, 2018

I enjoyed this course and it helped me to understand the basic parts of American Law. My only suggestion is to provide even more cases as examples to demonstrate the doctrines and statutes. Thank you.

AT
Apr 9, 2020

A great first step on understanding the basic principles of American Law, providing an insight into impact on the systems we encounter on a daily basis and how these systems have developed over time.

676 - 700 of 768 Reviews for An Introduction to American Law

By Любовь К

Jun 3, 2020

Overall, the course is good. It gives a very superficial idea of the legislative framework in the United States. I would like a more detailed analysis of some sections. Personally, I did not like the module of constitutional law, because the lecturer constantly read the transcript and it seemed that he did not understand what he was saying. And so - normal, but a little weak

By Bridgitte T

Aug 5, 2020

The course content is really engaging and the lectures opened up a new world of American civics for me. However, in this course, you learn more about law from a philosophical standpoint than from an actual "law student's" view. At times the videos were long and some points are made over and over again, but in the end, I have learned a great many things about American law.

By Amit K

Apr 23, 2018

A very well thought out selection of lectures and topics to provide an introduction to someone without any prior knowledge of the American legal system. At the same time, these lectures have enough food for thought for the engaged learner and should encourage further exploration of these topics. In my case, it led to several further readings and video watchings.

By Cera K

Mar 29, 2019

Great information! Interesting and for the most part quite easy to follow. I would suggest the creators find re-record the section on Civil Law, as the communication style used by the professor in this section is not nearly as clear as the other sections. I wish it went just a little more in depth, but absolutely excellent experience for a free course!

By Katie

Oct 6, 2020

Straightforward videos with decent content and good content. Some presenters are better than others, but overall, each section was valuable. The questions throughout the videos are a tad annoying because the content is too easy and they interrupt the flow. I appreciated the great introduction, however, and found the course quite helpful.

By Fabio P R

Apr 16, 2017

It is not as demanding as the courses offered by European universities, and this is a negative aspect. However, it provides a useful brief introduction of some key aspects of US Law to foreign lawyers in a very interesting way. It would be nice having entire courses to each of the topics exposed in this course.

By Gloria K W

Jan 25, 2017

It was helpful for me because I am involved in a law suit and I got to learn terminology and what to anticipate in the procedures. I gave only 4 stars because the timing of the course, during the holidays, didn't give any grace for time-out. I realize it's not expected, but that's my scoring. Well presented!

By reneryu

Nov 30, 2015

This course offers basic and essentiul knowledge about US laws including tort law, contract law, property law, constitution law and criminal law. The course is delivered by different lecturers specialized in each topic, thus the content is clear and well explained.

By Derrick J R

Sep 23, 2015

This was a great introductory course on the legal principles that govern our country. It was well instructed and easy to understand. My only grievance would be to have more testing involved so that the information will be transferred to the long term memory.

By Elizabeth S

Apr 17, 2018

This was a great way for me to start pursuing my interest in American law and I enjoyed it. Having a different professor for each week kept it interesting, and I have come away from this class with a solid overview of what each field of law has to offer.

By Christopher S

Jan 19, 2016

This course gives a wide view of the various aspects of American law and does so very well. I enjoyed the way each week was organized. I know that this was an introductory course but would've enjoyed a mechanism for studying some topics in more depth.

By Michael L

Feb 21, 2016

Nice overview class where you can get an introduction to different types of law. Would be nice to do a follow up course(given this seems to be a Intro to each of the First year law classes) on other areas(2nd year) etc type of law.

By Savanna A

Jul 7, 2017

Great, easy way to get familiar with a lot of different aspects of American Law. Introduces you to important topics, landmark cases, and helps you get familiar with the way that lawyers/law students talk about cases.

By M K

Jan 22, 2020

Very informative and interesting. I find law to be boring, as in I do not care it. However, this course shows that learning about law and lawyer things is quite fun and exciting.

great professor

By Orit Y

Apr 10, 2016

Excellent introduction to basic concepts in American law. Very clear lectures that are given by different faculty members for each topic. Easy to digest information even for non-lawyer types!

By 黄伊琳

Aug 11, 2016

This is a good course for beginners, but I already have a law degree, so it's too simple for me, I thought there will be some differences between Civil law and Common law, but ...

By Moshe

May 13, 2020

I didn't know anything about law before I began this course, after going through this course I feel like i have the basics down pat (although it feels like the very basics).

By Laurna M

Nov 10, 2015

I have enjoyed the course immensely so far and have now decided to return to college to study law. Thank you for providing such an excellent introduction to American Law.

By Sujata V

Sep 27, 2020

The course is well designed and effective at giving the learner a glimpse of American Law. The founding principles of American Law have been very clearly laid out.

By Kamil O

Jun 5, 2020

That was a very good course. However, in some parts it was too detailed, in some other parts too general. My opinion is very positive though! Thank you very much:)

By Pedro A V G

Jun 18, 2017

I have learned what I expected about the American Law system and enjoyed the process. Despite that, I would implement more ways of evaluation than only tests.

By William M

Nov 15, 2017

Good introductory-level course to multiple aspects of American law, particularly what is distinctive about U.S. law as compared to alternative legal choices.

By Ricardo A T

Sep 11, 2016

As the name says, the course it's only an introduction. It's too general but gives to the viewer, student, a basic idea of how the american law sistem works.

By Conor O

Aug 11, 2020

Perfect! The lectures were great, and the questions during the lectures kept you on your feet. It was a little monotone, but other than that, great!